Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 14:55   #91

Boat: S&S Catalina 38
Re: When to give up on a good old boat

My good old boat is 47 years old, and when I bought her, she was considered not seaworthy. We do all work ourselves, and did enough the first spring to get her in the water by mid June. The paint and bright work looked old and worn, the portlights crazed, with minimal electronics, no working head, and a few deck leaks, but we sailed. I continue to do the big projects over the winter and spring, then we focus on having fun. We work on her as time and money allow. We love the boat, and while we are well aware that the money will never come back, we never pine away for the dollars. It is an investment in life and family, enjoying every minute, as the whole family works and plays together.

When to give up is a personal decision that you need to make yourself. We all have different goals, and only you can decide when the pain outweighs the gain.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 20:27   #92

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Every boat lives because someone dreams.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 20:32   #93

Boat: Vancouver 27

very nice
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:52   #94

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
My good old boat is 47 years old, and when I bought her, she was considered not seaworthy. We do all work ourselves, and did enough the first spring to get her in the water by mid June. The paint and bright work looked old and worn, the portlights crazed, with minimal electronics, no working head, and a few deck leaks, but we sailed. I continue to do the big projects over the winter and spring, then we focus on having fun. We work on her as time and money allow. We love the boat, and while we are well aware that the money will never come back, we never pine away for the dollars. It is an investment in life and family, enjoying every minute, as the whole family works and plays together.

When to give up is a personal decision that you need to make yourself. We all have different goals, and only you can decide when the pain outweighs the gain.
It truly is a personal choice. I've done it twice. I had an Egg Harbor that we took on and we were 75% done when her spine broke and we stripped her bare, cut her up. The other was an Elco we just could not save, too many rotted board and too little time and money. We gave her to a museum.

There are just as many type of boater as there are boats. From "checkbook sailors" to "yard dreamers" and all of us in between. The key is making sure it is your pleasure craft.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote