Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 01:38   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Why did you run away to sea?

I need something to do and something to look forward to. ....a boat and traveling fullfill the above for me.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It's interesting that a person and the earth contains about the same percentage of water.
How so?

The volume of a human is something like 75% water.
The volume of the earth is something less than 5% water as the oceans make up only a very thin outer layer.

If you are thinking surface area that doesn't work either.
The surface fo the earth is something like 75% water.
If you are generous and consider eyes, mouth and other mucus membranes to be "water" it's likely down around 5%.

The interesting thing is, if you remove the organic components from blood plasma, the salt makeup is almost identical to sea water.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:09   #63

Im not going to BS any of you by saying id go to sea because it touches my heart. Id go to run away FROM the BS.

I knew people who ran away, some were on the lamb for some alleged misdeeds, some thought it better than paying alimony or credit cards. Some joined the merchant marines for all that and if my heart is anywhere its with them. And arrrrghhhh pirates. I always wanted to be a one-legged pirate issuing commands to his cutthroat, villainous crew with unspoken backgrounds.

I first ran away by land and next is by sea because i'd rather take my chances on sharks, floating debris, whale strikes and storms than Obama and Sanders and Trump and Hillary and thats the long and short of it.

Its wiser to run to something better than to run away from something bad but life is unfortunately full of exceptions.
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 16:21   #64

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

I am breathless, totally and completely astounded by the unexpected responses to my submission to this thread...I sit here with hands on the keyboard, overwhelmed, not able to think of anything to say that is bigger, more able to shower-in-kind the feelings of gratitude, than 'Thank You' to Gian, Pelagic, Sandero, & Hsi88, but also to others who have shared their stories that echo and touch, but may not have such fulsome responses.

I have a question for EBEN that was first brought up by TINKERMAN69: Why are you asking us for our stories?? Could you share more of yours with us? (if you haven't already...I've not gone through the whole of these pages--will have to later, as the workday has begun and I'm still sitting here drinking coffee) Must go. Thank you, again, All.

D.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 20:29   #65

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I think it is in the blood.
Although I was a late starter at age 60 I first looked at the possibility of a live aboard in my student days as cheap accomodation.
I also had a grandfather who was a Master Mariner and my brother went to sea at age 15 and worked his way up to Master Mariner on oil tankers.
As a species human behaviour is incredibly diverse and driven by the interaction of genes and environment. Some of us are "stay at homes" and builders. But a percentage are the adventurers, the risk takers, the ones that have got to see what is over the mountain or across the ocean. This has allowed us to be arguably the most successful species and spread across the globe.
Unfortunately there are no more new mountains to conquer or oceans to cross but the drive to wander and explore is still strong in many of us.
Old 02-12-2015, 20:46   #66

Originally the plan was to avoid child support, then I had some trouble with the law after I had already accrued some debts to some unpleasant people I couldn't pay off before finally I started getting stalked by a jealous ex lover.

I guess you could say things just sort of came together for me in a way that made sense. Haven't looked back since. Although I do occasionally check my six.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 21:40   #67

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

Jimi Hendrix once said, "If I'm free, it's because I'm always running"

I'm going for the freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-12-2015, 21:47   #68

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

LOTS of interesting answers & insights in here! Too many to read them all, especially with the linked Doctoral Thesis & all
I do really Luv the philosophical bent of this thread!

That said:
- There's the "Peter Pan Complex". AKA never wanting to fully grow up. Guilty on this one.
- And the obvious: The peace & simplicity of things at sea (Land living is crazy, & full of little reward by comparison).
- Finally, there are the below, immortal bits of wisdom...

A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN’S BOOK, WANDERER

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… “cruising” it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Sterling Hayden

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 21:54   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Don't understand why do you think people always have to be running away to go to sea. I grew up on boats I could walk on a boat by 6 months of age but took another 6 to do on land. The best things that have happened to me were on the water. I get land sick. I always sleep better on the water.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 22:49   #70

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GafferMate View Post
I have a question for EBEN that was first brought up by TINKERMAN69: Why are you asking us for our stories?? Could you share more of yours with us? (if you haven't already...I've not gone through the whole of these pages--will have to later, as the workday has begun and I'm still sitting here drinking coffee) Must go. Thank you, again, All.

