Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 04:50   #16

Re: What kind of sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Very realistic and very doable budget and boat for live aboard and commuting back to the states. To get the best for the money you might have to go for an older, more basic model, probably one that needs a bit of work.

So how are your boat fixing skills? Unless you have a lot of money to pay for the work you need to be a mechanic, plumber, electrician and carpenter to start.

In the 30-35' range there are lots and lots of options. Just a few of the more common brands that come to mind: Ericson, Pearson, Morgan, Alberg, C&C, Tartan, Catalina. Good place to start shopping go to this website. Lots of information, specs and photos.

www.yachtworld.com

I am currently in school for HVAC so am learning all about plumbing and electric. I am pretty handy so the carpentry wouldn't be a problem and I love to work on motors so an older boat would be just fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mikey759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:24   #17

I live on a 34' sloop in the Caribbean. It was a perfect size when I lived on it alone. I find it a bit cramped now that I have a significant other sharing the space. I wouldn't want to round the Horn in it but for island hopping the Caribbean, it's fine. I sailed it solo across the Gulf of Mexico (4 days) but never more wind than a Beaufort 6 and that was a bit of a sleigh ride in a 34 foot sloop. With the sophisticated weather forecasting and early warnings now available, you never have to deal with tropical storms or hurricanes while under sail. I am always aware of the closest hurricane hole. So, most any boat can be safe enough in the Caribbean with a competent captain and a little planning. As far as comfort, I wish I had a separate shower stall. That's about it. I did add a swim platform, davits and a bimini.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:32   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Start looking at boats. In person. Not online. Look at as many as possible. Read as many books about sailing, cruising, boats, sailboats, diesels, outboards, anchoring, navigation, boat maintenance etc. as you can. Most importantly, go sailing.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:47   #19

OK now we have a budget! I think you can do it with $50k. If living alone or a couple 32-35 ft is fine. There are a lot of good boats out there. Do some dock walking and looking at boats in general will help narrow things down. Cape Dory 33, Westsail 32, Pearson 365, Niagara, Dufour are pretty good boats in general. It's all about finding the particular good one that you like.
And I agree... fly home.... might cost you less than sailing home that far!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:28   #20

had a westsail 32 for 9+ years! excellent sea boat! good sailor, plenty of room, they need a good dodger, most of the prices on used boats are good too! [lots of boat for the money!] just need to find the right one, with the right equipment!...look for the 'bud taplin' web site...he usta build them, and knows all about the boats for sale, plus he provides mucho info, and knowledge on parts, etc...westsail.org mite getcha their too...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:57   #21

Boat: Scout 30

I agree. Westsails are great boats. Get Ferenc Mate's book "Best Boats to build or buy".
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:18   #22

Yeah, for the stated purpose, Caribe etc, he may not need that stout a boat, but it's always nice to have a strong platform under you!

Old 26-11-2014, 12:00   #23

Boat: solaris 42 1978

buy my 42 solaris for 1,500 a foot ,,, way below what it should sale for ,, i looked for 2 years before i bought this boat was in heaven everything i wanted in a boat and had money left over to build her up to the perfect livaboard ,, after i spent some time on different momno hulls i decided on a cat sure narrowed down my choices considerably ,, and doubled what i started out to spend buying a boat
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 12:17   #24

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfraidknot View Post
buy my 42 solaris for 1,500 a foot ,,, way below what it should sale for ,, i looked for 2 years before i bought this boat was in heaven everything i wanted in a boat and had money left over to build her up to the perfect livaboard ,, after i spent some time on different momno hulls i decided on a cat sure narrowed down my choices considerably ,, and doubled what i started out to spend buying a boat
Why are you selling your boat now?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 05:42   #25

How bout an island packet 31? Would that do the trick?

mikey759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 05:47   #26

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey759 View Post
My plan is to live on my boat in the carribean. I don't know much at all about sailboats but I know that there is a lot of different things to take into consideration. I want to be able to sail to Philadelphia in Pennsylvania to visit my family on the holidays so I need a good boat that will make it that distance safely. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks
First, take the boating safety courses from the CG Aux in your area
Second, take sailing classes in your area
When the first two are completed rent a variety of sailboats from a sailing club in your area
Old 27-11-2014, 07:55   #27

Boat: solaris 42 1978

why am i selling my 42 solaris ? when i split with my wife we sold our place i had 70,000 for a home .. i bought this boat , spent my 70,000 lived on her within sight of panama city where a cheap apartment is 150,000 any more ,, it cost me 193 a year for permits to keep in panama and 200 a month for a mooring ,, the boat needs work to cruise the stbd motor injector pump is bad and i dont have the 5,000 grand to get it back online ,, and i have reconciled with my wife and bought another house ,, i could taker out with port motor runs great less than 1,000 hours but !!!
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:30   #28
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
I would choose from one of the many varieties of squarerigger. Always appropriate!
This wins
Old 27-11-2014, 08:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey759 View Post
How bout an island packet 31? Would that do the trick?

That would be a good choice.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:09   #30

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfraidknot View Post
and i have reconciled with my wife and bought another house!
Just a suggestion. Dont buy another house. Tell her she has to live on the boat. Then you will know if she really wants to live with you...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat