Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2008, 03:00   #91

Jetty hoppers are an interesting phenomenon. These are people who have very little interest in going somewhere on their boats and instead stay to the maximum time allowed on a jetty and then move to the nearest adjacent.....then move back.....If you have a number of them then the jetties are permanently full. Indeed I know of some who "actively" swop places. The end result is thems that make the rules say no overnight stays....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:55   #92

Boat: Custom 70' Steel Trawler - MOSEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by timinfla2 View Post
I hope I'm not being redundant by asking this but is there a listing of clubs and/or marinas that allow liveaboards? I'm specifically interested in the Boca Raton area.

Thank you!

-Tim
Hey Tim -- do a google search using "skipper bob liveaboard marinas" and you will find multiple hits on live aboard marinas in the area.
kchumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 18:01   #93

Boat: Island Packet 45 - Far Niente
Transients also 1.) buy more diesel, 2.) spend more to pump out, 3.) pay more for needed supplies at the marina - live aboards go to the local, cheaper alternative and 4.) spend more at the cafe/coffee shop.
JeffGIP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 23:04   #94

Restricting pecentage of time that you can use your personal property, boat, is palpably repugnant to property ownership in USA. I had lived aboard my boat in Long Beach Marina, CA from 1959 (Slip rent was $.25 per foot per month, no Liveaboard fee, $15 month for my 60 footer) to 1986 to when I retired and left CA (Slip rent increased to $9.50 per foot per month plus liveaboard fees, total $770 per month). The substantal increase was pure avarice as the City of LB had revenue surpluses at the $.25 per foot rate. Comparative expense to a marina for a liveaboard to a non liveaboard cannot be measured as most unoccupied boats have very complex electronic, water purification, air conditioning, security, etc. systems running continuously. The security factor cannot be overstated as I personally safeguarded my gangway from crimes, drownings and boat loss on hundreds of occasions. CA Marinas have turned into over regulated, very expensive boat parking lots as compared to the happy boating enviornment of 50 years ago.
Sal DeSimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38   #95

Send a message via ICQ to Einarr Send a message via Yahoo to Einarr Send a message via Skype™ to Einarr
Hello all, I am fairly new at this, dont even have a boat yet.

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading all 7 pages of these posts. And I have noticed several common denominators in all of it.

1. A good portion of the marine managers are not boating people, they are corporate people. It seems that we could correct this problem by encouraging boaters and liveaboards to become the managers.

2. That it is the trashy, unkempt unseaworthy boats that are causing the dislike and discontent. It also seems that WE could correct this by talking to the management of the marinas and ADVOCATING standards that would limit this as a problem.

3. That marina rates are going up as a result of big corporation buying out the little guy. Seems that we could correct this one as well. Simply by forming our own 'Slip owners corporation' and buying a marina. That way the Boat owners get to make the rules.

4. That there are many people that hook it. This is great. Wish I could. But that there is a great lack of dinghy docking. See points 2 and 3.

5. That many cities and counties are legislating liveaboards out of existance. Vote, run for office, get elected. That is why we have elections.

I know that many who are liveaboards are people who hate the system and enjoy the freedom that boats provide. But it is their game and wether we like it or not to win the game or even come to a tie, we have to play by their rules.

TANSTAAFL
Einarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04   #96

Send a message via ICQ to Einarr Send a message via Yahoo to Einarr Send a message via Skype™ to Einarr
One additional thought.

Would it not be better to take all of that stuff you dont need, sell it and put the money in a long term interest account and use it for cruising kitty?

Seems to me that it is money wasted twice, once in not using it and secondly haveing to pay sotrage fees for it.

TANSTAAFL
Einarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:25   #97

Whatever the real reason, they'll say it's because of insurance.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:48   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal DeSimone View Post
Restricting pecentage of time that you can use your personal property, boat, is palpably repugnant to property ownership in USA....
Unfortunately, for most of us, the slip in not our personal property - it belongs to the Marina owner, and how we use his property, is up to him.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 11:36   #99

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
WHY DO MARINAS HATE LIVEABOARDS

I Live in a marina ,Nc.. The marina I live in allows short term and ownership slips. One of the reasons i purchased my slip is it allows liveaboards, has a wonderful club house with many amenites and laundry and is always clean

It also was a wonderful investment..
It is one of the few marinas in the area that allows liveaboard
the transients come and go but the liveaboards who own the slips make
the marina, they care about how it looks and how its taken care of and it shows each day

Other places weve stayed in the past transient liveaboards came and went and paid no attention to anything but using the bathroom and showers or laundry.. manytimes they left a mess or their boat was a site.. there were a few marinas we turned into that we didnt stay as they were just too lived in!!!!! UNKEPT and the boats really showed it

Kathleen
s/\v Legacy
ask me about my slip for sale
hasuehounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 12:18   #100
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasuehounds View Post
One of the reasons i purchased my slip is it allows liveaboards, has a wonderful club house with many amenites and laundry and is always clean

It also was a wonderful investment..
It is one of the few marinas in the area that allows liveaboard
the transients come and go but the liveaboards who own the slips make
the marina, they care about how it looks and how its taken care of and it shows each day

ask me about my slip for sale

Um... if it's so great, why are you selling the slip?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 13:15   #101

why marinas hate liveaboards (answer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Um... if it's so great, why are you selling the slip?
Its time to move on. It was a lucky chance of fate we purchased the slip, we had been looking forward to moving south to winter in bahamas.
The day we closed on the slip I was in an accident i shattered my femur (right leg)
Obviously i couldnt walk and moving the boat was out of the question since i spent alot of time in the hospital and in rehap..
So it was ablessing in disquise we had gotton the slip, now Im well and the boat is ready we want to sell it to someone who will enjoy the town and the area and living aboard..

Kathleen
s/v Legacy
Old 21-07-2008, 12:44   #102

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 35 Suncoast Ladee
I lived aboard for a period of about 5years. I lived aboard in South Carolina, Alabama and Florida. The only place I had any trouble with was Florida. In Florida if you are a liveaboard the state wants the marina to collect a lifeaboard tax from you and most marinas don't want to be bothered.
PDEVOLEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 16:26   #103

do marinas seem to hate liveaboards?

Keith
I think you hit the nail on the head. Most marinas like liveaboards when it suits their purposes, like filling empty spots in the off season.
I know the marina we live in encourages slip rentals, but has just recently had a rate hike in prices per foot over the winter.
They dont encourage long range stay as when it gets busy and people are in and out and need a slip for the night they want to have an opening not someone taking up space
There are all kinds of liveaboards, weve shared docks with people with kids, people moving thru and people who planted roots.. Some were very nice some were noisy and pesty and some just didnt bother you..
I think its the people who live at the dock, how they respect others and how they represent themselves that makes a differnce in liveaboards.

Kathleen
s/v legacy
oriental nc
Old 21-07-2008, 18:41   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Perhaps most marinas simply don't like the additional costs of people living on their boats? Liveaboards generally mean additional trash, additional power, fuller parking lots with junker cars that cant move, crap on the docks, additional water, yapping dogs, junk boats that look ugly and never move, additional sewage and additional wear and tear to everything. Of course not all liveaboards are like this but enough of them are like this.

Like most things, it could amount to simple economics. Most marinas I have been to are businesses and not public housing projects. If someone does want to liveaboard then they should pay more to compensate the owner for their additional burdens.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 04:02   #105

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 35 Suncoast Ladee
David.

Any marina that I ever used as a liveaboard charged for power and water, garbage and etc. You were also told what you could or couldn't keep in the marina. I have even stayed in marinas that wouldn't accept houseboats or sailboats as they claimed they were the worst offenders of the things you mention.
PDEVOLEJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas