Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 12:22   #1

Boat: '84 Tayana Vancouver 42
Where to land my dinghy in Stuart FL

3 weeks ago I posted a request for advice on where to dock our boat in Stuart after we splash. I wanted to thank everyone for your thoughtful responses. The information was very much appreciated.

My wife and I have pretty much decided to anchor in the St Lucie river across the waterway from Sunset Bay. Now, if I'm understanding the comments correctly, Sunset Bay will not permit us to use their dinghy dock unless we're guests of the marina.

My new question then; where would we be allowed to come ashore from this anchorage? Looking to hear from anyone who has already done what we hope to do.

Thankyou all in advance.

Matthew
SVRealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 20:32   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Where to land my dinghy in Stuart FL

The Stuart Town Dock is just under the bridges and around the corner. If I recall it is free for 4 hours.

We have also found that while if you call on the phone and ask you get a no, but if you show up in person and are courteous to the dockmaster at most marinas they will let you tie up your dingy for a few hours. This summer in Hyannis the dingy dock was kind of crowded so they gave me a whole slip for my dingy while we went off on a day trip
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 21:02   #3

Boat: Sailboat

we were there in winter 2017, so this may be dated. Isn't Shepard Park the place to go?
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 13:32   #4

Boat: '84 Tayana Vancouver 42

Thank you both for the replies and information. You guys are great.
SVRealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 14:01   #5

Lease on life is correct.....Shepard’s Park is the closest place to go to tie up your dinghy. ( I had forgotten about it)

From the anchorage across the river from Sunset Bay, you just take your dinghy straight thru the mooring field ( there is kind of a channel thru the mooring field) and into a creek that goes in about 200 yds. The entrance to the creek is about 1/8 mile south of Sunset Bay marina. The park is on your port side and has parking, some porta potties, and a long dock where you can tie the dinghy. The park entrance drops you on Rt 1, Federal hwy. about two or three blocks north of a Publix market, close by to the Ace hardware store, etc. Stuart also has a free jittney/ trolley that will run you around town, but I don’t know if it stops in the park, but I think it does stop at Sunset.
DougR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy