Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 06:24   #31

Boat: 42 hatteras
I will just echo what others have said. It just depends on where you live and the circumstances. I live aboard, in a marina with shore power. Boat is always 72-75 degrees. Unless the water intake for the a/c's clog up like 2 weeks ago and i wake up to a 40 degree boat.

I run a dehumidifier, keeps it nice and dry and also keeps the "boat" smell out.

Less to clean on the inside, more to clean on the outside. Cooking is fine, open a hatch. Have a grill on the dock, that works too.

I have been on the boat for almost a year, been the best year of my life, hands down. I really dont want to move into a house after living on a boat. Part of the process was getting rid of about 80% of my belongings that I didnt need. Keeps life simple and streamlined.

As an added bonus, aside from the handful of total brain dead, nuttier than squirrel **** residence, boat people are pretty much the nicest people on earth. Complete stranger will help you on any project, offer advice and drinks.
Old 27-01-2011, 06:44   #32

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf361 View Post
I have been on the boat for almost a year, been the best year of my life, hands down. I really dont want to move into a house after living on a boat. Part of the process was getting rid of about 80% of my belongings that I didnt need. Keeps life simple and streamlined.

As an added bonus, aside from the handful of total brain dead, nuttier than squirrel **** residence, boat people are pretty much the nicest people on earth. Complete stranger will help you on any project, offer advice and drinks.
Yeah Ruf, I can identify with that.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 06:49   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate The 'Real Picture...'

Jobi.... its a tough life mate... always hanging around waiting for one thing or the other.... pass my drink over.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Barths 020.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	23162  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:00   #34

thank you for covering your junk with the binoculars.
Old 27-01-2011, 07:20   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
thank you for covering your junk with the binoculars.
"JUNK.........!!" "JUNK..."
How DARE you call 'Speedo's' Junk......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 08:26   #36

i didnt realize there was a speedo involved in the making of that picture. I retract my statement!
Old 28-01-2011, 11:48   #37

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
yoiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
I allow about £5,000 a year for maintenance, which is a tad less than the house was. .
My God man how big is this boat?

Y'see, here's our problem. I live most of the year on a sailing Shantyboat that I designed and built. I don't HAVE an engine. I have a yuloh (actually thats not true, I have a 55 pound Minnkota electric for docking) I heat with wood. I use a small amount of propane for hot water and cooking and for the fridge. My slip space fees include one haulout a year, which i use to clean, inspect, and repaint the hull if needed (I have anti fouling paint but mostly am moored in fresh water, so its not much of an issue). The worst thing I've had happen is my water pressure pump went out last month and I spent a whopping $44 on a replacement.

It's like saying "how much does a house cost?"

I think my point is, if you plan for maint., minimize systems that need constant attention, and live within your means, the expense doesn't have to be terribly great.
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 11:54   #38

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
revenge of the boat people

Quote:
There are times when I think boat people are the last truly civil crowd on the planet. Certainly the kindest and most ready to help. Most marinas i've been in, you can wind up with a serious drinking problem just being invited for drinks by your new neighbors.

Nice neighbors are a problem I can live with.
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57   #39

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Dramatization certainly. when we lived aboard at a dock that is when the boat was stuffy coming home, since we had to lock it up. At anchor we deploy shade clothes which cover hatches etc...so the air can move even in the rain.
In the winter we add extra insulation to the cabin and top, foredeck and side decks. this is a dry boat, for the lockers one must have air flow, we add carpet in winter, which keeps our feet warm and minimizes condensation in the bilge. yes there is some down there, we remove a quart or two twice over the course of winter, less with carpeting in place.
it works for us, since you have a house, why not try it out for a couple of months and see if it is something you really are interested in. However, we found it got easier as we went along as we discovered better ways of doing things.
have fun
Fair winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:56   #40

Boat: a sailing boat
We cruised from Sweden to the tropics and never had any issues of 'too hot' in the boat. Open the hatches and the boat becomes nice and cool in no time. And our topsides are black (OMG in the urban legend but no big deal in real life). I do not get this 'too hot' part at all. Yes, it was hot at times. No, it was never a problem. That's exactly why we went to the tropics - because it is hot there. But not everybody has to go to the tropics.

However, cooking in bad weather in mid and cold latitudes was an issue a couple of times - too cold and wet to open the boat up so everything inside got wet from condensations.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 16:37   #41

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Hottest Week in a Hundred Years

Just survived the hottest week in NSW Australia in a hundred years. Considering I did not even bother to put up the awning it really could not have been that bad. The last day I could finally feel things in the boat starting to radiate a bit of heat. In comparison, anywhere on shore not air conditioned was no better than stepping into an oven. I was still glad to wake up to a cool morning after last nights long awaited southerly change. It was just as nice to curl up under the dooner for the first time in seven days.

All pretty mad considering the rest of the country has had the week from hell with severe cyclones and flooding. In contrast, around here it has been total fire bans and searing heat fanned by strong offshore winds

Tags
liveaboard