Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 08:53   #31

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: When you finally have to get rid of all your stuff

Our estate sale company's staff was shady. I don't think they're used to people who actually care about what they are selling. Some incidents that really pissed me off:
1) I showed up the first day of the sale to pick up some stuff I forgot. The guy was just starting to look around in the garage for stuff to sell, 90% of the stuff was still in the garage undisturbed, but when I went to cabinet that had my truck hitches in it, I was told "oh those sold early this morning". No record of them being sold, I assume they went in his trunk.
2) They showed up late and packed up early. The sale was advertised 9am-2pm, they started packing up around 1130 and were gone by 1230-1pm.
3) I had a nice 12" dewalt compound miter saw on a portable/foldable cart. Goes for about $600 new. I had a guy offer me $150 via CL and I turned him down. The estate sale priced it at $350. I thought that was high. The end of day 1, it was still there. The begining of day 2, it was sold early in the morning for $50. I was pissed, I told them not sell it for less than $150, but what are you going to do? I'm pretty sure their MO was day 1 is regular price, day 2 they blow out everything that didn't sell for 10% of the value to their "friends".
4) We had a washer and dryer for sale. They were purposely directing people away from them. It was late on day 2 and they hadn't sold. Some woman was walking by and asked a worker "Is there anything over that way?" and they said "No go in the house" and I said "yes there's a washer and dryer" and they sold right there.

I just figured they had a vested interest in getting us a lot of money since they took 40% of it, but I'm guessing he pays these people out of a halfway house minimum wage plus whatever they can steal or have their friends by on the cheap.

If I think too much about it I just have to blast that disney song "Let it go" and then I'm good! (or go sailing)
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 09:40   #32

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Our estate sale company's staff was shady. I don't think they're used to people who actually care about what they are selling. Some incidents that really pissed me off:
1) I showed up the first day of the sale to pick up some stuff I forgot. The guy was just starting to look around in the garage for stuff to sell, 90% of the stuff was still in the garage undisturbed, but when I went to cabinet that had my truck hitches in it, I was told "oh those sold early this morning". No record of them being sold, I assume they went in his trunk.
2) They showed up late and packed up early. The sale was advertised 9am-2pm, they started packing up around 1130 and were gone by 1230-1pm.
3) I had a nice 12" dewalt compound miter saw on a portable/foldable cart. Goes for about $600 new. I had a guy offer me $150 via CL and I turned him down. The estate sale priced it at $350. I thought that was high. The end of day 1, it was still there. The begining of day 2, it was sold early in the morning for $50. I was pissed, I told them not sell it for less than $150, but what are you going to do? I'm pretty sure their MO was day 1 is regular price, day 2 they blow out everything that didn't sell for 10% of the value to their "friends".
4) We had a washer and dryer for sale. They were purposely directing people away from them. It was late on day 2 and they hadn't sold. Some woman was walking by and asked a worker "Is there anything over that way?" and they said "No go in the house" and I said "yes there's a washer and dryer" and they sold right there.

I just figured they had a vested interest in getting us a lot of money since they took 40% of it, but I'm guessing he pays these people out of a halfway house minimum wage plus whatever they can steal or have their friends by on the cheap.

If I think too much about it I just have to blast that disney song "Let it go" and then I'm good! (or go sailing)
Your estate sale people definitely were not pros. For instance, the professionals will not allow you there during the sale itself. But then they will plan and know what is there. They'll also presale certain items. Last one I saw Christine (our friend) work she sold the coins and better jewelry in advance (must be done prior to running ad as everything in ad must be there at opening of sale). She had collectors who paid top dollar and these are difficult to secure and sell during the sale. Professionals would never fail to keep the hours. The key is that professionals have reputations on the line too. They have followers who come to their sales.

I can only relate how she works but on the days of the sales she has regular help including her father and sister. She also runs mostly three day sales, sometimes four, never two.

I saw two sales she recently ran. One was high end, wealth. $30,000 in sales, $19,500 to the family. But the other was more typical. It looked like junk when she started through it. 150 boxes of stuff sitting in the garage. Typical house of rather poor lady who had lived there for 35 years and was a bit of a hoarder. One estate sale person turned it down because her minimum is $5000 total value and she didn't think it was there. Really, she didn't want to have to go through the boxes. Christine took it, four day sale. The family was hoping for at least $2000 and ideally $3000 out of it. Well, she sold $9800 which netted the family $6300+. I was shocked. But I also know she worked long days every day for the two weeks between her previous sale and this one.

The good ones can provide you excellent references. Christine has conducted well over 100 sales.

So just a world of difference in those conducting sales and a place to be very careful selecting.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 10:10   #33

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I donated most of my stuff to a charity that was registered with the feds. The tax deduction resulted in a significant tax refund.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:05   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

House sold, most of the stuff given away, sold, or deep sixed, and we are 13 days from move out... Liberating for me, tough for her, but in the end, we'll both be free!

We'll 9-18 months living with my sister while we find and buy the boat, then we're off "south 'till the butter melts."
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I donated most of my stuff to a charity that was registered with the feds. The tax deduction resulted in a significant tax refund.
Careful with valuations when doing that. They must be at yard sale/thrift shop type prices. Actually Salvation army has a table of prices on their web site that has generally been accepted. If any items beyond that then it's important to have an appraisal.
Old 14-10-2014, 12:28   #36

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
The only thing I still miss is my collection of blues albums.

