Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 08:25   #31

Boat: Gulfstar Custom 40
Re: What's the perfect size sailboat for a couple to cruise from Boston to the caribb

I've thought about a cat but we chartered a 48 footer in the BVI's a few years ago and while there is definitely more room, it simply doesn't sail as well as a monohaul.
Marblehead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 02:44   #32

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Thumbs up Re: What's the perfect size sailboat for a couple to cruise from Boston to the caribb

Welcome aboard.

Unlike other posters, I believe in being comfortable; the Pardeys pooped in a bucket.... not for me.

We are also setting off on a round the planet in July and wanted a boat big enough to have most comforts of home. This is important for the TOTMBO.

Our boat has all electric furling gear; we have refitted all electric motors and gearboxes and fully expect not to have to resort to the manual backups. The boat also has water maker, washer dryer (full size), big genset, solar panels and the boat design has built in 4 zone watertight compartments.

Works for us and for many long distance cruisers.

Size does matter....
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 02:58   #33

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: What's the perfect size sailboat for a couple to cruise from Boston to the caribb

sometimes I'd like my boat to be a bit bigger, but whenever something goes wrong and I have to try and get myself out of the s#@t, it seems a damn big handful (at 38 ft /7 tons - god help you at 50ft/ 30+ tons).
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 03:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
sometimes I'd like my boat to be a bit bigger, but whenever something goes wrong and I have to try and get myself out of the s#@t, it seems a damn big handful (at 38 ft /7 tons - god help you at 50ft/ 30+ tons).

Fair point but I doubt many vessels at 53 feet will come anywhere near your weight figures.

For instance, mine is not a light weight and tops the scales at 18 tons ready to cruise... 144 bottles of wine etc...
Old 22-03-2015, 03:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
144 bottles of wine etc...
LOL

There's a Gin tankage thread, so maybe you should start a wine cellar onboard thread. Could be interesting
Old 22-03-2015, 03:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
LOL

There's a Gin tankage thread, so maybe you should start a wine cellar onboard thread. Could be interesting
I have a wine cellar onboard!!
Old 22-03-2015, 04:25   #37

Quote:
I have a wine cellar onboard!!
and that's why I think you should start a thread
Old 22-03-2015, 05:39   #38

Nah... too "I'm in your face..."

Boating is not the place to haul expensive wines so my selections range from cheap and cheerful to good Spanish, Majorca, Italian and some French.

Luckily, the bilges are planned for this number of bottles and they are secured nicely in a fairly regulated temperature (circa 25C). I don't let them age long!
Old 22-03-2015, 06:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblehead1 View Post
Wow. Thank all of you for your thoughtful responses to my question. After considering many of your suggestions, and my budget, I will likely end up in the 44 to 50 foot range. Large enough to make my better half happy and small enough to navigate through tight quarters with two people. A furling main and electric winches will definitely be on the list.
I would definitely add bow thrusters to the list
A few years ago I did the trip your planning on a Jenneau 45
About the biggest sailboat that fits thru the ICW
Great boat no problems
Last summer in Europe met some people with a Hanse 55
which had bow and stern thrusters.
When docking
We struggled with a crew of 5, they made it look like parking your car
At an empty Wallmart lot.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 06:08   #40

Bow thruster is indeed a MUST!
Old 22-03-2015, 07:12   #41

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblehead1 View Post
I've thought about a cat but we chartered a 48 footer in the BVI's a few years ago and while there is definitely more room, it simply doesn't sail as well as a monohaul.
I don't know what type of catamaran you chartered, but they are not all the same. Our Leopard 40 sails quite well.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 07:25   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's the perfect size sailboat for a couple to cruise from Boston to the caribb

Quote:
Nah... too "I'm in your face..."

Boating is not the place to haul expensive wines so my selections range from cheap and cheerful to good Spanish, Majorca, Italian and some French.

Luckily, the bilges are planned for this number of bottles and they are secured nicely in a fairly regulated temperature (circa 25C). I don't let them age long!
Used to have 2x25litre containers.. after decanting the last of the wine we'd steralise them as best we could then head for the little Bodega's tucked up the back streets.. big casks set in the walls and bulk sold.. so to speak.. bring your own bottles..
Used to find the 14% range very palatable and lasted well.. so instead of Hi..!! Coffee..?
It was Hey..!! Red or White..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 07:37   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

How long is a piece of string?

For me, the ideal boat is about 60' -- 65'. That's because its 2 or 3 meters longer than what I have -- see the wise comments on this above by someone.

Many, many good things happen as a boat gets bigger -- faster, less sensitive to loading, more seaworthy, more stable, more spacious (there's NEVER enough space on any boat).

Only downside is cost, and you can't get into some berths. Mast height, maybe. Maneuvering in tight marinas. Draft.

Sail handling is not an issue with power gear. People on smaller boats who imagine that it would be terrifying to sail a bigger boat are just wrong -- it's not. For one thing, you don't need to push a bigger boat as hard to get up a decent head of speed.

It is true that manhandling sails starts to get very hard when a boat gets above 50', but the truth is that outside of a hurricane, there is almost never any reason to take sails down while cruising.

It is also true that the cost of somethings -- like sails -- go up exponentially with size.

But everything else is all good. Have you ever met someone who wished he had a smaller boat than what he has? Right -- neither have I. And if I ever change my present boat, I will go up a bit in size -- even though I single hand a lot.

Good luck.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 07:43   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
At some point, you can't use the strength of your crew's arms to manipulate the boat. Beyond that point -- it already makes no difference whether it's 10 tons or 30. At that point, you have to use your brains and equipment (bow thruster highly recommended!).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 07:49   #45

Hey Dockhead,

How heavy is your boat when fully ready to cruise? Mine is 18 T.. with enough wines to keep a heavy headache going for quite some time.

Huge tankers/container ships run with 20 or fewer crew. Lots of mechanical help though.

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, rib, sail, sailboat, size