Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 18:14   #121

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
I know you don't want to hear this, but Anjou is right on. You're missing having someone by your side and that's to be expected. But your mind isn't right now. At least in the respect to making smart long term relationship choices. Don't use the liveaboard lifestyle
as a selling point for finding a mate. Enjoy your boat, keep it clean and female
friendly, and never, but never, boss, instruct, or raise hour voice should a date/daysail happen. Lean towards outdoorsy women. Hang in there, don't push or search too hard. Women can smell desperation and most view it as a sign of weakness. And rightfully so. A night on the town will buy a can of Epihanes. I've lived aboard for
6 years this April. I still haven't found 'her' and may not. Keep that option open too!
Good luck!!
Rick
Old 01-03-2010, 18:22   #122

rough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Guess I've lost touch with just rough it is being single!
depends on what you call rough.....i can sail all day long and never be told i did something wrong....the boat is never heeled over too far....i'm never asked if i know where i'm going and how long before we get there.....my hair never needs cut and i never "could use a shave"...and it's amazing how much more i know since i'm single...
loudon wainwright III had it right in his song "i'd rather be lonely"
ellisdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:22   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Join an active club, buy a boat and race it in the club races, or get yourself involved in the beer can races by joining as crew.
Make it about meeting people of like mind.
I'm not saying it is easy but I think you have a better chance finding a like minded mate on the water then you do in front of a computer.
Having lived and worked in Hong Kong for some time "Ex-Calif's" thoughts resonate well. I belonged to 2 very different Yacht Clubs, the one's subs and fees paid by my company. The other a club in the New Territories where every week-end starting 5 pm Friday, I would arrive at my boat do a quick change into casuals, meet guests, get them and their clobber on board, cast off and sail/motor to an anchorage away from the marina. Put the hook down, get introductions out of the way, show new friends how to operate the toilets, put some soft music on, serve some drinks and discuss what everyone might like to do Saturday and Sunday.
Over the years I met so many friends/female, who today I still count as "sailmates" From those early beginnings we later sailed together exploring the waters of South East Asia.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:53   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i donot race no rdo i enjoy the oxymoronic adventure of sailboat racing. i like to cruise under sail..lol.....i have found most of the men i have met are insecure enough to not find comfort in "dating" a female with sa larger boat than theirs is..lol......go figger--and i have 2 of those--they also seem to be insecure in the presence of a strong female--kind that say one thing while meaning something else---i donot enjoy their single date bs and i donot go there---i prefer to sail with men--and i find my friends are good to sail with----mebbe i will fall over someone who isnt as i described-- since i moved aboard in 1990 i have met all kinds of men with all kinds of wacky problems--makes me see there isnt really a dating scene, as such , on th ewater ..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:22   #125
Marine Service Provider

You know, zeehag does have a very good point.

You may meet lots of people by joining a club, but I bought a boat to live on it, cruise, travel, sight see, jump off the back to go swimming, scuba dive, put around in a dingy, grill...with a few drinks of course, and probably even do some fishing. I have ZERO interest in racing and question weather I really would have all that much in common with people in a sailing or yacht club.

Are cruisers and racers really all that like minded?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28   #126
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

And thats why they stay away from us... have you not heard the warnings racing round the Boatyard/Sailing Club.... "Watch him.. he sails single-handed... he'll try and get into your wifes knickers if you don't watch him..."
Sorta modern variation on the old.."The Vikings are coming... hide your Wives and Daughters.."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15   #127

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Havent you heard what married women say about single women?
When your a single girl, you dont get many invitations to parties attended and held by couples as the wife sees you as a potential threat.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29   #128
CLOD

Boat: none
www.Zoosk.com

I got a kick out this becoming the banner ad when I opened this thread.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:34   #129

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Nice hot chicks Don, but dont you think those kinds of girls are gonna miss the nail bars and malls if they go to sea?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:48   #130
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Nice hot chicks Don, but dont you think those kinds of girls are gonna miss the nail bars and malls if they go to sea?
LMAO.....

Old 02-03-2010, 13:18   #131
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
"The Vikings are coming... hide your Wives and Daughters.."
no...No...NO. Hide the wives, but don't lock up the daughters.

Quote:
When your a single girl, you dont get many invitations to parties attended and held by couples as the wife sees you as a potential threat.
Not sure it this was a joke, but it does seem there are a lot of events where singles aren't really welcome and are excluded.

Quote:
Not to mention losing one of my entire aft cabins to shoes.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 16:45   #132

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
What Is the Dating Scene Like on the Water ? Wet with a chance of Drowning!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:58   #133

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
What is the dating scene like on the water? Well, it depends if you are actively cruising or just living on a boat in a static location. If moving, it is great, especially outside the USA. Formerly single, it was not problem meeting plenty of local women fascintated with life on a boat. One of my fellow single-handers on a tri was a record setter - the longest it took him to "fall in love" and have a beautiful local on his arm was 24 hours. In one harbor we both arrived at the same time, checked in with Customs/Immigration at the same time and when we met again back at the dinghy dock he had a stunning woman on his arm.
- - So the Dating Scene on the water is wide open with opportunities for getting as many girlfriends as you can handle. Finding a wife/permanent partner is a whole different scene. So it is all about what you are looking for . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:19   #134
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

Not sure it this was a joke, but it does seem there are a lot of events where singles aren't really welcome and are excluded.
is NOT a joke--many felames cannot tolerate the idea of a single female near their spouses--why i donot know--taken men donot appeal to most of us..we have standards also-- just is weird that so many felames are that way--ruins the fun and socializing aspect of cruising......

(yes, i misspelled female appropriately--is lame to act in such manner--exhibits insecurity in a grand scale, therefore felame suits them well.....).
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:26   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Some/most of these lines from Hepburn are standard female on the water..

and the eternal arguement... who's the Skipper...lmao