Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 07:54   #61

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Where are All the Americans?

Look you guys, I have been trying. About 12 days ago I downloaded an Alternative data base for my GPS. Got it from the Brexit company. The literature says it was developed at Trump University. Now my equipment just commands a continuing turn to starboard. I shut it off and returned to the dock. By the time I got there there was a big red screen on the plotter with a message telling me I couldn't use the plotter till I transferred money into the account of somebody named Vlad. I was so pissed I just threw the plotter over the side. I will be cruising just as soon as I can get a good Canadian data base and a new plotter.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Doug View Post
I know where you can find a lot of Americans The Mooring fields on the west coast of Florida are packed all the way down into the keys and you know what going to the Bahamas which was everybody's plan even the Bahamas are getting pissy about the way things go Mexico is also like we don't want you here however Belize and Guatemala seem to have a lot of people from the US so anyway that's my observation from the West Coast of Florida
We are in the Western Caribbean right now and on average there are more Americans here than in the Eastern Caribbean but the numbers are still fairly low. Lots of Canadians, some French and quite a few British. Considering that Canada is only 10% of the US population they have very large numbers of sailors in the Caribbean.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The biggest problem we have in this World is that we no longer "meet" a person ... without having a preconceived attitude (often subliminal).

That attitude is not developed from actual experience, but from the constant drumming of a polarising social media.

Most people I actually get to know...I like!

Will Rogers said it Best!
"I never met a man I didn't like."
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Considering that most Americans forefathers came over for the last couple of centuries including your President it would seem that immigration has been very good for the USA. Your vetting system is the toughest in the world, nothing to cause worry for you.
As a retired U.S. Special Agent, I would be interested in hearing exactly what kind of background checking and vetting you think is being conducted on persons coming from countries with non-permissive environments.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38   #65

Politics have a lot of meaning for cruisers when the powers that be piss off our nearest neighbor and 2nd biggest trading partner. I have a hard time imagining that American boats are going to get treated better now that the powers that be have suggested/threatened that we might send troops to Mexico to solve their internal problems. We just insulted 1.7 BILLION Muslims because of what a tiny vicious group has done, and now have a religious test for allowing refugees into our country. A Christian that is in danger of being raped, robbed or murdered can come to America fast, but a Muslim that is in danger of being raped, robbed or murdered has to wait. I dont think this is how we make America great again. I think this is how we start to go backwards. People that only watch one cable news channel should try watching a variety of channels to maybe not get our great national divide made larger by bought and paid for news casters. Time will tell if we have made a huge mistake or not. _____Grant.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
As a retired U.S. Special Agent, I would be interested in hearing exactly what kind of background checking and vetting you think is being conducted on persons coming from countries with non-permissive environments.
Google is your friend.

Can someone please show Special Agent I Can't Google to the Google button por favor?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:55   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Well as a retired Special Agent your surely aware that no terrorist from any of those blacklisted countries have come to America and killed anyone however you still let in people from Saudi Arabia who have killed thousands. Maybe you can explain this to me as you seem to be well connected.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:01   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Politics have a lot of meaning for cruisers when the powers that be piss off our nearest neighbor and 2nd biggest trading partner. I have a hard time imagining that American boats are going to get treated better now that the powers that be have suggested/threatened that we might send troops to Mexico to solve their internal problems. We just insulted 1.7 BILLION Muslims because of what a tiny vicious group has done, and now have a religious test for allowing refugees into our country. A Christian that is in danger of being raped, robbed or murdered can come to America fast, but a Muslim that is in danger of being raped, robbed or murdered has to wait. I dont think this is how we make America great again. I think this is how we start to go backwards. People that only watch one cable news channel should try watching a variety of channels to maybe not get our great national divide made larger by bought and paid for news casters. Time will tell if we have made a huge mistake or not. _____Grant.
We saw the effects when the USA invaded Iraq years ago. American's were not exactly loved in other parts of the world and several flew Canadian flags and felt very insecure about their personal safety. I don't understand all the BS bravado when dealing with friends. It's fine to run companies in this manner if you want but it does not go down well with other countries.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:03   #69
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Are you hanging around st. Martin these days Mark?
Yes, I'm doing some stuff for Heineken Regatta as usual.
So will be here till mid march. Gotta haul and paint too.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:12   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where are All the Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well as a retired Special Agent your surely aware that no terrorist from any of those blacklisted countries have come to America and killed anyone however you still let in people from Saudi Arabia who have killed thousands. Maybe you can explain this to me as you seem to be well connected.
That's called 'Political Expedience'.. its what allows countries to arm oppressive regimes and actively support their slaughter of a barely armed populace like Yemen..
A Business mans approach is much blunter.. usually.. their approach is not quite so Kiss Ass.. so to speak..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Almost all US American cruisers we met had Cayman / Malta / British Virgins / Panama / etc. flags. The few with American flags were mostly Ruskis or Serbs registered in Deleware.
Registering a boat in a state entitles one to fly a US flag?

I thought that privilege was for USCG documented boats which non-US citizens can't do.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:38   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

I thought that privilege was for USCG documented boats which non-US citizens can't do.
We were friends with an American gal that made a tidy income doing nothing but registering Turkish boats in Delaware USA. Litterly tons of American flagged boats in Turkey but no Americans.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:56   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where are All the Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

Just set up an LLC in Delaware and your good to go.. boats in the company name..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01   #74

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Serious drift. Politics and guns in the US. Carsten, I don't where we are? I guess we just drifted away.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:04   #75

Boat: Rafiki 37

If there are fewer American boats out there these days I’m sure it has more to do with economics than politics. I know after the ’08 crash we saw a lot fewer American boats plying the north shore of Lake Superior. Last I was “in the know” (three years ago) the numbers had not yet recovered to pre-crash levels.
Closed Thread