Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 08:23   #16

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Who has a vacuum sealer?

We've been very happy with our Vacupack Elite. Not cheap or small, but does the job very well. This is sold by PMG, and support has been good.

Cheers,
Old 19-05-2020, 09:02   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Is there any way to make the bags more reusable? I almost got one, but the fact they are one-use items as opposed to the ziplocks I was using before (which I wash and reuse) made me think twice.
Old 19-05-2020, 09:21   #18

Boat: 30' Silver Streak Cuddy (on the hunt for a catamaran)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Is there any way to make the bags more reusable? I almost got one, but the fact they are one-use items as opposed to the ziplocks I was using before (which I wash and reuse) made me think twice.

We re-use ours several times. As was mentioned earlier, we sometimes end up with long tails. So we seal as close to the edge as possible. When we cut that seal, there is still a lot of bag left to re-use.

Several folks have brought up that they are not just for food. Spare parts and items for ditch bags are great ideas. When i was on active duty, we used a vacuum sealer to make our individual first aid pouches waterproof. I did the same thing for our boat, sealing items that go in the ditch bag.

The idea to store rubber items like an impeller is excellent! And we hadn’t considered sealing dry goods in serving-sized portions. That actually makes a lot of sense!
Waterdog247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:58   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
I have a foodsaver and mostly it works fine. I use the rolls to make bags to size. You do need to be careful or you won't seal it right.

I'm ditching zip lock bags as they don't last that long. I've gone to silicone zip bags and love them. More expensive than ziplocks but they should last forever so for the long haul will be cheaper and more importantly, reducing my plastic use.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:59   #20

As others have said we use it about half the time for food and half for other things. In addition to the already mentioned uses, it's great for storing off season clothes.

Like a Space-Bag but a lot more compressed and less air leakage. We've compressed blankets, jackets, etc, using the pleated rolls. The roll measures 10 3/16" across when flattened. Each side pleat measures 5 1/4", so you have more than 20" of it completely opened.

It takes a little practice leaving extra long tail so the pleats fold back flat at the sealing point.

We've also done toilet paper and paper towel rolls when space has been a premium or if water protection was needed.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:59   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdog247 View Post
We re-use ours several times. As was mentioned earlier, we sometimes end up with long tails. So we seal as close to the edge as possible. When we cut that seal, there is still a lot of bag left to re-use.

Several folks have brought up that they are not just for food. Spare parts and items for ditch bags are great ideas. When i was on active duty, we used a vacuum sealer to make our individual first aid pouches waterproof. I did the same thing for our boat, sealing items that go in the ditch bag.

The idea to store rubber items like an impeller is excellent! And we hadn’t considered sealing dry goods in serving-sized portions. That actually makes a lot of sense!
Ok, so cut it slight larger originally and then each time you reuse you carefully cut off the sealed part and the next seal is lower? That would help a lot, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I have a foodsaver and mostly it works fine. I use the rolls to make bags to size. You do need to be careful or you won't seal it right.

I'm ditching zip lock bags as they don't last that long. I've gone to silicone zip bags and love them. More expensive than ziplocks but they should last forever so for the long haul will be cheaper and more importantly, reducing my plastic use.
I haven't heard of those - will look them up. Thanks!
Old 19-05-2020, 10:17   #22

Quote:
As the Admiral and I get closer to making the big shift off the hard, we are identifying items and devices that we will not need. One of the items still in the “undecided” pile is our vacuum sealer. We have a Vacmaster 210 that gets used a lot. Fishing here in the PNW has been amazing the last few years. Halibut, Ling Cod, Salmon, and several kinds of tuna, plus a couple deer, have kept our freezer full. The 210 has been invaluable.
There are several pros and cons, of course. I am not a big fan of the plastic bags, but the amount of space saved counters that. The size of the 210 is chunky; it takes up a little real estate. And I imagine the power draw for the pump is substantial. I’ve never had much luck with the food-saver type sealers, and their bags are expensive. Though they do take up much less space.
How do you all feel about yours, and would you change anything given the opportunity?
Like you, we're downsizing in anticipation of making the move this summer. While we're moving to a powerboat, not a sailboat, storage real estate is still a challenge but we will find room for our foodsaver. We use generic rolls from Amazon or WallyWorld, but the key for us is that it provides for frozen food that keeps longer, and we can cook the food in the bag so to speak. Haven't thought of using it for spare parts but seeing that in another reply was like a light clicking on. So I'd say it's a piece of gear we're not going to part with.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:24   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Ok, so cut it slight larger originally and then each time you reuse you carefully cut off the sealed part and the next seal is lower? That would help a lot, thanks.
Yes, and you will lose at least an inch on each use, you would think less but it’s about an inch give or take.
You can vacuum seal other items too not just bags, you can jars for instance.

On edit, it won’t work with powdery items as the powder will get on the bag and keep it from melting together and seal
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:35   #24

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
As the Admiral and I get closer to making the big shift off the hard, we are identifying items and devices that we will not need. One of the items still in the “undecided” pile is our vacuum sealer.
How do you all feel about yours, and would you change anything given the opportunity?
These are great devices and useful for what they do. They provide a vacuum seal that keeps out most of the air and delays freezer burn.

I have a large freezer box and a big cold box for unfrozen foods. Even with the large freezer, I seldom keep anything frozen longer than two months. So the foodsaver is not something I need on the boat.
When we were starting, I bought a bread machine. But we never brought it onboard.
We also carried a microwave for about 15 years. We used it less and less. I finally left it ashore two years ago.
I have a little 4-cup food processer that is small and very useful.
I have a full-sized coffee maker and a grinder that I use every day.
I still carry a good pressure cooker. But I think I have only used it once in many years of galley cooking.

Your needs will be different and your lifestyle is your own. That is our experience.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:44   #25

Boat: DeFever Passage Maker 34

We have a Foodsaver .
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:09   #26

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

i routinely cut multiple meals from a large steak or fish. For years

I use a vac sealer but found replacement rolls hard to find. I replaced by using plastic wrap and inserting into freezer bags and am very happy with the result- more convenient, faster and still no freezer burn.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:13   #27

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Foodsaver https://www.foodsaver.com/ by the way has a 'Deals' section on their website and an email list you can sign up for that comes out periodically with sales on materials. We watch the sales and buy cases of rolls when the prices are best.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:36   #28

Chamber vacuum sealer is my preference over the Foodsaver type. Bags are cheaper (1000 bags for $30.00) and the unit much more durable. Downside is weight and realestate.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 13:01   #29

Boat: S2 11.0a

We have a FoodSaver GameSaver vacuum sealer on board. That is the portable, dual-voltage product line. it's made to be "small" and packable ... Field dress your game and vacuum seal on your pickups tailgate, for instance ...
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 16:03   #30

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
As the Admiral and I get closer to making the big shift off the hard, we are identifying items and devices that we will not need. One of the items still in the “undecided” pile is our vacuum sealer. We have a Vacmaster 210 that gets used a lot. Fishing here in the PNW has been amazing the last few years. Halibut, Ling Cod, Salmon, and several kinds of tuna, plus a couple deer, have kept our freezer full. The 210 has been invaluable.
There are several pros and cons, of course. I am not a big fan of the plastic bags, but the amount of space saved counters that. The size of the 210 is chunky; it takes up a little real estate. And I imagine the power draw for the pump is substantial. I’ve never had much luck with the food-saver type sealers, and their bags are expensive. Though they do take up much less space.
We have and wouldn’t be without one.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote