Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 17:51   #76

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Why not a motor yacht?

This is what an Island bed (now full size king with household mattress) and a real galley looks like
The rest of the boat is to the same quality and proportions.

That is why I say you are not going to get this sort of comparison in a powercat for the money you are talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13626556_10206889288536576_6393718237100564242_n (1).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	164190   Click image for larger version

Name:	13692612_10206889291336646_6534974459496216781_n.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	164191  

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 21:14   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
This is what an Island bed (now full size king with household mattress) and a real galley looks like
The rest of the boat is to the same quality and proportions.

That is why I say you are not going to get this sort of comparison in a powercat for the money you are talking about
Thanks for being predictable. I even warned you ahead of time and you fell for it.

As soon as I threw out an option, you would clarify your expectations to justify your boat not to show that it's not viable.

You may have found an excellent deal on a used boat but comparing like for like (not stray deals where you take the seller for well below market value) you'll pay at least as much if not more for a monohull trawler.

Here is a comparable vintage quality 60ish foot trawler. They are asking $1.1million. That's almost 5 times the price of your example and double the price if you bought the example brand new. You can go on about the quality and reputation of the nordhaven but that wasn't the point. The point is it's viable to build a long range cruising catamaran:

2004 Nordhavn 62 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

To the OP: Here's an example of a production cruising catamaran with excellent livability. Maybe the run from the US west coast to Polynesia is beyond it's capability but they have transport services that can do that for you. With 2-3 transports factored in, you don't need to move up to a crazy expensive boat if you did want to do a round the world trip. If you really did want to do it under your own power, adding an extra couple hundred gallons of fuel storage would be possible to make up the difference.

This is not even a cat really focused on long range. If you got one focused on range, it's very possible. Might not be able to haul 1500gal of water along but you could live a very comfortable lifestyle on passage.

Then again the vast majority of cruisers who think about ocean crossing and round the world...never do it. There's a lot of capable boats than never leave the sight of land. Think long and hard before spending the money and making the trade offs to get such a boat if you won't use that capability.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 21:48   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

As soon as I threw out an option, you would clarify your expectations to justify your boat not to show that it's not viable.
It is not viable to me, I made that point pretty clear at the start yet you continue to babble on about cats that are not suitable for me
while trying to claim that they are.

Boring.

As far as claiming I got a one off deal and that everyone else has to pay $1 mill for what we have that to is laughable.
The sister ship to ours is for sale at the moment after an extensive refit for about $300k
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...cruiser/206741

Far mor substantial and comfortable as a live aboard and most likely more economical than that small power cat you keep pushing
Its like comparing a mansion to a caravan and saying they are the same because they all have a bed a bathroom and a kitchen.
Old 14-02-2018, 22:30   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It is not viable to me, I made that point pretty clear at the start yet you continue to babble on about cats that are not suitable for me
while trying to claim that they are.

Boring.

As far as claiming I got a one off deal and that everyone else has to pay $1 mill for what we have that to is laughable.
The sister ship to ours is for sale at the moment after an extensive refit for about $300k
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...cruiser/206741

Far mor substantial and comfortable as a live aboard and most likely more economical than that small power cat you keep pushing
Its like comparing a mansion to a caravan and saying they are the same because they all have a bed a bathroom and a kitchen.
I was just saying that a long range cat is a viable comfortable option. You are the one who kept trying to compare it to your particular boat.

Could you enlighten us? On the advertisement, it lists "timber" for the hull and there is no age listed. How old and what is the actual hull material?
- Relatively new cold molded and fiberglassed from day one, wouldn't be my first choice but might consider it if it otherwise met my needs.
- Old strip planked and that's a deal killer.
Old 15-02-2018, 01:34   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
. . . . The motor trawler owners mostly seem to use them for extended gunkholing trips. I think they're probably perfect for that and economical to operate that way once purchased.. .
Although I am passionate about sailing, but in my youth I did a lot of gunkholing around SW Florida and the Keys with my dad in our 37' monohull sailboat, and although we had an epic amount of fun, the amount of actual sailing enjoyment we got was close to zero. A trawler would have been a far better platform for this particular activity -- particularly the nice view of the water from inside the boat and the excellent outdoor spaces, for being at anchor. We mostly lived in the cramped cockpit (under a bimini) to avoid being in the cave below. It was great, because we didn't know any better, but it would have been much better still on a trawler.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 02:03   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I was just saying that a long range cat is a viable comfortable option. You are the one who kept trying to compare it to your particular boat.
And I agreed, a long range cat is a viable option but you never presented on.
What you presented is a short range dare I say calm water boat.

The reason I compared it to ours is we actually have a long range boat and ideally wanted a cat (as mentioned) but to get similar comfort, range and some sort of load carrying ability is at least a $million difference between the two.

Quote:
Could you enlighten us? On the advertisement, it lists "timber" for the hull and there is no age listed. How old and what is the actual hull material?
- Relatively new cold molded and fiberglassed from day one, wouldn't be my first choice but might consider it if it otherwise met my needs.
- Old strip planked and that's a deal killer.
She's carvel timber vessel
Not old strip planked (strip plank is timber core with epoxy glass skins)
And not cold moulded.

You may not like carvel timber but they are still going strong after many glass, steel and alloy boats have died.
They do require love and maintenance (don't all boats?) But you have a $million+ in your pocket to do it compared to your nordhaven example, which, still requires maintenance as well.
Old 18-02-2018, 02:34   #82

To the OP: Timber boats can be had very cheap and if they were built properly, maintained and you know how to maintain them, they can last a long time.

They are gorgeous works of art and I love to see them on the water.

I'm sure you are going to hear a rebuttal to this post but do a lot of research before considering a wood boat. It's easy to get sucked in by the cheap purchase prices you'll find for wood boats. There is a reason you don't find many new wood cruising boats and the vast majority are slowly rotting away in the back of boat yards.

Also, don't get too hung up on the silly prices for ocean crossing boats. You can find much cheaper options on the used market. Do your research and get a good surveyor and the used market can get you a great coastal boat and then when you know more if you want you can consider if and how you want to cross oceans.
Old 24-03-2018, 01:23   #83

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

I once heard that the progression in life goes: Sailboat, Motorboat, Motorhome, Nursing Home ....
Not sure if it applies to everyone, but have seen some go from a sailboat to a trawler.
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:27   #84

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabago View Post
I once heard that the progression in life goes: Sailboat, Motorboat, Motorhome, Nursing Home ....
Not sure if it applies to everyone, but have seen some go from a sailboat to a trawler.
Maybe a floating condo prior to the Nursing Home.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 14:02   #85

Boat: Catalina 30

I enjoy reading these discussions. I am sailor, I love sailing. But, I have to give it up, my shoulders are no longer capable of life on a sail boat. So I am looking at a retirement/vacation boat. That boat has to be what some disparage as a house on water. It needs to be somewhat economical to run. Capable of living on the hook for long periods at a time. And, fun to drive, the view from a fly bridge is great.

I do want most of the amenities of living in a house. Space for stretching, a full galley, a real refrigerator, queen beds (without lee cloths), heads where your feet do not stick out in the companionway, not walking on the walls while heeling, not rocking and rolling in a tornado or heavy thunderstorm.

A trawler is great. I've been looking at those for decades. A motor yacht is great. I just looked at those. I've looked at large, 13m and longer, sailboats but cannot find a way to live on one. Even with adaptive technologies.

So I am ready to buy a 14.5 m motor yacht. She is what I would describe as a fixer upper. But she has good bones and is good enough to make it another 15 years at which time the authorities will be telling me to pack it in and make it to a home.
Old 24-03-2018, 14:27   #86

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
I enjoy reading these discussions. I am sailor, I love sailing. But, I have to give it up, my shoulders are no longer capable of life on a sail boat. So I am looking at a retirement/vacation boat. That boat has to be what some disparage as a house on water. It needs to be somewhat economical to run. Capable of living on the hook for long periods at a time. And, fun to drive, the view from a fly bridge is great.

I do want most of the amenities of living in a house. Space for stretching, a full galley, a real refrigerator, queen beds (without lee cloths), heads where your feet do not stick out in the companionway, not walking on the walls while heeling, not rocking and rolling in a tornado or heavy thunderstorm.

A trawler is great. I've been looking at those for decades. A motor yacht is great. I just looked at those. I've looked at large, 13m and longer, sailboats but cannot find a way to live on one. Even with adaptive technologies.

So I am ready to buy a 14.5 m motor yacht. She is what I would describe as a fixer upper. But she has good bones and is good enough to make it another 15 years at which time the authorities will be telling me to pack it in and make it to a home.
I hope you are not kidding your self? Are your bones up to the task?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, yacht