Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 05:28   #91

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I like over 50, that way I do not have communication problems like having to explain Who the Who was (or is)or who the Moodie Blues was, (or is). Or the siginificance of Woodstock or why I get pissed everytime I see or think about "The Wall". (side bar: Yeah I served in Nam) Makes life easier that way.

Now as for a short meanless overnight affair, perhaps, but for the long term, well I have raised my kids, did a good job, they all turned out, but, don't wantta do that again. there is a reason young people have kids.

Maybe I will singlehand to the Bahamas?

Thanks for the insight.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:19   #92

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
And you cant tell complex jokes to kids without having to explain the meaning and so many other things you dont think of untill your dating someone half your age.

Its a weird feeling being partly elated youve pulled somone half your age and partly feeling so guilty and wondering if other people are watching you and thinking your parent and child.

I hate guilty conciences.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:23   #93

Mule

Whats with the Poodle?

Now im seriously getting worried about you. Lectric blankets are bad enough but beastly behaviour is gone beyond.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:40   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Mule

Whats with the Poodle?

Now im seriously getting worried about you. Lectric blankets are bad enough but beastly behaviour is gone beyond.
There's a daft rumour that dogs are great for pulling birds when you take em for a walk... supposed to go like this....
Man and dog in park or on the beach... passing female says "Oh !! what a cute little dog..."
Man says "Thank you he's cool.. pet him if you want, he wont bite"...
Ice broken interrogation/invitation process can begin....
"Are you married"... "Any kids"... "Fancy a drink"... "Can we bleed on each other"....
Other popular venues include Laundromats and late night Supermarkets... UK Tuesdays and Wednesdays are best its rumoured...lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 06:43   #95

Boat: Privilege 37
The issue of should you split to follow your dreams or stay for the kids is probably one of the most difficult decisions, and really depends on just how difficult life is between you.

I would expect an earlier parting would ease the problems of recrimination over the divorce and even leave the possibility of remaining friends - but IMHO that is only feasible if there are no kids in the equation.

My decision was to wait until my kids were not only through school but also somewhat more settled in life. I was also very aware of the fragile state of ex-wife, however, it got to the point where I was on the brink of a nervous breakdown, and so I kicked her out.

This meant that she at least got the treatment she needed - which had been denied before because I was available to look after her. It also meant that there was no chance whatsoever of the parting being friendly.

My son told me afterwards that he didn't know how I had stayed sane over the previous 5 years.

Sometimes I am not sure I did

However, the one thing I have been able to hold onto and has kept me going over the last 10 years, is that cruising life ahead.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:53   #96

Everyone has their individual stories to tell but when its all analysed, human behaviour always conforms to a few basic versions.
Old 26-02-2010, 07:00   #97

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Hm...I think what I don't like about this thread is how broadly people are classified, without knowing all the circumstances. There's enough judgemental people around, that I think I'll keep my personal life to myself.
Old 26-02-2010, 07:03   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thought the TITLE of this post was "Whats the Dating Scene like on the Water".... seems to have warped into a Problem Page on Marital Affairs...
Sorry guys.. I have every sympathy with you having gone through divorce myself, and a son was in the equation but...
This is not the place to do your bleeding.... there are other sites more suited...
Try to keep it a little more Ian Dury

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 10:14   #99

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
the ratios of man and woman are about 80% woman/ 20% men so its a great place for men to meet nice woman
Thanks. I'm very aware of that, but there are only so many hours in the day and I've made a personal commitment to dance for now.

I need the yoga as I'm exercising these days (losing weight) so I'm tight. But it's gonna half to wait a few months.
Old 26-02-2010, 10:34   #100

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Mule

Whats with the Poodle?

Now , Now, Sassy is the only redhead I really trust. Take your dog and your siginificant other, lock em both in the trunk of a car. Come back in 15 minutes and release em both and just see which is glad to see you.

My money is on the dog and the unconditional love your dog always has for you. My dog I trust totallly, and she me. People however...

Now as for physical needs, I just put black sheets on the bed to morn the end of my sex no life as I said earlier. BUT, I have a seagoing boat, a great dog, no debt, social security, good health and a nest egg so life is good.
Old 26-02-2010, 15:53   #101

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Now , Now, Sassy is the only redhead I really trust. Take your dog and your siginificant other, lock em both in the trunk of a car. Come back in 15 minutes and release em both and just see which is glad to see you.

My money is on the dog and the unconditional love your dog always has for you. My dog I trust totallly, and she me. People however...

Now as for physical needs, I just put black sheets on the bed to morn the end of my sex no life as I said earlier. BUT, I have a seagoing boat, a great dog, no debt, social security, good health and a nest egg so life is good.
LOL! Yeah, ain't that the sad, @#$%^&@ truth.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 16:16   #102

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
First things first

ReleaseMe,

Dude, like I told a friend of mine a while back. Get where you want to be first.
To use the Redneck analogy:
You can't deerhunt off the back porch of a brownstone in NYC, you gotta get to the WOODS.
Get sailing, hang with sailors and where sailors hang out. Then start looking. You never know....

From that ex-Texarkanan.
Fish

Mule:
Quote:
release em both and just see which is glad to see you.
True THAT!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 13:22   #103

There are probably lots of single gals on the water lookin' for companionship.

They just don't have internet for various reasons or don't post on web forums.
Old 28-02-2010, 21:05   #104

Boat: Pearson 281
I think with a new boat of the Morgan's size the advice of sailing first-dating next is pretty good and I sympathize with concerns about single handing her and desiring company for the learning curve. When I went from 24 to 32ft. it took a bit to get my singlehanding confidence built up for the difference in size and the new boat's greater power but it can be done handily enough if a person takes it in small pieces (what's the rush?) and sets the boat up properly. Singlehanded Sailing by Richard Henderson was a good buy for me and helped with the learning curve. I was always tempted to ask a particular person to help when I first started sailing Oceansize and she would have been glad to but it would have led to problems so I had to suck it up and keep going out on my own. I was tempted to confuse the need for company on a new boat with the need for a relationship...yikes! Enjoy getting to know the boat on your own and pushing through some of the fears you will be a much better skipper and date on the water if you do.
I also agree with previous posters who recommended getting more involved in "the life" and your local sailing community. By enjoying and making the most of the commraderie within the community bacheloresse's 1, 2 and 3 will appear over time and it's a better bet that they like sailing and boats a lot!
Once my boat is back in action I will be following my own advice in this regard since I figure this is the best way to find my very own LTR sailing adventuress. This will include one of the local singles yacht clubs (one that is part of the local association for racing and reciprocals) and trying for crew slots on grrrlboats.
Not an easy thing for either sex this match-finding and there have to be some frogs kissed along the way but someboady is out there who will take my breath away again.
I don't like sailing alone that much either.
Who's gonna pinch my butt as I head up the companionway?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 21:55   #105

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
....I was tempted to confuse the need for company on a new boat with the need for a relationship...yikes! Enjoy getting to know the boat on your own and pushing through some of the fears you will be a much better skipper and date on the water if you do. ...I don't like sailing alone that much either.
Who's gonna pinch my butt as I head up the companionway?
Good post, very insightful. So I'll just add that nothing is more handsome then a sailor man with his head screwed on right. yep, he will find his sailor gal all right.