D.
A few reasons...

Firstly they are fascinating!

I was having a particularly rough day and needed some "escapism".

I was trying to do a sanity check (might not be the right forum for that!?).

It seemed like a good idea at the time!

I haven't really got any stories of my own yet, I am working on it though...

In my defence: I was left unsupervised!
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:46   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I was reading this thread again and considering the "away" word within the title. We spend our time either underway, anchored out or at a dock. During our time at anchor or docked we are not so much "away" from those that are not "to sea". Although we may arrive by bicycle or dinghy, we are in the grocery store with those who are not "at sea".

It seems to me that the great majority of those of us who are cruising and living aboard their boats are not away from society and culture, but simply mobile. We have about thirty ports that have a sense of home and community. Thirty places where we have friends and where we provision for our cruising.

I'm not discounting that there are those that run away to sea and live a life separate from shore side community, but they are few. Most of us are free and mobile, but not actually away.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:40   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Nice thoughts Hudson....made me think of this
https://youtu.be/lbjZPFBD6JU
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 21:12   #73

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
A few reasons...

Firstly they are fascinating!

I was having a particularly rough day and needed some "escapism".

I was trying to do a sanity check (might not be the right forum for that!?).

It seemed like a good idea at the time!

I haven't really got any stories of my own yet, I am working on it though...

In my defence: I was left unsupervised!

Thank you, Eben...I just took a few minutes during this lunch break to look at your profile, learn a little more about you. I hadn't realized many things, particularly that you now own a particularly famous boat. I can only imagine how that blessing can also produce days of needing an escape from the real/implied responsibilities beyond the norm.

I can understand wanting to hear other people's stories, but I would challenge that you do not yet have a story of your own. If and when you want to share that, I would very much like to know how the process of buying your boat felt, BEFORE it became a reality to you and your wife. For myself, having built and lived and loved PILAR for so many years (and more to come), there are times when I do think about what it would be like to have to sell her--or more specifically, WHO WOULD I SELL HER TO?? My boat is not famous, but for all boats that are well-loved beyond any landsman's comprehension, my concern for delivering her into safe hands is not less than that of your boat's former owners.

I've often felt the comparison of owning a boat is similar to that of care giving to a Special Needs child--a lot of responsibility, they cannot take care of themselves, but the joyful rewards they can return for being well-cared for, are deeply satisfying. Life-affirming.

my best wishes for you and your wife on your new adventure...Diane
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21   #74

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

I don't know why, I just want to...

Honest answer... Lol

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 13:04   #75

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GafferMate View Post
Thank you, Eben...I just took a few minutes during this lunch break to look at your profile, learn a little more about you. I hadn't realized many things, particularly that you now own a particularly famous boat. I can only imagine how that blessing can also produce days of needing an escape from the real/implied responsibilities beyond the norm.

I can understand wanting to hear other people's stories, but I would challenge that you do not yet have a story of your own. If and when you want to share that, I would very much like to know how the process of buying your boat felt, BEFORE it became a reality to you and your wife.
Ah yes indeed we own a little wooden vessel that's been around the block a few times.

As for the real/implied responsibilities... There's only a small expectation from Lin and Larry. It's to enjoy Taleisin and sail her HARD. It was made clear to us that we shouldn't take it easy on Taleisin.

As for the story about how and why we bought Taleisin... There was actually a lot that lead up to it, and you're right it's an incredible story (stuff you can't make up, well at least I can't). Telling that story would cause a lot of unwanted complications to life as we know it. Believe me when I say that I'd love to tell it, but at the same time I also need to protect the guilty because I wouldn't love the fall out.

In the mean time I've started to publish some of the stories here: The new adventures of Taleisin

Now that I've made that link public the criticisms will start, the caveat is as follows. This is still very much a work in progress, while I am a programmer/hacker, I'm not a designer or creative. I've not had the time to put enough effort into this site to consider it ready for public consumption, unfortunately I have contractual obligations keeping me quite busy at the moment - but I'm working on freeing my time up =)
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote