Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 13:51   #16

Boat: C&C 37
Re: Who else uses Jet Ski for Dingy?

Just to clarify - these water machines were first introduced by Bombardier - the original SkiDoo creators, under the name SeaDoo. Other manufacturers who followed suit, used the more generic JetSki (and other similar names). The company that now makes SeaDoos was spun off from the Bombardier aeroplanes company
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 14:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoD View Post
Just to clarify - these water machines were first introduced by Bombardier - the original SkiDoo creators, under the name SeaDoo. Other manufacturers who followed suit, used the more generic JetSki (and other similar names). The company that now makes SeaDoos was spun off from the Bombardier aeroplanes company

The original Sea-Doo back in the 60's wasn't a commercial success but after Bombardier's license expired with its inventor Clayton Jacobsen II, he then helped Kawasaki under license develop the Jet Ski (Trademark, not generic) as a stand up that launched in 1972 and it finally became commercially successful and created the personal watercraft market. In a previous life I worked at and then owned a dealership.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 14:45   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Besides the obvious differences in job description (PWC vs Dinghy), I simply can't imagine towing a PWC behind and normal size cruising yacht. Our RIB (47 kg empty) slows the boat noticeably and a 400 lb PWC would bring us to a crawl.

And lifting one aboard or even in davits... not for me!

Jim

PS And then there is the instant hatred as you enter the anchorage...
Old 18-03-2019, 14:48   #19

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Don't get hung up on what name to call these PWCs as it detracts from the actual question of the OP.
I'd love to have one but it appears the Seadoo Spark is the lightest of the sit down models. It weighs 405 lbs dry. Dry means without any oil/gas/water or any liquid of any kind. So I guess 450 lbs is a more reasonable estimate.
My 9.5' aluminum AB RIB and Yamaha 15hp enduro weighs significantly less. Probably 200 lbs or so with fuel tank.
Old 18-03-2019, 14:57   #20

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

there are some quite nice parts of the world where those noisy little bogan boats are banned...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 16:08   #21

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
there are some quite nice parts of the world where those noisy little bogan boats are banned...
They should be named "instant happy" because I've never seen a sad person on one. You sound like you could use one. [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

I used to feel the same as you. I know they can be considered a nuisance, but really that moniker should fall on the rider alone. I ride mine respectfully and, since I live on the water, usually l only ride during the off hours of the week. Mine can't be any noisier than a typical outboard and certainly quieter than any big gas or diesel inboard up on plane.

While I love mine, I wouldn't use it as a dinghy cause it can't carry anything but me and my kid. I would only take a jetski if I had a Nordhavn 62 and it could ride on deck right next to the 16', 140 hp dinghy.
Old 18-03-2019, 18:20   #22

Wow so much negativity in the comments... man i ask who has them, not for the gripe fest...

In regards to towing it, the guy with the carver, when i talking to him i ask him how it towed, he said he found no difference between towing one of his old dingies and the seadoo, he said when he is up to his normal cruising speed the way the hull is designed it gets up on a plane and skips across the water more so than just being dragged. He also said because the surface area on the seadoo is so small vs a dingy that he felt it had less drag during towing....

In regards to PWC being banned at marinas, im gonna expect due to most people being unable to control themselves and making wakes or lots of noise pinning the throttle on them. idk maybe there are other reasons, but both a dingy and a seadoo are classified as Personal Water Craft legally..
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 18:41   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post

In regards to PWC being banned at marinas, im gonna expect due to most people being unable to control themselves and making wakes or lots of noise pinning the throttle on them. idk maybe there are other reasons, but both a dingy and a seadoo are classified as Personal Water Craft legally..

And therein you sum up why so many of us dislike them!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 18:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
And therein you sum up why so many of us dislike them!

So do you dislike the machine, not the person? Makes sense.
Old 18-03-2019, 18:48   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Not just marinas - they are banned from the waters of the San Juan Islands in WA and I believe in a lot of areas of BC as well.

Also in several of the national parks down here in Mexico they are also banned.
Old 18-03-2019, 18:55   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
but both a dingy and a seadoo are classified as Personal Water Craft legally..

I doubt that. Different jurisdictions have different wording, but the concept is fairly standard:

In Aus:
Queensland:
personal watercraft means a powered ship that—
(a) has a fully enclosed hull that does not take on water if capsized; and
(b) is designed to be operated by a person standing, crouching or kneeling on it or sitting astride it.

In US:

The U.S. Coast Guard defines a Personal Watercraft (PWC) as a craft which is less than 16 feet in length and designed to be operated by a person or persons sitting, standing or kneeling on the craft rather than within the confines of a hull.

California:
Personal Watercraft Defined:A personal watercraft is defined as a vessel 13feet or less in length, propelled by machinery, that is designed to be operated bya person sitting, standing, or kneeling on the vessel.

Virginia:
Personal watercraft are defined as motorboats less than 16 feet in length that are powered by jet pumps, not propellers, where the persons stand, kneel, or sit on, rather than inside the boat
Old 18-03-2019, 18:59   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
So do you dislike the machine, not the person? Makes sense.
Yep, for some reason, as soon as many people get astride one, their personalities seem to change and they behave like inconsiderate, irresponsible kids.
Old 18-03-2019, 19:24   #28

Boat: MaineCat 30

Hi,
To those who tow a Jet Ski or a dinghy: How do you rig the tow lines?
I'm new to towing either a conventional dinghy or a jet ski. I have a catamaran (MC30) with about 8' between hulls. I'm considering towing the dinghy/jet-ski 'between the hulls' in the area between the boarding steps on each hull, just aft of the cockpit.
I'd appreciate any advice and/or cautions wrt such a rigging?
Thanks,
Rob
robertmmcdermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 20:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmmcdermot View Post
Hi,
To those who tow a Jet Ski or a dinghy: How do you rig the tow lines?
I'm new to towing either a conventional dinghy or a jet ski. I have a catamaran (MC30) with about 8' between hulls. I'm considering towing the dinghy/jet-ski 'between the hulls' in the area between the boarding steps on each hull, just aft of the cockpit.
I'd appreciate any advice and/or cautions wrt such a rigging?
Thanks,
Rob
I am not sure how on a catamaran, but the guy with the seadoo yesterday, he had this attachment at the edge of the back of his boat that had a pivoting adapter in it that matched the angle of the hull point on the front of the seadoo, appeared to be plastic looking, then he had a rope attached to it on the front and then that pole device attached to the back. The best i could explain the front adapter is like when you pull a small boat up on a trailer, the front of the boat touches bow stop to guide it to the center...

In regards to sailboat, my stepfather with his smaller monohaul, he had this rope he spliced together that clipped to the front of the dingy at 3 points with the middle one being the main larger line, then line leading to the boat was that special rope that floats so it wouldn't sink in the water and wrap around something..

storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 20:27   #30

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/Wi7N7mo15aM