Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 15:23   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Which RIB & engine?

First, many 15hp engines are tuned 10hp. For any dinghy and outboard it can be worth adding dinghy wheels. I could not drag my outfit up the beach solo without them. Good luck with your selection.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33   #47

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I cruised the Bahamas many years with an AL RIB with a 15 HP and a 3.3 HP engine. The AL RIB was advertised as 70 lbs; but, it was closer to 100 lbs. I recommend a 2 cycle 15 HP engine for you will need the HP to plane with 2 people and supplies. If you are not planing then you will be wet. The 2 cycle 15 weighs the same as 9.6 HP. I rigged a crane on my wind generator pole and later on a custom arch to hoist the engine to the stern rail. I used the 3.3 HP for short distances and was able to manually lift it to the boat. I lifter the dinghy on davits every night and for passages. I felt that it would be more difficult to steal the dinghy on davits. I never had the motors on the dinghy for passages. Lifting the dinghy with a motor with a 4:! block system was hard and the shock load under way would be fierce. I had a custom arch made with built in davits (motor crane and solar panels too) so I could raise the dinghy low and high. With typical low davits, I found that the dinghy would scoop up water when the boat is healed in heavy seas.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:34   #48

Boat: Moody 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
The 2 cycle 15 weighs the same as 9.6 HP.
Surely that depends on the specific make and model?
I have my eye on the Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke which weighs as little as 26kg.
What's the lightest 15hp available?
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52   #49

Boat: Tartan 40

We just chartered with a high field UL290 with a Tohatsu 2 stroke 9.8. Could plane with me and 2 kids (275 lbs) but if all 4 of us on board it couldn’t (425 lbs of crew) except once downwind
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
We just chartered with a high field UL290 with a Tohatsu 2 stroke 9.8. Could plane with me and 2 kids (275 lbs) but if all 4 of us on board it couldn’t (425 lbs of crew) except once downwind
Thanks, that's useful info.
Our all up weight will be somewhere between your two numbers- obviously our son will continue to grow so looking ahead a few years I would guess our all up crew weight to be in the region of 365lbs.
The UL290 is exactly the kind of RIB we are considering, as well.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:29   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
. . . I have my eye on the Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke which weighs as little as 26kg.

I've also had my eye on this, as it is astonishingly light, a kilo less than my 8hp Selva. But where you can you buy it in the UK?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 15:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've also had my eye on this, as it is astonishingly light, a kilo less than my 8hp Selva. But where you can you buy it in the UK?
Most Tohatsu dealers will sell one to a commercial user. I'm not sure if they are allowed to supply to a yacht that is in the process of leaving the country.
Alternatively you can buy them from Mainbrayce chandlers in Alderney.

Since posting to ask about lightweight 15hp motors, I've come across the Selva Naxos which is supposedly only 30kg and is considerably cheaper than the Tohatsu- mixed reviews though.
Old 10-03-2019, 15:27   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Surely that depends on the specific make and model?

I have my eye on the Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke which weighs as little as 26kg.

The Yamaha leisure, not Enduro 15 hp is about 75 lbs I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 15:43   #54

To improve planning ability and / or to accommodate a smaller RIBs and lower powered outboards consider adding Lifters, which are specially design trib tabs for dinghys.

http://http://www.maximarine.com/pro...ers/index.html

"LIFTERSTM radically improve the performance of inflatable boats, increasing speed and acceleration 25% to 45% and planing weight capacity up to 30%, while decreasing fuel consumption by over 25%. Boats having insufficient power or carrying heavy loads can now plane or achieve higher planing speeds."

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:18   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Thanks again for all the suggestions, advice, and ideas.
There seems to be a consensus around the idea of an ali hulled hypalon RIB of about 3m, with a 10hp minimum engine. This is kind of what I was expecting, although I had heard some anecdotes about getting by with just a 6hp.

I'm really quite reluctant to go above 10hp, primarily for weight reasons. The right RIB and a 2st Tohatsu 9.8 could be as little as 60kg all up, which is viable for the two of us to lift/drag a short distance. Anything heavier than that just doesn't sound realistic.
I think you are on the right track size wise to give you versatility and security to explore.

We dive, so speed and range to get out thru passes to dive outer reefs carrying 2 people + gear is one of our priorities

I like Aloy bottom and transom for carrying up the beach vs heavier Fiberglass. It is not just about lifting onboard

This us my Hypalon Achilles tender.....still going strong after 19 years but it was always covered when not in use and has sacraficial chaps which have been replaced twice
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DSC_0068.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	187735

http://www.achillesboats.com/boatmodels/commercial/

I have always used a 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha Enduro because it is the most popular world wide with commercial guys and parts are always available.
Just bought a new one last week in the Philippines

I dont believe there is any weight difference between the 9.9hp & 15hp and the 15 will easily get 2 divers onto a plane in flat water.

For me, like DH, I anchor in deeper water, away from the mosquitos so I think its fair to say that the size and quality of your tender has a big impact on your cruising life.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:28   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
To improve planning ability and / or to accommodate a smaller RIBs and lower powered outboards consider adding Lifters, which are specially design trib tabs for dinghys.

http://http://www.maximarine.com/pro...ers/index.html

"LIFTERSTM radically improve the performance of inflatable boats, increasing speed and acceleration 25% to 45% and planing weight capacity up to 30%, while decreasing fuel consumption by over 25%. Boats having insufficient power or carrying heavy loads can now plane or achieve higher planing speeds."

That is really an improvement... Just wondering, with all that extra lift force on the transom, if the outboard clamps worked loose, is their an added danger of the OB lifting up and flying off the stern?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 20:16   #57

I dont currently live on a boat, but i still have my dads old dingy from before he passed away that i use for fishing from time to time, its extremely portable and easy to store when not in use, Its called "Porta-Boat", i have a small Nissan outboard to power it and it is plenty to get around easily with a full boat of stuff.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 20:22   #58

I miss spoke, its actually called "Porta-Bote"

storx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, rib