Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2018, 04:57   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Where in South Eastern Fl to hang out for a Month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For anchorages North Palm Beach (North lake Worth) in the anchorage at Old Port Cove Marina. Convenient to dinghy landing under the little bridge and walking over to Pulbix/restaurants/brewery/Enterprise car rental for $22/super West Marine

If you anchor here be aware that the area from the center to the western end is fouled with old moorings.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:15   #17

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

We just spent 26 days cruising the west coast down to Key West and back. If you decide to come down this far here are some observations.

We anchored at Bahia Honda State Park. It is completely closed with a "no entrance" sign at the marina.

At Key West we stayed at the Bight Marina so can't give any info about the anchorage other than to say that there are crane barges there plucking the wrecks off the bottom. A couple we did run into said there is more room because of that. Key West for the most part is back to business.

We then spent three days anchored at New Found Harbor. If you want isolation this is the place to go. This area was hit the hardest by Irma. Little Palm island is closed, their docks are completely destroyed. We ate at Kiki's Sandbar, the food was great. We intended to get diesel fuel but was informed that the Shell station on Big Pine Key was still closed.

We also stayed on a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor. The moorings are all operational. The exposed dinghy dock was damaged. So at times, finding an open spot on the inner dinghy docks was a challenge. Other than that Marathon seemed in fairly good condition. There was a lot of debris that has yet to be picked though. Publix, Home Depot, fuel stations all open.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 10:56   #18

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I anchor up and down the SE Florida coast - some summary of my favorites:

1. (by far). The West Palm Beach city dock is FREE for day usage. It has water, trash disposal, free trolley to excellent Publix, lots of places to eat from the budget hamburger to dress up expensive dining. The tourists are polite, the police are ever present but never intrude. The dock is closed at night, I stay there anyway as they "look the other way" of festival and fireworks nights. When I am chased, the police start with, "pardon me captain, this dock is closed at night. Is there any reason you can't conveniently move?" They have free music once or twice a week - lots of places to walk, pet friendly.

2. Peanut Island - has access to more limited shopping, very hard to find fresh water - some free dinghy beach - and modest security. Ok for a few days. Floating day dock with beach and nice places to walk and exercise.

3. North Lake Worth - follow the ICW South until it turns into the land cut toward Parker Bridge. Continue off the ICW South, keeping Old Port Cove on your port side. Very good anchorage with moderate protection, Dinghy beach (fair, some theft) on the very South West side. Walk to Publix and excellent West Marine. Good place if you need boat parts.

4. South Beach area - very, very expensive. They will tow your dinghy if you tie up at any of the dinghy docks. Boater hostile area - $150/night for Miami Beach Marina - and they are hostile also. But, best place to sight see tourism issues - lovely, excellent bicycle trail. Suggest you anchor at the North End of Miami Beach and bicycle to South Beach

5. Marithon - this is the only place that is MOORING ONLY - there is a limited anchorage, but they charge about the same for a dinghy dock as a mooring. Once moored, there is a large (300+) boat community with everything you can imagine, pot luck, people to help, almost every boating supply and a vibrant community of boaters. I lived on board there for 2 years - once on a mooring and one summer at a marina -- loved it.

6. Key West - nice for an occasional visit - both anchorage and mooring available, but far from the dinghy dock and over sometimes rough water. Good if you have a bigger dinghy and reasonable engine - not so good with a small walker bay and oars. Key West is a lovely place to visit by boat.

Enjoy the Winter here - it may get by New England standards, but overall it is lovely.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 15:32   #19

Right north of west palm beach. Was 73 today . Right south of peanut island. Can short dingy to waterfront restaurants. Publix. Can anchor a boat in good shape for extended periods. Just can’t be derelict. I go out for the weekend all the time. Can motor into the city docks in west palm for the farmers market and great stuff.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 15:34   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1516145636.806778.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	162418
Old 16-01-2018, 15:34   #21

Anywhere in there. Can move depending on the wind direction
Old 16-01-2018, 16:14   #22

Boat: Catalina 42

Abaco...
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:17   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Need to leave Brunswick Ga, cause it’s cold and I’m tired of fighting condensation and tired of the cold.
So where to hang out for awhile? Considerations are West Palm, Marathon and Key West. I’d rather anchor than mooring ball, but a field if it has good amenities may be the way to go.
Is there somewhere else better? I know KW a little, Marathon and West Palm not at all.
Primary consideration is warmth, so I’m thinking KW, but don’t know if I can anchor out there, what the conditions are like now. I have stayed in the mooring field, didn’t like it.
So are the anchorages torn up, or are they useable? Can you anchor nearby the Bight? Don’t mind a few miles in the dinghy, I have a decent sized one, but of course if close by is an option I’d rather be close.
No Name Harbour - it’s nice place in Key Biscayne for staying couple day , but very busy and noisy in weekends.
Good State Park with historical lighthouse and not bad Cuban restaurant!

John Pennecamp - nice Park and visitor center with big aquarium and the best reefs in area for snorkeling :Christ of the Abyss, Molasses reef , dry rocks, Greek reef - must see!
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
No-Name Harbor for a few days, then cruise Biscayne Bay, anchor wherever you want, a few days here, a few days there. No charge, close to town if you anchor in Virginia Key,take an UBER across the bridge.
That's what I was thinking. The Stadium is nearby too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:39   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Where is no name harbor?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:45   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Where is no name harbor?
Across the bay from Dinner Key/Coconut Grove
Old 16-01-2018, 16:47   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Currently 69 degrees in the boat trailer mooring park here in Boot Key
Old 16-01-2018, 16:48   #28

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Quote:
Where is no name harbor?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_N..._(Key_Biscayne)

https://www.waterwayguide.com/anchor...no-name-harbor
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:49   #29

Quote:
Where is no name harbor?
on Key Biscayne at Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.
It's a small harbor fairly close to the Gulfstream.
Holding is OK, but there is clay under the top sand.
"The Stadium" is north of No Name and 913 Bridge.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 17:51   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Where in South Eastern Fl to hang out for a Month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Currently 69 degrees in the boat trailer mooring park here in Boot Key

You have to admit that they are very similar to a KOA.
Going to be 25 here in Brunswick tomorrow night
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote