Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2020, 21:35   #1

Where Are You Registered To Vote and Drive

We're likely to become live aboards later this year, currently residing in our rented home in North Carolina. Once we do, we won't have a fixed address other than our boat. Where and how do others handle voting registration (including local county, school and state primary as well as general elections) and drivers' licenses and vehicle registrations?
RustyBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 07:18   #2

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423
Re: Where Are You Registered To Vote and Drive

We, and many others, us https://www.sbimailservice.com/.

Mail is one address, voting is a different address due to the mailing address being a commercial building. It works well for us. We get our mail forwarded once per month. We put every account we can on paperless deliver via email.

For delivery of parcels we have used a marina address. In the USVI we use https://www.connectionsstjohn.com/connections-east/

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 07:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you don’t actually live there, wherever there is, do you really think you should be voting in local elections?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 07:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
We, and many others, us https://www.sbimailservice.com/.

Mail is one address, voting is a different address due to the mailing address being a commercial building. It works well for us. We get our mail forwarded once per month. We put every account we can on paperless deliver via email.

For delivery of parcels we have used a marina address. In the USVI we use https://www.connectionsstjohn.com/connections-east/

Cheers, RickG
Rick, how do you select the voting address? Mailing will be either a PO Box or equivalent or sometimes General Delivery. But I'm unsure of what to do about a "physical" address.

Thanks, rusty
Old 18-05-2020, 07:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you don’t actually live there, wherever there is, do you really think you should be voting in local elections?
Very much so, as long as we can do so consistent with law.
Old 18-05-2020, 07:53   #6

Wherever you have the most ties, and actually care about the local elections.

If you are going to move back to some place, and want to maintain local ties, keep your residence there.

If you don't care, you don't care.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 08:00   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBullets View Post
Rick, how do you select the voting address? Mailing will be either a PO Box or equivalent or sometimes General Delivery. But I'm unsure of what to do about a "physical" address.

Thanks, rusty
The address for voting is 1063 Bulkhead Rd, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043, which is Reynolds Park Yacht Center marina.

But wait, there is more. Mailing address is 411 Walnut ST #12345, voting address is 1063 Bulkhead RD, physical address is your vessel registration number; We are USCG documented so that is what is on your drivers license:

Green Cove Springs, FL 32043

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:38   #8

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
While I understand your question, my SO and I view statements like that as “You’re liveaboards, and therefore shouldn’t be able to vote.” My SO and I actually spend more time than perhaps most looking into the “local” issues and candidates, many of which eventually bleed into the bigger picture, either in state or federal agendas. We generally ignore ballot questions that deal with, say, bond questions for municipal improvements, though.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
While I understand your question, my SO and I view statements like that as “You’re liveaboards, and therefore shouldn’t be able to vote.” My SO and I actually spend more time than perhaps most looking into the “local” issues and candidates, many of which eventually bleed into the bigger picture, either in state or federal agendas. We generally ignore ballot questions that deal with, say, bond questions for municipal improvements, though.
Well, to be fair, he is asking where he should register, which is an indication that he doesn't so much have a connection to a locality. Otherwise, he'd just leave them where they are (except maybe getting a P.O. box).
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:21   #10

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBullets View Post
We're likely to become live aboards later this year, currently residing in our rented home in North Carolina. Once we do, we won't have a fixed address other than our boat. Where and how do others handle voting registration (including local county, school and state primary as well as general elections) and drivers' licenses and vehicle registrations?
Try Escapees RV Club, out of Livingston, Texas.
Your 'Domicile' choices are Texas, Florida, and South Dakota at present, with 'street' addresses provided and a number of mail forwarding options.
Our driver's licenses, voting registration, and vehicle registration were never an issue anywhere in the country. I was called for, and served, jury duty. This can be somewhat more complicated if you chose to not go 'all in' with your new domicile. We moved everything to TX. Banking, health care, even rented a storage unit and moved our stuff.
There are other mail service/forwarding outfits out there too, most used by full-time RVer's but plenty of cruising sailors are involved as well.
Be aware that South Dakota for one has a problem with you owning property in any other state; as I understand it this has to do with 'Deadbeat Dad's' and the like trying to beat child support. We own no property anywhere except for the boat and the RV. Makes it easy! Bets of luck.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:23   #11

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Well, to be fair, he is asking where he should register, which is an indication that he doesn't so much have a connection to a locality. Otherwise, he'd just leave them where they are (except maybe getting a P.O. box).
To be “fairer”, I was responding to A64’s (valid) comment.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:30   #12

Boat: csy 37

sailing friends of ours have a house and live in a northeastern state most of the year, keep their cruising boat in georgia, but have been "residents" of florida for more than ten years.

they have a mail drop at st brendans isle in green cove springs florida.

they haven't paid their states' income tax since they registered and their is no state income tax in florida. they can use their florida "address" in florida to get a drivers licence and even a voters registration card.

sounds like the margins of legality but it has worked for them....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:59   #13

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We have our passports, drivers licenses, voter registration, and mailing address attached to the mail service at a large marina in Seattle. It works very well for us.

Note - if you are a 'Vote by mail' person, then you get sent all the local ballots whether or not you are currently staying at the same local marina. You can choose to complete them or abstain as you see fit.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:53   #14

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Having a mailing address in Florida does not make you a Florida resident. You will likely remain a NC resident for tax purposes. This is typically only enforced for people with a considerable tax liability. The high tax states, ie NY and NJ, do not give up their taxpayers easily.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:59   #15

Boat: Tasman 26

The answer goes to your intent.

If you want to retain a North Carolina 'legal identity' (to vote, pay tax, DL, other accounts etc) then the residency/address question has to be based on NC laws. In that case the answer might be a variation on those RV clubs and Marinas that fill that purpose as others have posted. As does simply asking siblings/family/good friends resident in NC if you can use their address.

If you aren't seeking to be tied to NC, then the various states that offer ports of convenience in the legal identity sense and have better tax options become a choice as others have offered.

So, what's more important to you?
TomThumb is offline   Reply With Quote