Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 15:20   #16

Boat: Lagoon 40
Re: What Prompted You to Cast Off?

To be honest, my sailing buddy and I were just talking about the "what bluewater boat should I buy" question and how we always skip to the next post without reading further.....its so loaded and there are no right answers. My input is this - stop reading the books and reviews and go look at boats. Sail whatever you can get on board, and when you find the boat - you will know it. You have clearly done enough research to know what to look for - but at the end of the day, the right boat is the one that feels right for you.

One more thing I will add - when is it time to go? Well I took a semi-sabbatical in 2014 and cruised for 7 months to see if it is what I want to do. The answer was "yes", but I made a commitment to go back to work. I think that was a great way to "test the water" and prove what I now know. I am now looking forward to making longer cruises in the very near future.

Good luck
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 22:06   #17

First, let me comment there's quite a "spirited group" of folks participating in this forum judging by the language of the replies to my initial post.

Mostly I wish to thank everyone for your prompt, frank, and candid remarks.

Many of those who responded stated they needed more information in order to give informed commentary. So with that said, here's a laundry list to clarify things in the event anyone wishes to further comment.

Again, thank you everyone for your input
Truly, I guess I already pretty much got my mind set on a Cat. But I thought I'd get you all's thought's on things to consider when making a boat purchase.

The greatest challenge I foresee now is limiting the boat's payload, which as you know, can severely hamper a Cat's performance if not kept within the manufacturer's suggested amount.

All the best and safe travels.
chalupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:15   #18

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But... remember.. the sea's and oceans are still dated.. also more rudders, keels and masts fail on boats built this century than the last..
Choose according to the waters you will stay in.. or move through.
Love to see the stats on this. Considering the mass producers have put far more people on the water in boats capable of venturing further from shore a rise in accidents is inevitable. Like saying auto accidents were rare In 1910 but have oddly increased dramatically since. I for one could never afford the cost of 40 feet with comfortable accommodation without companies like Beneteau . I got lots of looks from the old crowd here in Newfoundland where marinas average age must be 70 when we bought a modern design. Couldn't be happier because as a friend that has sailed the world over in a modern design once told me "don't buy a boat for the storm you've no need to be in while suffering the 99% of the time in dock in a dark hole".
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50   #19

A few thoughts:
- I get nervous when people start out trying to escape. Most people I've met who are escape a situation they hated...are just in a new situation they hate. Think long and hard about if it's really your boss out to get you.
- You don't mention a family or wife, so I would push you towards a smaller boat.
- There are some older cats that would work (prout, catalac, PDQ, etc...). We picked up a Catalac 10m for $27k last summer. We figure when we are done, we will have another $10k into getting everything fully functional (we aren't putting $50k into it to make it look like new).

Speaking to the title of the thread: We had talked for a long time about getting a boat when we retired and heading out. My father-in-law retired bought the new truck and 5th wheel with the idea of heading out across the country. 3 months later before he had a chance to head out, he was diagnosed with ALS. Finding him just sitting in the truck in the driveway after he could no longer drive, we had to sell the rig.

After he passed, we thought about how we could make it happen sooner. Being the engineering nerd, I had a detailed spreadsheet with a household budget. One day (not even sure why I did it), I made a copy of what we would need if we were debt free. It was surprisingly little to live a very nice lifestyle. Over the next 2 yrs we paid off all our debt, switched to a more appropriate long term boat, sold the house and cars and headed out.

An off hand comment at a meeting got me an unsolicited offer for a job that I could work remotely part time, which was great because I love my work and was going to have to give it up. Tammy also was able to focus on the specific aspect of her job she loved and do it remotely. Interestingly because we no longer needed her bi-weekly check to pay on monthly bills, she was able to switch to pure commission and she makes more averaging 10hrs per week than she made putting in 40hrs per week.

We headed out in 2007.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:03   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupo View Post
[*]Why a Multihull? Stability on water, (wife will be more comfortable - less motion to prompt sea sickness, quicker than a monohull, (ability to sail away faster from threatening weather conditions) greater deck space per LOA, minimum draft to be able to cruise in/through shallower waters.[*]If I were to bail tomorrow, something like this could serve our needs nicely; .......................
No, Chalupo is not alone and likely has the proper size in mind as well as ample preparation.

I agree with the concern about those with a motivation only as an escape from a miserable job, but the focus and the preparation with this plan implies far more than just a flight from reality.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:24   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Prompted You to Cast Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Love to see the stats on this. Considering the mass producers have put far more people on the water in boats capable??? of venturing further from shore a rise in accidents is inevitable. Like saying auto accidents were rare In 1910 but have oddly increased dramatically since. I for one could never afford the cost of 40 feet with comfortable accommodation without companies like Beneteau . I got lots of looks from the old crowd here in Newfoundland where marinas average age must be 70 when we bought a modern design. Couldn't be happier because as a friend that has sailed the world over in a modern design once told me "don't buy a boat for the storm you've no need to be in while suffering the 99% of the time in dock in a dark hole".
Ahahahaaaa... folks always assume it seems that if a boats pre 2000 its a cave..
I've owned 70's Westerlies that I would not call a Cave.. plenty of light, in fact the 'Old Salts' of yesteryear used to tell me I'd need storm boards for the 'windows'..
No.. my comment is more for the cut backs in quality of exterior strengths and more focus on the Harbour Queen interior.. for example my 1987 Bene 321 was a far superior build to my 2001 331.. from hull to internal fittings.
I'll happily concede most of todays boats can do the RTW milk run safely.. if they stick to seasons and within 25*N-S.. however even then some fail.
There's Corvette roads and there's Range Rover trails.. all I'm saying is choose for your intended purpose.. its not a case that any size fits all.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40   #22

Boat: Scout 30

If you want a cat get a cat. Although they are more expensive there are cats out there that fit almost any budget & certainly yours. If you're keeping your wife's happiness in mind you're a smart man. More than one cruise has ended prematurely because the Admiral had had enough.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:59   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Don't get in a rush but start looking now. The more boats you look at the more you'll know what you want & what you can get that's within your budget. That way when you run into a good deal you'll know it. We spent 2 years finding our last boat & that was after a couple of years deciding exactly what we wanted. I bought it in Michigan & had it trucked to Florida. You might want to check out Panama. Seems to be some good deals down there. Of course Florida always has a lot of boats. I'm not really sure what you mean by a luxury tax though. You do have to pay sales tax in Florida.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:18   #24

I am about a year ahead (or more) in my process of casting off. What prompted me was after 25 years in a challenging industry (aren't they all) being partners in a small company the opportunity presented itself to cash in my chips so to speak I had spent all that time cultivating. It was hard giving your "baby" up, but at 43 years old I what really did it for me was after spending a couple weeks in the tropics loving life doing some soul searching, I went on a business trip to China. In the immigration line to get into Shanghai there were approximately 200 middle age businessmen all of them disheveled, most were overweight, and the only smile in the entire group was mine. I thought back to the smiles that were in the line when I was in the line at customs in Costa Rica, everybody was happy. If you already have "enough" why in the hell would you keep working in a situation that is less than desirable to make more money to buy crap to impress people you don't even like. Decision made.

A life well lived is actually pretty cheap. There were years in the beginning were I averaged 90+ hours a week while building the business...I can't tell you the number of times I was berated and yelled at because of "how stupid or incompetent" me or my company was for not foreseeing some emergency my customers had. All the time smiling and falling on the sword, saying "yes sir I will correct the situation immediately!". Through these years I reinvested and saved approximately 70% of my income so that someday I could be truly free. When I walked out the door for the final time 18 months ago the same customers who berated me asked how could I possibly be able to afford walk away forever at my age? I told them with the same smile, "discipline, hard work, and delayed gratification." I wouldn't change a thing for the world as it shaped me to who I am and I have some great friends out of the deal.

I am not quite sure how far I'll make it or even if I'll love it as much as I think, but at least I'll have done it and have hopefully some great memories and stories to share. I'm going with a small catamaran myself as well because its what my experience has told me best fits my needs.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 18:09   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chalupo,

I agree with Hudson, you've done your homework, and more than just the reading you first mentioned.

ol1970 mentioned that he didn't know how long he'd be at it. Well, if you take to it, it can be as long as it's still fun for you. And when it's no longer fun, then it's time to find a new goal that will draw you towards it.

Good luck with finding the cat that will work for you.

Ann
Old 08-04-2016, 07:28   #26

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

There is a sweet 40 foot something down in Guadeloupe calling your name. She is in pretty good shape and less than 100 K.

Did u try and sit down with the boss and try and work out a more reasonable relationship? It could be that he is afraid of you because he considers u a threat to his job security. Do u have medical insurance all lined up for u and your honey? That is the hook they have in my gills right now. I only have a few more years then I have lifetime medical for wife and myself. If it were not for that I would retire. Exasperation personified. Since my wife in 13 years younger than me it would not be fair for her to pull the plug and leave her insurance in the hands of 2nd rate tier.
U will do fine and u have lots of good advice
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote