Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 15:24   #31

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'
Re: Why not a motor yacht?

I have a 1978 Hatteras 58' Yachtfish which is a 53' Motor Yacht with a cockpit. We have had it since 2002 and love it. It has stabilzers. For the first few years we went between the Chesapeake Bay and Ft Lauderdale. Diesel fuel was $1.00 a gallon and I went as fast I wanted depending on how much money I wanted to spend. Since then we have kept the boat in South Florida and gone to the Keys & the Bahamas. That's more than enough boating for us except maybe going up to Maine some summers. We have anchored out extensively and really enjoy it more than being in a marina. Next January we will be fully retired and will pretty much live on board except for visiting elderly parents and family. I generally travel at hull speed which is between 9 & 10 knots. I like being on the water and I am generally not in a hurry. If I need too, I can go 18 knots at 46 gallons per hour. I can't remember the last time, if ever, I needed to go that fast. I have Detroit Diesels. Every few months, I run it full speed for 10 or 15 minutes to "blow" it out.

If you expect to travel long distances like the Virgin Islands or Panama, you better have a lot of money.

I absolutely love the quietness of sailing. For me that's it. I have the money and I want space and comfort. You can buy an older motor yacht in reasonable shape in the $100k to $250k range. It really helps to be handy to be able to do routine repairs and maintenance. If you have to pay someone to do everything, it can get expensive, fast.

I like to be thrifty but not at the expense of being comfortable.

I would suggest the forum at Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:29   #32

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Pilothouse motorsailer?
Simple sail rig.
Small diesel to reach hull speed.Fuel efficient.
Stable due to sails.

]
You forgot Expensive
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:31   #33

Boat: Hunter 31

One more philosophical reason in favour of sailboats is the old adage that sailing is about the journey while motoring is about the destination. Many of us enjoy the activity of sailing which is truly glorious. Sometimes, even the thought of going sailing makes living on the boat exciting and purposeful.

For me, there is nothing glorious about motoring at whatever speed (and I used to drive fast RNLI boats). In fact, I think there is more excitement in driving on a mountainous road than in motoring. So, the only reason to have a motorboat is to use it as a moving home from one place to the other or for a specific activity (fishing, impressing friends, parties). Thus, I can't get excited about being on the water in a powerboat but this is just me.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
. So, the only reason to have a motorboat is to use it as a moving home from one place to the other or for a specific activity (fishing, impressing friends, parties). Thus, I can't get excited about being on the water in a powerboat but this is just me.
Try living aboard full time with all the gear for a comfortable lifestyle on your 31ft hunter and report back.

Your views may have changed
Old 13-02-2018, 16:15   #35

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I'm just now shopping for a part time live aboard. Only had smaller sailboats.

But here are some of my thoughts:

Sailing takes more work and skill which I think contributes to lower prices, especially on the used market.

If you want to go large distances between fuel docks, sailing vessels are likely multiple times cheaper to purchase than a power boat. Bigger fuel tank requires bigger boat. Bigger boat burns more fuel per mile (on average) therefore needs a bigger tank. Bigger tank requires an even bigger boat...

I'm guessing some just love to sail, especially when they turn off the engine(s).

Personally, my brain would rather spend money in chunks (new rigging, sails) and less when using. I can't just swipe my CC without thinking about fuel economy. But dropping even more money ever so often tricks my brain, even if the REAL cost per mile is higher. In other words, going for day sail will likely burn a couple of dollars in fuel. On a power boat that might be a few hundred dollars.

-Chris
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm just now shopping for a part time live aboard. Only had smaller sailboats.

But here are some of my thoughts

You need to read post 25 for the dockheads wise words of reality.

In our case a decent live aboard sailing boat with comparable comfort would cost 10x more than what we currently enjoy.
Old 13-02-2018, 20:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You need to read post 25 for the dockheads wise words of reality.

In our case a decent live aboard sailing boat with comparable comfort would cost 10x more than what we currently enjoy.
i read post #6 again from Dockhead and I see nothing contradictory to my statements.

Show me a power boat with 1500-2000 NM range. Of course a 36-40 catamaran or 40 ft mono can do this for much less money from my research.

I have yet to see a long distance semi or full displacement hull that I would want to live in part time and can afford. Especially with marina fees all the time. I'm still relatively young (46) and I can't get a large boat and continue to grow my net worth. The plan is to buy a larger boat when I go full time, assuming I want to go full time and want a bigger boat.

-Chris
Old 13-02-2018, 21:20   #38

Quote:
i read post #6 again from Dockhead and I see nothing contradictory to my statements.

Show me a power boat with 1500-2000 NM range. Of course a 36-40 catamaran or 40 ft mono can do this for much less money from my research.
We have a 3500 nm range and I know of several around our size with close to double that.
We paid less for her than a friend did for a 15 year old 42ft mono.
Old 13-02-2018, 21:23   #39

Quote:
We have a 3500 nm range and I know of several around our size with close to double that.
We paid less for her than a friend did for a 15 year old 42ft mono.
And what nmpg does that 60' boat get? What ballpark pricing are we talking?
I would still get ate up on Marina fees, or feel that I would. Plus cleaning and upkeep. 60' ain't not joke.

-Chris
Old 13-02-2018, 21:37   #40

Everything depends on what you want to do with a boat.
Most boats leave the dock four times a year on average.
Since I work five days a week my boat gets to go on one or two adventures each summer and the occasional long weekend. I have had several sailboats and now have a displacement trawler. When I retire, I will probably keep this trawler and add a sailboat somewhere with different seasons and tradewinds.
My trawler burns about one gallon of diesel every 3-4 hours, but I could get it up to burning a gallon an hour. In summer where I live the winds are light and variable and it wasn't unusual for me to spend 5-10 hours sailing from my dock to my favorite nearby island. With the trawler it takes about 3 hours because I am not constantly trying to see if I can sail. I would prefer not to hear the engine which is why I keep hoping to switch to electric if batteries ever have a storage breakthrough.
My uncle circumnavigated but he said he ran his motor about half of the time. I think he may have been exaggerating, but back then I'm pretty sure he only had the engine to charge the batteries. I have a nice flat roof on my boat for solar panels, so I can sit at anchor until I run out of food and water without running the motor. I have to use it to move though, so my days of sailing on and off my anchor are on hold for a few more years.
Old 13-02-2018, 21:38   #41

Quote:
And what nmpg does that 60' boat get? What ballpark pricing are we talking?
I would still get ate up on Marina fees, or feel that I would. Plus cleaning and upkeep. 60' ain't not joke.

-Chris
7000 litres should give approx 3500nm @ 1150rpm & 7.5 knots
Ballpark pricing was as stated, less money than my mates 15 year old 42 fter
We pay nothing in marina fees as we live aboard on the hook cruising
Sure, more maintenance than a 40 fter but not much more if you can do some yourself.
Consider this, living aboard a boat you probably wont have a house or car to clean or upkeep.

The point is you said it was a mythical beast but its not.
They are out there, you just have to look.
Old 13-02-2018, 21:44   #42

Quote:
7000 litres should give approx 3500nm @ 1150rpm & 7.5 knots
Ballpark pricing was as stated, less money than my mates 15 year old 42 fter
We pay nothing in marina fees as we live aboard on the hook cruising
Sure, more maintenance than a 40 fter but not much more if you can do some yourself.
I did a little research and I love the big boat with two smaller diesels. Seems a rare combination. Didn't see any for sale locally. One in AU for 450K AUD.

If I was going to live full time, length would be helpful not hurtful.

You seem to have got a good deal. Hard to tell how good since 42's have a very wide price range.

I would still have a big pill to swallow to refill and swipe the CC for $5-6000 USD.

Happy motoring.

-Chris
Old 13-02-2018, 22:07   #43

Quote:

I would still have a big pill to swallow to refill and swipe the CC for $5-6000 USD.
Its pretty much a years worth of cruising
If buying when low that diesel in our tanks earns better "interest" than leaving the money in the bank.

Oh, and we are single screw, less maintenance again.
Old 13-02-2018, 22:17   #44

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Why not a motor yacht?
The wind is blowing and you can't even use it? Sad.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 22:29   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The wind is blowing and you can't even use it? Sad.
The wind is blowing 25 knots now and I see sailboats motoring but not very well
Before the 25 knots kicked in there was no wind and they were motoring then to.
Expensive sails expensive mast winches rigging all requiring capital outlay and maintenance for what?

Tags
motor, yacht