Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 19:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420 Cat 42'
Who's still cranking the winch?

OK My wife and I have a bet going. We are in our mid 50s and planning to move aboard and cruise full time within 5-7 years. We are both in decent health at the moment. We own a 44 foot Gulfstar mono and we love to sail. I'm thinking I can live aboard until I'm at least 80. She thinks much less.

I'd like to hear how many of you senior sailors are still living the dream or at least how long you made it.

We also think that moving up to a Cat might get us a few more years but who knows.

Give us some inspiration!
joesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 19:10   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Who's still cranking the winch?

We have been sailing for more than 40 years, and no end in sight.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 04:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We're both 70 and just moved off our boat after living aboard and cruising for 45 years. I would have kept cruising, but my wife has mobility limitations and she could no longer manage the companionway steps or moving easily to and from the dock.

We loved cruising, but I'm not easily disappointed,- 'plenty of adventure remains.
Old 27-06-2017, 07:32   #4

I am 70... still love to sail and mess about on the boat. But everything takes longer... Fact is you sit mostly and most things which require effort can be done with power assist... winches... windlass... steering. I can't sail or take the risks I did 20 years ago.. but I am not stopping any time soon. Planning to sail the boat to Antigua this Fall... with crew of course... no more single handing on passages.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:24   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I'm 68 and my wife is 70. We still sail and enjoy our 42' mono. Of course things seem to take more effort than they did 15 years ago. Just getting the covers off and getting underway is more of an effort but still manageable and worth it. There are of course solutions for easing a lot of the work on board such as electric winches, smaller sails, in mast or in boom furling, etc.

As John Glenn said, "For all the advances in modern medicine there's still no cure for the common birthday."

Go sailing. Enjoy each day. Live long and prosper.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just finally sold dads 42 spencer he decided his eyesight was to poor now days for sail. Bought a bayliner 3888 to cruise on now. (Not singlehanded) he is showing no signs of slowing down. He will be 93 in a couple months. So keep on for keeping on untill you decide you want to move back to that accursed dirt dwelling stuff.
Old 27-06-2017, 08:37   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

My neighbor in Pembroke was still sailing a 37ft boat solo round the Irish and Celtic seas at 90. The adage 'use it or loose it' is absolutely true
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:52   #8

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesail View Post
OK My wife and I have a bet going. We are in our mid 50s and planning to move aboard and cruise full time within 5-7 years. We are both in decent health at the moment. We own a 44 foot Gulfstar mono and we love to sail. I'm thinking I can live aboard until I'm at least 80. She thinks much less.

I'd like to hear how many of you senior sailors are still living the dream or at least how long you made it.

We also think that moving up to a Cat might get us a few more years but who knows.

Give us some inspiration!
I am starting to entertain a cat more with my liveaboard goals. Initial thought is that the money saved with the mono could make several things more convenient. Then again, technological conveniences are only great when they are working.

Also....the exercise involved in doing things manually could actually extend ones cruising longevity.

Outfitting the cruiser....the dilemnas never end.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:01   #9

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I'm 62 and preparing a 45 ft steel ketch for a multi year circumnavigation, I still crank the winches, ride a the homemade folding bike, row the homemade nesting dinghy etc. etc. I'm also looking for a mate so send them my way if you know any prospects, no smoking, athletic, educated would make a good start.

I also will have aboard a washer/drier, electric microwave convection oven in addition to regular propane stove and oven , bread maker, walk in tub, and lots of other things not normally found on a boat of this size. So life shouldn't be that much of a change from what many people consider normal.

For the mechanical creative people, how about a welder, and milling machine/lathe.
Old 27-06-2017, 09:05   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420 Cat 42'

Wow, folks still sailing in their 90s. That gives me hope. I have a dream to live aboard and cruise until health permits. I don't like the idea of spending the money on a Cat when my mono is paid for but a Cat seems like It might get me another 10 years of sailing with walk in salon and more room to maneuver. Might need some extra room to get to the helm with my walker at 90.

Better than aging into a trawler.
joesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:08   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1

68 and still chugging along. Age is a state of mind.

I do however, wish I had a furling main, as this has become one of the more difficult chores for me, particularly when the deck is pitching.

If your health allows it, go for it. You only go around once.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:23   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

69 this year and not even have self tailing winches as yet.
not going to change boats merely due to age--i have the ultimate boat for sola cruising now.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:23   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesail View Post
Wow, folks still sailing in their 90s. That gives me hope. I have a dream to live aboard and cruise until health permits. I don't like the idea of spending the money on a Cat when my mono is paid for but a Cat seems like It might get me another 10 years of sailing with walk in salon and more room to maneuver. Might need some extra room to get to the helm with my walker at 90.

Better than aging into a trawler.
He only gave up because the anti-fouling and winter maintenance got to much! I have also met people who still run marathons in there 80's. Look up the record for the combined age of a transatlantic crew, I think it was set by a bunch in there late eighties but spoiled when there wive insisted on taking the grandson for safety who was a mere 60+. The key is to get fit and healthy now then stay that way with good food, exercise and low stress - which describes cruising
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Look up the record for the combined age of a transatlantic crew, I think it was set by a bunch in there late eighties but spoiled when there wive insisted on taking the grandson for safety who was a mere 60+.
Okay, I searched for it and couldn't find it...

Seems a bit of BS, but I guess possible. 89 yo had baby at age 14 and that baby had a baby at age 14. That would have the grandson at 61. Guess you could go 15/13, but either way still seems a bit BS. Of course, if the grandfather was 93 you could get 16/16.

If you can find the information, it can be cleared up.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:08   #15

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
He only gave up because the anti-fouling and winter maintenance got to much! I have also met people who still run marathons in there 80's. Look up the record for the combined age of a transatlantic crew, I think it was set by a bunch in there late eighties but spoiled when there wive insisted on taking the grandson for safety who was a mere 60+. The key is to get fit and healthy now then stay that way with good food, exercise and low stress - which describes cruising
Bought my first full sized sailboat three months ago. I can't hardly believe how much work is involved in bottom maintenance.

Shudder to think how much a big boat yard would charge for a good job. I suspect that some do not, in fact, do a good job. A good job may be four times as much work. How do we really know how many coats of what were applied? Paint can run from ~$80/gallon to ~$340/gallon.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch