Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
... they're selling Klein bottles. They'd be perfect for holding dessicated Dihydrogen Monoxide.
The inside of a Kleinsche Fläche (Klein bottle) is its outside, and so, it contains itself.
The bottle is a single-sided surface, like the Möbius strip, and is has no border, and neither an enclosed interior (bound volume) nor exterior.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:22   #32

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Reminds me of a video clip...

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!!!

Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42   #33

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Note that these are probably also Voters...... make me want to stay on the boat!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44   #34

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I love long, hot morning showers at home, but lack of fresh water necessitates a change of lifestyle when cruising.

When cruising the islands in hot weather an evening dip hits the spot. Just enough fresh water to lather up - jump in, and a couple cups of fresh water to rinse most of the salt water out. If it's really warm I dry off in the wind after sunset and go to bed refreshed. I really like walk out transoms for this reason. In addition to going to bed refreshed, I find the late evening ritual keeps the sheets from getting salty as well.
When I had my pocket cruiser, I'd often get the shower water by bailing out the dingy after a rain and filling sun showers.

A snorkel swim in the morning stretches me out, wakes me up, gives me my exercise and gets the blood going.

I've removed the shower option from the head of my boat specifically so people need to either shower on the back or sponge bath in the head.

On other wilderness trips, I've often had to go weeks with out bathing.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:05   #35

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
When I worked as a fisherman we would stay out for a max of 14days and had no showers at all. Granted the west of Vancouver Island is not very warm most of the time but I'm sure we were pretty funky by the time we got back into port. Add in the smell of fish to the mix and the very thought makes me gag. Like mom would say "Are you going to eat with those hands?"............m
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
is the sin here being cheerful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htraudes View Post
1. While half of the world population has no clean water to drink, we have this cheerful discussion about our "absolute need" to have on, two or more showers a day. I wished our thirsty brothers and sisters could join our happy discussion.
I can only assume that some of our correspondents must be terribly out of the loop when it comes to the water consumption of cruising sailors. A typical land dweller in Missouri will flush away more fresh water in a day, just through the toilets, than a cruising sailor will use in a week. Most liveaboard cruisers use absolutely zero fresh water to irrigate lawns, flush toilets, or even wash cars. Most of us can tell stories about stretching out our tankage for several weeks, and more than one of us has been able to brag about being able to shower on less water than the average person uses to brush his teeth. Many of us collect rainwater to fill our tanks, and most cruisers have solar showers to heat the water they shower with while on the hook. A growing number of cruisers desalinate their own water with 12 volt systems that transfer solar and wind power into fresh water.

Yes, aquifer exhaustion is an increasing problem, one often aggrivated by tourism. But the water consumption of a cruising sailor is far less than that of a golfer, or someone staying in a hotel with a pool, or just about any other tourist who gets fresh towels daily.

My reading of this thread, notwithstanding Gord's little drift regarding alternative nomenclatures for H2O, is that most of us who cruise appreciate a shower for the luxury it is, and rejoice in the opportunity to take one aboard. Anyone who doesn't understand this simply hasn't spent enough time on the hook.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59   #37
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I live on Imagine, and own a muffler shop. I am filthy when I get home. Working sawsalls, chopsaws, welding, and cutting with a torch. Even with all this crud on me I shower in the evening with less than 1 1/2 glns of water. The wake up is about a quart of water. This is at the dcok where I can let it flow if I wish. On the hook I use even less.

I was like this long before I got into boats. Anybody live through the drought in Ca. during the early 70's? If it's yellow let it mellow, and if it's brown flush it down. After a while you didn't even want to flush brown, because nothing but brown water was in the pipes in some places. Moving onto a boat just refined using water for me to be even more conservative.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11   #38

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I replumbed my shower sump pump through a two-way valve. One side goes overboard as normal, the other goes to a second shower head. When I run a gallon of fresh water into the sump I switch over to the second shower head and have as long a shower as I want.

Cheers.
That's a really great idea. As someone who loves hot showers, I'd even consider prioritizing my heat exchanger to that. I can deal just fine ambient temperature water at the sinks, but a never ending hot shower? - mmmm
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21   #39

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Desiccated dihydrogen monoxide (DDHMO) is available in apparently empty plastic bags. Just add DHMO, and voila.

Unfortunately, there are moves afoot to ban the product.
Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info
Yeah, thats so funni

I have to remember that next April 1st
Old 10-07-2009, 11:48   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Many of course do not think carefully about what they read, and so in March 2004, the California municipality of Alisa Viejo very nearly passed a law banning foam containers at city-sponsored events because they contained DHMO. Although Alisa Viejo realized its mistake before passing legislation, it was not in time to prevent widespread national coverage of the incident:
Associated Press ➥ http://www.dhmo.org/presskit/clippin...atedpress.html
National Public RadioDihydrogen Monoxide Sparks Global Concern : NPR

"If you're going to use the Internet, you have to use it in as efficient a manner as possible. It becomes even more important to crosscheck your facts: finding it in one resource isn't good enough," said Way. "My feeling is 'reader beware.'"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 12:29   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
just got back from 6 weeks of sail cruising---showered in storms and pit bathed between--pit baths are less than one cup water and a cloth---showers are in marinas for over half hour, when marinas are used----i caught and cleaned and cooked my own fishies and we didnt stink at all----even stayed in marinas which were closed or deserted/abandoned--those are the most fun---storms delivered enough water to rinse off just a bit oft he dust gained each day the second half of the trip---rinse out the fish mess in cockpit with salt water--that stuff cleans better than fresh water anyday....the decision os smell was made after consulting the other soul i was sailing with lol......he didnt stink either--some of our passages were 48hrs to 3 days in length..storms ruled our forward progress......something about lightning and a lightning rod in the open sea.....lol.....-
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 02:46   #42

Boat: Skookum 53'
We would catch the fresh water off of the sails during the squalls and shower during them as well. Otherwise fresh water was only for drinking, and salt water was used for everything else.
Old 16-07-2009, 04:00   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I always shower in the morning, but in warmer weather and if ive either worked up a sweat or got dirty during the day, i shower when i get home in the evening too.

The morning shower is vital and i cant feel clean without one. I feel as though something vital is missing otherwise

Me too, exactly. It drives my father crazy, who is a water consumption nazi, but in hot weather I can't live without two showers a day. Neither the morning nor the evening shower is dispensible. I am careful to use as little water as possible with each shower, but it's still a lot of water compared to those real old salts who splash a couple of teacups of water on themselves every three days, whether they need it or not.

At least one of my showers is a fresh water rinse on the swim platform after a swim, when that is possible.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 07:28   #44

Good for you guys! Keep having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We shower when we can find a nice place.

This is Lizard Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia.

Dunno who the Elf is.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 15:38   #45

The drought

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I live on Imagine, and own a muffler shop. I am filthy when I get home. Working sawsalls, chopsaws, welding, and cutting with a torch. Even with all this crud on me I shower in the evening with less than 1 1/2 glns of water. The wake up is about a quart of water. This is at the dcok where I can let it flow if I wish. On the hook I use even less.

I was like this long before I got into boats. Anybody live through the drought in Ca. during the early 70's? If it's yellow let it mellow, and if it's brown flush it down. After a while you didn't even want to flush brown, because nothing but brown water was in the pipes in some places. Moving onto a boat just refined using water for me to be even more conservative.......i2f
I remember that one. The government bureaucrats did go on about the rules, didn't they.

Not everyone followed the rules. And down in Texas we're on our second year of a terrible drought and the only rules the government folks have come up with is a burn ban.

Telling.
cherrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower