Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 08:51   #1

Boat: Gulfstar, power cruiser, 44 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Elektra
Question Why does water back up into the bathtub?

We have a 44 ft, 1980 Gulfstar power cruiser and every day we have to turn on the pump in the head because of water in the bath tub. What causes this?
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 09:27   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Why does water back up into the bathtub?

Uhhhh....

Is it fresh water, gray water, salt water, or.... er... black water?

What kind of "pump in the head" are you turning on? Sump? Macerator? Or...?

-Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 10:52   #3

Fresh water......pump has to be turned on when taking a shower..... Sink drain- bath and kitchen- backs up into tub....... Overboard discharge fitting appears to be higher than tub
Old 31-03-2014, 10:59   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Sounds like it is just water draining back down the discharge line, is it a centrifugal pump or a diaphragm pump? If centrifugal replace it with a diaphragm and if it already is a diaphragm pump the valves are leaking (rebuilt or replace it).
Old 31-03-2014, 12:00   #5

Maybe all those sources are draining into a sump that has a non-functional sump (bilge) pump inside? Perhaps the tub is the lowest receptacle that water can overflow into from a non-functioning sump?

-Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 12:29   #6

Thks for your thoughts. Maybe faulty reasoning on my part, but I would expect salt water, not fresh, if the pump were leaking by. Drains are connected on the suction side of the pump.I traced the lines by hand, there is no sump between tub drain and hull discharge. Maybe there should be, and that is the problem.
Old 31-03-2014, 12:35   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Thks for your thoughts. Maybe faulty reasoning on my part, but I would expect salt water, not fresh, if the pump were leaking by. Drains are connected on the suction side of the pump.I traced the lines by hand, there is no sump between tub drain and hull discharge. Maybe there should be, and that is the problem.
No, it's the fresh water in the line between the pump and the outlet flowing back down
Old 31-03-2014, 13:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post

I was thinking of a situation where freshwater from the tub drain, shower drain, and both bath and kitchen sink drains, is routed to a sump. The sump pump (bilge pump) would then normally pump that fresh water overboard through a discharge hose.

You did say it's fresh water backing up into the tub... I don't see a source for salt water anywhere in a scenario like that.

If you traced the tub discharge hose directly to an overboard outlet... I'd think the only way you'd get back-up (and it would be raw water in this case), is if that outlet is submerged. And that'd be a bad thing

When you were tracing that line, is there anyway you could have made some kind of unseen jump from tub drain hose to overboard discharge hose? Perhaps in a space you couldn't see well? Feeling your way by hand?

-Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 13:03   #9
cruiser

From your description, it sounds like there's a common grey water sump or gulper pumps servicing the shower and sink drains that should be turned on whenever you use any of those utilities. If you don't turn on the sink gulper pump, then it probably would just back up into the lowest point which is the shower.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water