My daughter and son split my album collection. Very happy about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-10-2014, 08:57   #37

I have 21 months. I've been land locked for 20 years and need to return to the salt. I have a large farm house and an auto repair shop. The house is pretty much cleared. I took care of the basement and attic, netted 290.00 from scrap and burned/gave away the rest.

The shop will be harder. 250,000 tool invested, lifts, compressors and my tool box 6'x12'x3.5' will be more difficult to deal with. Should I take the hand held lab scope? What power tools will be of value aboard? I'll buy two hand carried boxes, one for hand tools, one for electronic diagnosis.

I've been away from sailing for twenty years and I've started reading as much as I can. Instead of pleasure reading two novels a week, I'm using sites like this and buying books as I find them. water sailing">Blue water sailing books are not too popular in NW Pennsyltucky libraries.
Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:09   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdseed View Post
What power tools will be of value aboard? I'll buy two hand carried boxes, one for hand tools, one for electronic diagnosis.
The way I think of it is: it's better to have to buy a tool if the need arises that makes it worth having for a given job, than it is to lug around tools you don't really need.
Old 15-10-2014, 09:32   #39

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
The shop will be harder. 250,000 tool invested, lifts, compressors and my tool box 6'x12'x3.5' will be more difficult to deal with. Should I take the hand held lab scope? What power tools will be of value aboard? I'll buy two hand carried boxes, one for hand tools, one for electronic diagnosis.
I didn't have anywhere near this number of tools but I still had a single car garage full of them. When I was deciding what to keep I went for versatility. So here are some of my decisions:

Saws: Sold the big ones, table, compound miter, scroll, etc. Looked at my powered hand saws and decided to only keep the jig saw. So the circular, sawzall, band saw all went. The jig saw can to the job of all of them in a pinch. For hand saws I only kept the hack saw and hack saw blade holder.

Sanders: Ditched them all but the 6" random orbital.

Drills: I kept one corded drill and a lithium set of cordless drill and impact gun.

Routers, dremels, etc. I kept the corded dremel with the wand.

I kept my heat gun, very useful for many things on the boat.

Keep in mind how you will power your electric tools. I am installing a 2,000 watt inverter. Anything that has too much of a power draw for that is immediately suspect for going.

Most of the larger hand tools went in the yard sale. Any hard tool boxes went (you don't want them sliding around in heavy seas). I had multiple sets of things and ended up keeping the best set and a spare.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 16-10-2014, 16:20   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
The only thing I still miss is my collection of blues albums.
Join the 21st century. While touching the vinyl might be nice having the music isn't an issue.

I don't download music but I ripped all my CDs and now pick up 10-20 a year at the bargain racks and rip them.

It has taken a long time but I have rated all the songs I like and now my playlist of over 1,500 songs has only stuff that I like. This "master" playlist may jump from Buddy Holly to the Romones.

If I want to zero in on 50's, , blues, 70's rock, punk, R&B or whatever I have playlists for each one. The boat, the car and the house all have players. I haven't listened to the radio in 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
My daughter and son split my album collection. Very happy about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Most folks wouldn't know what vinyl is. Glad there's a connection.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:56   #41

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Careful with valuations when doing that. They must be at yard sale/thrift shop type prices. Actually Salvation army has a table of prices on their web site that has generally been accepted. If any items beyond that then it's important to have an appraisal.
If you use TurboTax, they have a system for making calculations, as well.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:50   #42

OMG! 20 years, home and business! I'm overwhelmed. Talked to an auctioneer, he wants to sell the door knobs off the doors. I got so much "Stuff" I think it's going to take months to get rid of it all.
Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:56   #43

Quote:
OMG! 20 years, home and business! I'm overwhelmed. Talked to an auctioneer, he wants to sell the door knobs off the doors. I got so much "Stuff" I think it's going to take months to get rid of it all.
That's where good estate sale people come in handy. In a month they have it all gone. And the door knobs may be worth a lot. Assume some older fancy ones.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:03   #44

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

After 3 months, I finally sold 3 granite countertops..for $30.
I also sold the RX7 transmission after 4 months..for $50.
Only 2 more transmissions and 4 engines left..
And still have all these sails, think I will make one into a pool cover.

At this pace, it is going to take a long time.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:27   #45

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
I am feeling your pain right now, believe me. We have a two story house with full basement and attic, plus a 2 car garage and they are both packed floor to rafters and I have no earthly idea how it happened. 11 years ago we moved to Baltimore and all we brought with us from California was a 38' Cabo Rico (living aboard) and a small U-Haul truck with tools, clothes, and bicycles. This has all happened since then. It's mind boggling.

We have started the process of clearing it all out as well and each night we sort through several boxes or bins, separating out what goes to the dump, the Salvation Army, gets saved for a yard sale, gets listed on eBay, etc. etc. Then after that I try to list a few items for sale each night. It's turning into a (second) full time job. Then on the weekends we work on the boat. Once the boat is wrapped up for the winter we'll be working on the house every weekend getting it ready to sell.

We are both going to be too pooped to sail anywhere by the time this is all over!!!