Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 13:05   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
What Work Ethic Works?

After 45 years of successful liveaboard cruising, I was recently asked, "How is Life Ashore?"

It's driving me crazy!

There's nothing to do in order to maintain my electrical supply. No wiring, trouble-shooting, co-ordinating the supply of my 12VDC & AC, diesel generator, wind, solar. No plumbing concerns, water storage, holding tank, maceraters. No growth below, zincs, prop, through-hulls, no roll, no chafe, no tide, no wake, no anchor drag, pumps, motors, hydraulic system.....

On the boat, I did something for the boat every day. It could of been a small segment of a big project or a simple short job. Those aspiring to live aboard are always asking for advice,- what boat, downsizing, how to do this...,that.

Here I am looking at the other side and moving off the boat. The one behavior that is most effective for successful iveaboard cruising is a steady work ethic dedicated to the boat. Do something for the boat every day.

So what do I do now? ..arrange my sock drawer?

I NEED to buy another boat!
Old 18-04-2017, 13:20   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: What Work Ethic Works?

Build a little boat in the garage!
Lightweight Sailboat Kits That You Can Build

laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 13:23   #3

I've kind of decided if we do eventually move back ashore, I'm going to build a car. Either a Cobra or a GT 40 replica.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 13:30   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As you say, you need another boat, and maybe, something social that you find fulfilling, like coaching kids in dinghies, volunteering at a hospice.

What you're describing sounds like you've got a retirement issue--who'd have thought you could have more than one retirement in life?!-- and there are many ways of addressing it.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 18-04-2017, 13:41   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Design and build a very light and aerodynamic, but fully functional and comfortable travel trailer, with all the mod cons you desire.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:01   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
After 45 years of successful liveaboard cruising, I was recently asked, "How is Life Ashore?"

It's driving me crazy!

There's nothing to do in order to maintain my electrical supply. No wiring, trouble-shooting, co-ordinating the supply of my 12VDC & AC, diesel generator, wind, solar. No plumbing concerns, water storage, holding tank, maceraters. No growth below, zincs, prop, through-hulls, no roll, no chafe, no tide, no wake, no anchor drag, pumps, motors, hydraulic system.....

On the boat, I did something for the boat every day. It could of been a small segment of a big project or a simple short job. Those aspiring to live aboard are always asking for advice,- what boat, downsizing, how to do this...,that.

Here I am looking at the other side and moving off the boat. The one behavior that is most effective for successful iveaboard cruising is a steady work ethic dedicated to the boat. Do something for the boat every day.

So what do I do now? ..arrange my sock drawer?

I NEED to buy another boat!
Move into an old house. Same principle as a boat.
Old 18-04-2017, 14:11   #7

Whew! This is the first winter I've spent with snow, after living in Northern California for the past 35 years. Worst winter ever here in southwestern BC. More rain, less sun, more snow. First snow the boat has ever seen! It was too cold to even go work on the boat even though she's in the water. I now know what all those of you who have to pull your boats out experience, and I'm glad I always resisted the urge to provide stupid answers to cold-weather sailors that some schmucks did like "I was out sailing today in Florida, 85 degrees." Man, I always thought those answers were stupid.

It has taken me awhile to conclude that there are both physical and mental affects of not boating regularly, especially from the changes you have made from full time. I just missed going out every other week and anchoring out for two nights, plus two week trips, casual races, etc.

So, "driving you crazy" could well be clinically correct. Beware of those things and get ahead of the curve dealing with it. Mine was close to depression, until the bloody sun finally came out. It's truly nuts to actually say: "Wow, 10C is rather warn, think I'll start wearing shorts!:

Good luck, go break something and then fix it, just like the boat!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:55   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
As you say, you need another boat, and maybe, something social that you find fulfilling, like coaching kids in dinghies, volunteering at a hospice.

What you're describing sounds like you've got a retirement issue--who'd have thought you could have more than one retirement in life?!-- and there are many ways of addressing it.

Good luck with it.

Ann
OK, all this good advice requires me to come out with additional information. Normally I do have more satisfying things to do as a person living ashore. Actually, as I have not yet sold my boat, I was still doing something for my boat most days of the week. I was also spending at least two hours each day increasing my skills at performance with music and about five hours a week roller skating.

My whining and complaint is magnified by my 13th day of a middle ear infection that has not responded well to my first course of antibiotics. We're trying something new, but I can't chew, blow on a woodwind instrument or balance as well on skates. I'm not even being as cordial toward my dear wife!

....but enough of that !

The advice for those that want to succeed with a life aboard a boat still holds true. The work ethic that works,- Do something for your boat every day!

....I know, I know,- now comes that pleasant signature, 'take care & joy.
.......grumble,#@#*,ratsafrattzin...dam caterpillar in my ear....
Old 18-04-2017, 15:58   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Heal fast, Hudson, best wishes for it being really fast!

Ann
Old 18-04-2017, 16:01   #10

Quote:
After 45 years of successful liveaboard cruising...........
With that in mind become a consultant and write a book (or two).....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:09   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

The advice for those that want to succeed with a life aboard a boat still holds true. The work ethic that works,- Do something for your boat every day!

Thats why I only like to cruise, and/or work as a captain, seasonally...by the end of the season I am sick of working on boats!

A few months ashore to get over it, and Im ready to go sailing again.

Of course, living off the grid in a remote location isnt always that different than living aboard...just more space.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:24   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Get to be known as the go-to guy at the local marina and you'll have plenty of boat work particularly on weekends.

Hell I have a bunch of little projects I never get to. It would be nice to have a boat handyman that doesn't charge marina shop rate.

If you want to build a kit car do the Factory Five type 65 Daytona. Then u can drive it north and give me a hand on the boat.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:41   #13

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Hudson Force I'm not being "weird" but bout 1 1/2- 2 weeks ago while sitting in my chair drinking coffee in front of my house on the East bank of the St John's river (across from Crowley dock) watched a Ketch Rig going "up river" n thought "that just might be Mr./Mrs. Hudson Force" heading to GCS...
While "you?" passed Crowley "you" slowed for what looked to be a JaxFire boat to go by at high speed. I could see the rigging rolling while riding across his following wake...

Sorry for the long story but made me think of your previous posting mentioning Jax n GCS.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:41   #14

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Move into an old house. Same principle as a boat.
Or, build a new fully off-grid home, including power and water systems. Plenty of maintenance to keep you busy even after the project is "complete"; ask me how I know...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 17:10   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Try this for the ear,
How to Treat Otitis With Boric Acid | LIVESTRONG.COM

I'm guessing you have a close to or new build home? Well, projects are coming. There's lawn and garden maintenance. Maybe plant flowers or veggies? Gutters. Driveway and patio cleaning to do. Bookshelves to build, wiring that extra closet light, changing out that dripping bathroom valve.....

Here have at it! A Home Maintenance Checklist: An Incredibly Handy Tool to Keep Your House in Tip-Top Shape | The Art of Manliness

there's painting, there's sewing, there's modifications. Are you not on pintrest?!!!! i jest
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote