Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 12:35   #16

Re: What Is The Pinnacle of your WOW Life-Style Onboard !?

living the dream but fireworks over airlie with my granndson on front net after a full days sailing come to mind but never!! attached to an electric lead sad too many marina livers/sailors
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:52   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Is The Pinnacle of your WOW Life-Style Onboard !?

Being circled by a pod of Orca mid Atlantic and having them accompany me every night for the next 5 days.. pods of Whales keeping company down WA.. and every time dolphins play at my bow..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:26   #18

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Solitude...
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:29   #19

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Thank you guys, each of you digging out precious pebbles.

Yes, building on own capabilities is unusual nowadays. Realizing that we finally did what looked like "impossible " to us (or, no one did ever before on our boat) is quite special.

And, though an engineer, sailing propulsion always sounds like magic to me (richard Dana has a lyrical recall of a nocturnal full sail thrust in perfect motion, under the moon, the sails still).

It looks like finding yourself on the thin-layer between things, in space/time, is the key. As we become the interconnection among the special moments, our feat, and our memories.

I remember the peace after a three day storm, or sailing below 1kn in total stillness of air/sea, inside the Antibes bay, and mooring with power off...

But, having to recall something physical/material which endows me with a sense of satisfaction and pride, it is a rugged boat perfectly trimmed for severe navigation.

PS my cooking knives, i used 'em only after 2years from purchase, as the boat completed its 1st phase of upgrading ("back to standard")
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Feeding the ducks at dawn whilst at anchor on the River Dart. Sometimes its the simple things

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 007.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	139788  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 14:42   #21

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There’s the time my brother came to visit when he was 22, when I was living board. One evening we had a few margaritas at happy hour, along with the excellent (gratis) roast beef. Then when we went to bed, & about 5min. later he asked me in a panicked voice:
(Him) “What’s that noise"?
(Me) "What noise"?
(Him) "It sounds like we’re being attacked by giant lobsters”.
(Me) While stifling a Huge laugh. “There are hundreds of tiny shrimp that eat the algae that grows on the hull. That’s what you’re hearing”.
After which we both dozed of pretty quickly. It was a fun visit, getting to play together as adult brothers.

Or in my early 20’s, being at anchor, curled up with my new sweetie, & going to sleep listening to the rain on deck 3’ above our heads. Feeling warm, safe, & secure. Silently taking in all of the good life.

My first time sailing on Stars & Stripes the 12m. What a rush. After that day, everything else was just a boat. Even the J’s (there were but 2 afloat then), & various other grand marques.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:56   #22

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

Just getting in the Dinghy at the marina to go out the boat on the mooring ball, I smile and realize soon I will not look back and start the last few chapters of my life aboard the boat.

Kid put threw collage, 30 years in the same little business, busting butt , proud of that, 4 years in the USN, proud of that too.

Sooooo Blessed, soooo Blessed.

Cheers
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 17:14   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

It happens underway. Total concentration, mind locked in the present. I am completely consumed with the boat and her surroundings, subtle nuances do not escape my notice.
My entire being consumed with the task at hand.
The Joy that permeates me is palatable.

This focus lasts until I step off the boat at the end of the sail ...2 hours or two months latter. It continues while I sleep, while at anchor, motoring or under sail.
The most incredible feeling.....Feeling ALIVE.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 17:17   #24

For me it is leaving life on land behind. Working g with the wind, playing with the waves, watching clouds and cats paws on the water..... Sometimes it's taking comfort in the hum of the old A4 motor, watching the chart plotter and comparing it's picture to distant smudges on the horizon. Whether it's only a few hours or a number of days at a time, it changes often and earns a new assessment of how to work and play and enjoy. If there were stresses left on shore, it's hard to remember why they were annoying.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote