Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2024, 16:27   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: What it cost to have and use boat for 84 months

I enjoyed my time in Florida because I was sailing/racing most of the time when on the boat rather than sitting at anchor someplace watching Netflicks.

Actually there was no netflicks in the mid 90's when I first got to Florida.

My Apartment was about 120' from the water and our apartment's dock.

My beach cats were tied down just above the high water line and during the 8-9 Hurricanes we had while I was there I just put them on the trailers and moved them to a safe place.

It was great fun.

Plus, I was young enough to enjoy the beach bars after the sailing and racing. It was great!

I also liked running and going to the gym during the week when not sailing so if I was stuck on a monohull I wouldn't have been able to do those things.

I bought a new beach cat after I arrived after ruling out getting a monohull sailboat.

Bought the second new beach cat in 2001.

Both had spinnakers and were racing boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Landing.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	290418  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 17:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I enjoyed my time in Florida because I was sailing/racing most of the time when on the boat rather than sitting at anchor someplace watching Netflicks.

Actually there was no netflicks in the mid 90's when I first got to Florida.

My Apartment was about 120' from the water and our apartment's dock.

My beach cats were tied down just above the high water line and during the 8-9 Hurricanes we had while I was there I just put them on the trailers and moved them to a safe place.

It was great fun.

Plus, I was young enough to enjoy the beach bars after the sailing and racing. It was great!

I also liked running and going to the gym during the week when not sailing so if I was stuck on a monohull I wouldn't have been able to do those things.

I bought a new beach cat after I arrived after ruling out getting a monohull sailboat.

Bought the second new beach cat in 2001.

Both had spinnakers and were racing boats.
Sounds like great cruising. Did your beach cat have gas or electric cooker? What was your primary anchor and rode (and secondary or storm)? Electric or manual windlass?
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 19:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Sounds like great cruising. Did your beach cat have gas or electric cooker? What was your primary anchor and rode (and secondary or storm)? Electric or manual windlass?
incommunicado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 04:41   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
That's the point.

I spent lots of time looking at monohulls the first few months I was in Florida then happened to speak with a Broker.

He asked me how much time I had to sail/cruise since I was 39 years old and running a project.

I said I could sail after work, weekends, and on vacations.

He said well you won't be able to sail far in that time on a boat that may hit 7 knots on a good day.

So I knew the Hobie 16's I had at the time could reach speeds in the 20-25 knot range so I decided to continue racing and get a bigger boat.

So I bought a Nacra 6.0 which was a great boat and perfect for the 20, 30, 35, and 100 mile distance races we did there.

Five years later I bought a Nacra 17 which at the time was setup for singlehanded racing with main and spinnaker. It is hard to buoy race single handed though but I did that for another 5 years on that boat.

My cooker was in my apartment, and I never had an anchor, windlass, or an engine the 10 or so years I sailed along the Florida, Alabama, or Mississippi Gulf Coasts.

I did have anchors though on the 6 power boats I had between the ages of 16-24.

I did spend the next 10 years though when not sailing or racing beach cats walking the docks to try and determine which monohull I would get when I decided to buy one.

And now I have a Bristol 27 cruising boat which I bought in 2011.

The cooker is propane. No windlass as of yet, but I am getting older now closing in on 70.

Primary anchor is a 25 lb. Mantas M1 with backup Bruce knock off and my trusty 20 lb. CQR that I used the first 11 years I had this boat.

I got my 2nd new main on last week and tested it last weekend. I had to stay offshore though waiting for a couple squalls to pass and almost had to cross the Bay and anchor but they finally moved on which allowed me to sail back in to my marina.

Point is I'm still sailing and cruising locally. Now in and around the Chesapeake Bay area.

In late June, a few of us are going to sail offshore about 15 miles to Chesapeake Light.

In another year or so after I retire, maybe I'll cruise Round DelMarVa or Round the Outer Banks or both.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i17r.1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	290440   Click image for larger version

Name:	H16.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	290441  

Name:	IMG_1264 (2).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	290442   Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Lift 2024.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	290443  

Name:	Container (1).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	290444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	290445  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 08:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So for 7 years the cost of boat maintenance, repair, upgrades plus fuel, marina, electric, registration, and insurance works out to an average of:

$1399.62/mo
Thanks for sharing these details. Curious though, coming from striving liveaboard cruisers who are trying to figure out their own budget --
(1) what kind of boat (age, length, monohull/cat) do you have?
(2) how much of this cost was for marinas?
(3) and how much of this cost was insurance?
Eyeswideorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 08:55   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeswideorange View Post
Thanks for sharing these details. Curious though, coming from striving liveaboard cruisers who are trying to figure out their own budget --
(1) what kind of boat (age, length, monohull/cat) do you have?
(2) how much of this cost was for marinas?
(3) and how much of this cost was insurance?
I will PM you the spreadsheet

guess I can not attach, if you want it email me at svrubberducky "at" gmail.com

Tags
boat