Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 11:14   #1

Boat: 43 Leopard 2006
Question Where to stay on a mooring in FLL area

Hi All,

We are going to be having work done on our Catamaran in May, we are traveling back from the BVI early April. We are looking for an inexpensive place to wait for our upgrade Date.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good mooring site? Or maybe an ancorage. We are super new, and don't know the area well. We have only been sailing in the BVI and Cape Cod, Nantucket Sound.

Thanks,
Diane and Dave:

smile:
dmerck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 12:19   #2

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Re: Where to stay on a mooring in FLL area

Where is FLL? Florida - Ft. Lauderdale? I'm not getting any context...

You're currently in the BVIs (in your catamaran?), and need to get it somewhere by May to have the planned work done? And you're going to sail it from the BVI's in early April to this FLL location?

You mention Cape Cod and Nantucket sound - but I'm guessing that FLL isn't really near there. But if it is, I'm sure you can rent a mooring in Buzzards Bay - perhaps Marion, MA...

More info, please, and I'm sure someone here could give you a suggestion based on first-hand knowledge. I've sailed the entire east coast from Bar Harbor ME to Key West FL, so I have some suggestions if I could figure out where FLL was
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 12:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FLL is Fort Lauderdale.
There are NO inexpensive moorings in South Florida.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 12:59   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Lake Sylvia is a good anchorage. Nothing's inexpensive in FLL but the anchorage is free.
Old 24-03-2021, 14:08   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Lake Sylvia is a good anchorage. Nothing's inexpensive in FLL but the anchorage is free.

But not someplace I’d want to spend more than a few days.

A little further away is the marine stadium in Miami.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:12   #6

Los Olas City Marina has a few moorings that are not insanely priced. You have to be lucky to schedule one, but they are handy if the timing works for you.

Otherwise, there just aren't any moorings. You are in one of the crowded anchorages or in a very expensive marina.

For those not living on the boat, there are a lot of spaces along the rivers and canals rented by homeowners who aren't using their docks. Craigslist...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 15:12   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
But not someplace I’d want to spend more than a few days.

A little further away is the marine stadium in Miami.
Yes lots of good spots to anchor in Miami. I like the area around the Venetian Causeway.
Old 24-03-2021, 16:39   #8

Boat: Leopard 48

Ft. Lauderdale is a tough place to find an inexpensive place to stop. Lake Sylvia, mentioned previously, can get very crowded, although it was not bad the last time I looked (early March). The trick with Lake Sylvia is that in quite a few places, the bottom is not always conducive to good anchor holding. The real issue these days seems to be that there are a lot of boats in South Florida that would usually be in the Caribbean this time of year but aren’t due to Covid. Also, last I checked, Florida allows you to stay only 21 days after work is completed unless your boat is already registered there. If it isn’t, you are invited (i.e. legally required) to pay an oppressive tax to register it if you overstay the 21 days. We had to provide the state proof that we relocated to The Bahamas shortly after work on our boat was completed.

Another option might be to go to West Palm Beach. There is often space to anchor there.
CapnCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 10:22   #9

Boat: PDQ Antares 44i

We have been anchored in Sunrise Bay in Fort Lauderdale the last 3 weeks and have loved it. There's a dingy dock at Hugh Taylor Birch State Park just across the ICW that is open during the day with a short walk to Publix for provisions. There's a good Amazon pick up location just outside the park at 7-Elevan. There's also a more protected dingy dock that is open until 9p at George English Park that's about a 30 min dingy ride from Sunrise Bay with closer access to the same Publix.

It gets busy on the weekends with day partiers, but pretty quite and relaxing at night and during the week. It's been us and 2 other boats most of the time. There's a local guy with pump out boat that will come to you for $45 and you can get water at the Lauderdale Marina's fuel dock (15th St) for $10. That combo is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the marina options.

We've also heard good things about South Lake down in Hollywood. We plan to head down there in early April. Everyone has said to anchor back in the "key hole" part, but need to watch the depth.
nh5622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 11:16   #10

Boat: CSY 44

FLL just a few places ,probably better to stay a few miles south around MIA. Oleta Park is a great anchorage, just north of 79 St Pelican marina rents moorings, between Venetian Cswy and McArthur cswy, Coconut Grove rents moorings , Crandon marina on key biscayne rents moorings
floydmiami1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 11:29   #11

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Or go the other way to Lake Worth; i don't know if you can still anchor at the north end nowadays, but we stayed there for a comfortable couple of weeks a few years ago. Then again, if you're going to be loitering for a month, why sit in one place rather than cruise around Florida a bit whilst you wait? We weren't big on Miami/Fort Lauderdale (a six foot draft didn't help) but we enjoyed most everywhere north from West Palm Beach.
Old 25-03-2021, 12:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nh5622.
Thanx for sharing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 16:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FLL is Fort Lauderdale.
There are NO inexpensive moorings in South Florida.
Have you looked at Fort Myers Beach? Mooring balls here are about $300 a month
CaptainMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 17:54   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

BobnLesley is right,,,,,come in at Lake Worth and stay in the anchorage around Peanut Island. Close to shopping, city bus, airport, etc. Then run south to FLL when the yard is ready for you. Or check with the excellent work yards in West Palm and Riviera Beach for your repair work.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 06:10   #15

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

dmerck - FLL is the airport code for Fort Lauderdale. Many people I know use the airport codes as a quick reference instead of spelling out the whole name.

To the OP - Depending on how long you are going to wait here are some options that come to mind.

If a longer time could enter US at Marathon in the Keys (easy with CBPRoam app) and work your way up from there. If shorter could stop at No Name harbor on Key Biscayne. Can tie to wall during day and very protected (often crowed) anchorage inside or wide open just outside. Don't know how busy it is during the summer but weekends can get crowded in the winter/spring. Bit of a walk to shopping, etc., but doable especially if you have bikes.

Have never stayed at the Miami marine stadium but have heard lots of people talk about it. Little bit more out of the way but very doable.

In FLL there is also an anchorage just north of the Las Olas street bridge. Bit of current and not as protected as Sylvia and Sunrise which are both good anchorages but can get busier. Didn't know about the holding issues in some spots.

To the north Lake Worth has lots of room to anchor and if you want to backtrack 3 miles or so West Palm Beach has a city dock that you can tie to during the day. If you get a 3" fire hydrant to hose adapter can get free water as well. There are several friendly locals who will loan you an adapter.

Both Biscayne/Miami and Lake Worth are easy daysails to FLL.

One other thing to be aware of in FL. The FWC cops are (or were) hard core about you having your head and holding tank through hulls locked off. Zip ties (non-releasable) are an acceptable method but need something. If electric then the switch off and head door locked is legal under federal law but might need to educate the local cops about that.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring