Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 12:23   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: What's the best boat you've ever owned?

The one we have is fine. US equivalent would be a Frances 26 or something similar - looking classic but not a heavy boat at all. I would buy again, if I were in the same situation again.

Boats that amazed me and I could consider buying:
- Catanas (eg. 43 Ocean),
- Bougainvillaea (Paine),
- Paradise 60.

Smaller craft:
- Morris,
- Valiant,
- PS, SC, HCh.

European builds:
- some HR, Najad, Contest, etc.
- any Zaal, Koopmans, etc.
- Rustler, Amel, Le Breton, etc.

I think once you have found your sailing/living and indoor/outdoor ratios the choices narrow down dramatically. Add some budget limitations and it all boils to two or three choices actually.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:24   #17

Moreorless' answer seems to the, uhm, gasp, gulp, Best answer. I simply hate the word best when it comes to anything boating, 'cuz boats themselves are compromises, right?

Choosing the right boat that fulfills the criteria for how and where YOU want to sail seems the most appropriate (rather than best) answer.

I love and loved my three boats for where I sailed. A Catalina 22 to trailer up to a large N. California lake for the summers and The Bay (and hoist/dry) sail during the winters, a Catalina 25 for 13 years in the water year round on The Bay and The Delta when we outgrew both trailering and the size, and our current boat for the past 18 years on The Bay, The Delta and the ocean.

If I was living in the PNW I'd get a pilothouse.

I see so many folks sailing around here with biminis it makes me gag! It's blinkin' cold here, even during the summer!!! That's why they made hats and sunscreen!!! If I lived in Florida, I'd have a bimini.

Horses for courses.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:32   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

In the size range specified, my best boat ever was a 1994 Hunter Legend 35.5.

I bought it when I had a tiny little 2 year old daughter, my wife was expecting, and my dog was old. I needed a boat full of comforts for my family that I could single hand, with everyone aboard. I remember going out in half a gale, and more, with very little worry or discomfort. The single line reefing system kept me safely in the cockpit. My darling daughter would have a hot bath in the deep stainless galley sink. The wife could step ashore (or into the dinghy) off the sugar scoop stern with walk thru transom without having to climb about. I could have an actual hot shower below. And we could all sleep in air conditioned comfort. Below was nicer than my home. The yanmar ran perfectly. Everything worked perfectly on that boat. It was a pleasure to sail in any weather.

LOVE the "hunter seats" on the stern rail.

I may get another one day. I prefer the 35.5 over the 37.5 or 40.5 because of the shallower draft (4.5')...I've got thin water where I sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	121443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 3GM30F.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	121444  

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	121445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frm Companwy.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	121446  

Name:	Nav Station.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	121447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	121448  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:52   #19

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

We have been loving our current boat for 13 years - a 1997 Catalina 42 MkII. Previously we had a 1980 Tartan 33 which was a wonderful boat for what it was but we bought it with one toddler in the family and by the time the fourth child was coming, we knew it was time to move up and the Catalina 42 was the best boat for us. Even now, we look at boats and can't find anything that would be significantly better for us and so we continue on the C42 until such time as we decide to move on board a trawler. We can go away for weeks at a time with all 6 of us (hubby and myself and children ages 26, 23, 15 and 13) and not feel like screaming "Get me off!" when we get home. She's been a fantastic boat for us.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 16:52   #20

Boat: 42' Vagabond

My Vagabond 42. Good passage maker, great comfy liveaboard. For me, just sayin' 😎
Salty Seaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 16:59   #21

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34 and still own her
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 17:56   #22

Boat: Farr 1020

Hudson Force has an excellent answer, our first boat is the best, although we buy the bigger one for a reason.
My first boat was a 2 berth clinker built centreboarder by Oliver Lee, as an apprentice to Alan Buchanan. Having to enter the cabin feet first and lie on the bunks made her a tad cosy though great for creek crawling around the Essex / Suffolk coast. Not something I could do in the 37ft Nicholson!
So it really all comes down to your usage and needs.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 18:04   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Our Bristol 45.5 has been a wonderful find for long-distance cruising. Ainia has looked after us very well indeed.
Old 26-03-2016, 18:15   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

A 19' Lightning. Very heavy cedar planking and centerboard so heavy you needed tackle to lift it. Sailed around the Sound and San Juans for years (no motor). That's the boat I had the most fun on.
In your range a Passport 42 (Christensen). Some people don't like heavy, full keeled, double-ender boats but I do when cruising.

Good luck
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 20:42   #25

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Cool Re: What's the best boat you've ever owned?

Well, my wife & I own a 'stink boat' with twin thirsty girls, but we love her. I wanted to respond to your request because we have lived aboard for over two years (newbies).

We have learned a lot in the two years, which any liveaboard will tell you, the lessons come fast and furious....

I think the #1 thing I would say is understand how much regular time is needed to care for the girl, it is VERY easy to underestimate that.

Second, ALL boaters have 'two foot-Itis', wishing we had a few feet longer or beamerier.... Stay with a girl that is as big as you afford, BUT that you can afford and maintain!!!!

That's really the key...IMHO

ENJOY THE JOURNEY,

J & S
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 22:34   #26

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Own 25% of it. Andlove it bavaria vision 46.
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 23:19   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

It certainly wasn't the 'best' by any objective standard, but the memories made on my first boat a SouthCoast 21 have basically defined the rest of my life. Even today the lessons learned rebuilding that boat make me smile.

She was slow, and heavy, and everything about that boat had to be rebuilt. But she will always be the best boat I have every owned. Even if I would never, ever own one again.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 23:38   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

To the OP:
Make a list of Features & Characteristics which are of key import to you, & always keep it at hand from now on. Along with a; camera, & or video recorder, audio recorder (for audible note taking), & something to use as a sketch pad - so that you can expound on any "can't live without" boat features which you stumble across & snap pics of, or dream up at 2am.
No joke; as such tools of expression being at hand, stimulate the mind to creativity.

My old list, drawn up when I was 22, & had a choice Ranger 33' (my 1st boat, ideal but for her galley - okay, that & a work bench & proper sail locker), is sadly MIA. But 95%+ of that ancient list, still applies, many years & hundreds of boats later (lots, of lots of deliveries, guest sails, surveys, races, etc.). And I would kill to find it/remember where it is.
It's on a series of 3x5" notecards, with a ring through them as it's organizer (so it's pocket sized). And it covers important things such as; SADR, Ventillation, Keel & Rudder, Bunk & Galley features, etc. And... the best way(s) for said features to be constructed (including access points & designed in access/"think aheads" for maintenance).

When you see a boat that intrigues you, stop & take a look. As well as inspecting things further if you can. Plus, leave a kind note, hand written (weighted, in a Ziploc); you'll get more responses than you'd ever figure you will. Seriously.
And take the owners up on their offers for the chance to see her in further detail, live, & to go out for a guest sail/test sail as well.

For during such visits, if you "pay attention" (to what they say & don't, plus how they say it), as well as ask the right questions, & are open minded, you'll learn many of the key steps which led the owner's to said boat. And why they so value gorgeous feature X, & Y... plus several that they had in other, previous boats, as well as will have in their future yachts.

And, of course, read as much as you can on boat construction & design, and go to More boat shows than you have time for. Including viewing many types of boats which you normally wouldn't. As they'll have both; features, & methods of design & construction (ergonomics, comfort, liveability, seaworthiness...) which your "normal" style/type of boat never would/will.
Which is HUGE, in terms of forming better ideas of the "ilttle things" which you'll want to have on/in your coming boat.
- For example, if you're a full keel, pilot cutter guy, then go & see as many custom, hand made multi's as you can.

Or as they say, when you go to a designer, to have your ideal, custom boat drawn up. Go with crates full of notes, sketches, & pics. PLUS, especially, an Open Mind. As his mind, insight, & design ideas, is where the best value per $ is where your money is going.

As... "Perfection is achieved, not when there's nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to be taken away". - Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 00:19   #29

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We are quite content and always safe on our Cape George 36. For us having a pilothouse makes foul weather usually seem surreal. But I also have a fond spot for a Bill Lee design we owned, but didn't live aboard and cruise, and my first boat 42 years ago still has the most unique and precious memories for me. Delphi Tramp was a converted Navy whaleboat ketch. The hull was built in 1828 and the conversion was right after WWII. I was young and invulnerable when I learned to sail abord her. There are different best boats for different needs and phases of your life. When we are done long distance cruising we hope to keep a little tri or a sharpie maybe in the Sea of Cortez for a few more years until we swallow the anchor. That reminds me of a story of my own naivete. In 1968 I went to my first rock festival, Newport 68. I was 15, a young going to be cool hippie. I met a pretty little blond my age and spent parts of two moonstruck days with her holding hands, letting her sit on my shoulders to see better and eventually getting a few kisses. Her name was Swallow, and about 15 years later I all of a sudden thought what the hell, boy was I an idiot. I hope that memory does not offend anyone.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 06:32   #30

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Our Bristol 45.5 has been a wonderful find for long-distance cruising. Ainia has looked after us very well indeed.

I second that (Bristol 45.5) .We fall in love with ours over and over again . Are you going to the Bristol 50th anniversary in Rhode Island in
June ?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote