Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 18:58   #76

Re: What is the cheapest to maintain sub 30 feet powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
OK is there a real reason for the location of San Fran? You would be many times more able to do what you propose in places like the puget sound region.
BTW glad you decided to get away from stinky pots and go them sailboat route. ( I currently live on my islander 24 near the bremerton navy yard.)
San Francisco is because my wife will probably work around that area. So Oakland Alameda marinas are cool too, anywhere where there is a subway connection. In fact it could turn out my wife working in Mountain View, unfortunately no marinas too near there, so we'd have to find another route to get to the boat fast and easy.

I'm definitely happier to go with sailboats since both of us weren't large fans of powerboats. I was just under the temporary impression they are cheaper and easier to maintain.
BoxHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 19:06   #77

I might've made a mistake and not revealed that we plan to set aside a minimum monthly budget of around 1000 usd for all boat related matters. I know this might change a lot and it is absolutely my mistake. Sorry about that.

The budget is supposed to go into maintenance, slip rent, repair, registration etc... all the monthly fixed expenditures. This will enable us to feel good that we're saving something as opposed to land AND live out our dream of living in a small space that is mobile.

I am willing to offset as much as possible in terms of the repairs and maintenance that I can physically do. I will at first completely stay away from electricity though. I've had my fun with that and don't want to get fried again. But I am intending to learn as time progresses and take over more and more of different aspects.
Old 14-11-2016, 19:09   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have a house boat in my Marina, it has never moved in three years that I have been there.
Is basically a box maybe 30 ft long and I'd guess 12' wide. It has twin Honda 20 HP outboards that are tilted completely out of the water.
I'm sure it has more room than my boat inside and likely has much less expensive household appliances, is cooled by window unit AC's and the like.
For just living on, it has a boat beat hands down, easy to get off and onto, small front "porch" with rocking chairs, think small mobile home that floats.
Unfortunately we're definitely not interested in a houseboat. The reason that I'm planning to mostly not move the boat is that I want to slowly easy in learning how to pilot it. Eventually we'd definitely want to sail the coast, and one of the major aspects of owning a boat is that you have your house which you can move to different places. We also want to minimize size because of cheaper slips and we are in love with small compact living spaces, leaving a small footprint.

My wife is against a houseboat too. But thank you for the idea.
Old 14-11-2016, 19:45   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxHome View Post
San Francisco is because my wife will probably work around that area. So Oakland Alameda marinas are cool too, anywhere where there is a subway connection. In fact it could turn out my wife working in Mountain View, unfortunately no marinas too near there, so we'd have to find another route to get to the boat fast and easy.

I'm definitely happier to go with sailboats since both of us weren't large fans of powerboats. I was just under the temporary impression they are cheaper and easier to maintain.
OK so sounds like you don't have the jobs locked in yet . What do you do for a living ?If iI may ask. Most jobs that are in the sf bay are available in most costal areas. So unless there is a reason for that region don't discount the rest of the coast.
Old 14-11-2016, 21:36   #80

Quote:
OK so sounds like you don't have the jobs locked in yet . What do you do for a living ?If iI may ask. Most jobs that are in the sf bay are available in most costal areas. So unless there is a reason for that region don't discount the rest of the coast.
It's ideal if we don't have the jobs locked in, but they're pretty firmly locked in. We're also quite interested to gravitate approximately around San Francisco.
Old 15-11-2016, 07:19   #81

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Please excuse my attitude, but this is NOT!! what we need.. Another derelict boat in the marina, by someone who just wants to live on the cheap.. No doubt there will be a lot of junk on deck which invariably leads to junk on the dock etc..

You know many RV parks have adopted limitations on age and condition of the RV being placed on the lot to keep them from looking like ghettos.. There are a couple of Marina's of which I know, I will not use because of the collection of live aboards who only have boats because they can be cheap.. The boats haven't had any maintenance in years and are literally rotting at the dock..

Living as cheaply possible should not be the driving reason for living aboard.. Please again, sorry for my attitude, but stay the hell away from my marina..
flk ar
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 07:30   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
Please excuse my attitude, but this is NOT!! what we need.. Another derelict boat in the marina, by someone who just wants to live on the cheap.. No doubt there will be a lot of junk on deck which invariably leads to junk on the dock etc..

You know many RV parks have adopted limitations on age and condition of the RV being placed on the lot to keep them from looking like ghettos.. There are a couple of Marina's of which I know, I will not use because of the collection of live aboards who only have boats because they can be cheap.. The boats haven't had any maintenance in years and are literally rotting at the dock..

Living as cheaply possible should not be the driving reason for living aboard.. Please again, sorry for my attitude, but stay the hell away from my marina..
flk ar
This seems very harsh and totally uncalled for. You are making a lot of accusations and assumptions about a person you have never even seen. How do you know how he will keep his boat? Also, I see nothing wrong with looking for a low cost way to live which does not necessarily mean living like a slob.

On top of all that, your profile says you're in Corpus Christi Tx and he's talking about San Francisco California so any possible infestation he brings will be a couple thousand miles away.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 07:42   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

flk ar
Your post seems rather mean spirited and includes lots of assumptions .
I do believe one of the big ticket items in his first post was to ask about maintance costs. A person that just wants to live on a derelict vessel would not ask about the maintance and associated costs of boat ownership .
Old 15-11-2016, 08:49   #84

Quote:
Your post seems rather mean spirited and includes lots of assumptions .
I do believe one of the big ticket items in his first post was to ask about maintance costs. A person that just wants to live on a derelict vessel would not ask about the maintance and associated costs of boat ownership .
From the OP original post I quote:

"It's more of a decision to live in a place that is small, and which would
hopefully run us cheaper than rent after the initial investments."

Life is full of assumptions.. Just about 100% of the derelict boats of which I run across at some of the marinas are from people who are trying to live cheaper than paying rent.. I refused to dock my boat at those marinas..

And if being concerned for the appearance of the marina in which I keep my boat is mean spirited, I apologize for how it sounds.. And though today I live in Corpus, there is no telling where I may live tomorrow..

flk ar
Old 15-11-2016, 09:17   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
And if being concerned for the appearance of the marina in which I keep my boat is mean spirited, I apologize for how it sounds.. And though today I live in Corpus, there is no telling where I may live tomorrow..

flk ar
Nothing at all wrong with being concerned about the appearance of your marina or in fact your area, moorings and any other place boats will be. Derelict boats are a problem and bring criticism and public animosity towards all boaters.

What is not right is assuming the OP will be the owner of a derelict boat, regardless of his desire to live cheaply or not.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 09:29   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This may sound harsh, but I assure you I am writing in a friendly tone of voice.

The answer to that question, along with many others you will likely have is found in the many previous threads on similar topic of living aboard in San Francisco Bay area. See the many links via the two search links I posted earlier.

In fact, based on the very common questions I see posted by newbies and new members here on CF who say they want to "buy a boat and live on it in San Francisco" I estimate that 90% or more of the likely questions are already answered and discussed in those previous threads/topics/discussions.

The question of "Which marinas allow live-aboard in SF" Is answered.
The question of "How do I find a Live-aboard slip in SF Bay" Is answered.
The question of "Can I stay on my boat without paying for a live-aboard slip" Is answered.
The question of "can I move from marina to marina as a transient" IS answered in those threads.
The question of "How much does it cost to live-aboard in San Francisco" is answered.
And, many more.

My suggestion to any newbie or new forum member: Search First, Ask Second.

You should do some research/reading (within the forum archives) as your questions are basic ones that have been asked many times and answered very thoroughly here before

My Best Tip regarding searching the archives: Learn to use the Google Custom Search method of searching CF.

NOTE! The Google Custom Search is found in the top level drop down menu bar under "SEARCH" on CF when you are viewing CF with a internet browser like Safari or Internet Explorer, but is NOT available when viewing CF while using the CF mobile app. I use it everyday with my iPad, using Safari to browse the internet.

I say this to help you get the answers as quickly as possible, but that still does take you doing some homework (in those threads).

This is the BEST advice I will give any newbie or anyone here: Do your homework (research) by reading the archived threads (discussions) and ask additional questions that are focused on what you did NOT find already answered. In short, put some effort into it, and you will learn more in the process.
Actually, nearly every subject has been discussed in the past on CF by now, We should just shut it down, all the info is out there by searching.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 11:17   #87

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
From the OP original post I quote:

"It's more of a decision to live in a place that is small, and which would
hopefully run us cheaper than rent after the initial investments."

Life is full of assumptions.. Just about 100% of the derelict boats of which I run across at some of the marinas are from people who are trying to live cheaper than paying rent.. I refused to dock my boat at those marinas..

flk ar
It was somewhat crass but I can see where are coming from. My thought was a VW Caravan with flowers painted on it but that must be painting it with a broad brush. I've met live aboards with nice boats that are snobs and some with old nice boats that where as nice as you could imagine and visa versa. I hope they find their dream.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 11:35   #88
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Actually, nearly every subject has been discussed in the past on CF by now, We should just shut it down, all the info is out there by searching.
That is not my point.
It is not my point to stifle discussions or to inhibit questions.

My point is simply:

If a newbie to sailing or a new member to CF wants fast answers to common questions, the fastest way to get to the most (possible answers) is to first search the archives to see the possibly hundreds of previously posted comments in replies to previously posted similar topics.

I suggest this, rather than waiting longer than necessary for a new thread on an old topic to possibly receive more of the same opinions, or not.

So, my post is about efficiency of getting to the answers quickly and easily, and with likely more breadth of answers, simply by searching and by doing so in the most effective manner.

Searching is fast and easy, especially if you use the method I suggest.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 11:55   #89

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That is not my point.
It is not my point to stifle discussions or to inhibit questions.

My point is simply:

If a newbie to sailing or a new member to CF wants fast answers to common questions, the fastest way to get to the most (possible answers) is to first search the archives to see the possibly hundreds of previously posted comments in replies to previously posted similar topics.

I suggest this, rather than waiting longer than necessary for a new thread on an old topic to possibly receive more of the same opinions, or not.

So, my post is about efficiency of getting to the answers quickly and easily, and with likely more breadth of answers, simply by searching and by doing so in the most effective manner.

Searching is fast and easy, especially if you use the method I suggest.
But how long would it take to read through all the BS if searching the archives? The I've known someone, My boat is a whatever, etc..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 11:59   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
[snip]
What is not right is assuming the OP will be the owner of a derelict boat, regardless of his desire to live cheaply or not.
If I toss a coin up, it is safe to assume it will land 50% of the time on heads, and 50% of the time on tails..

If at a given marina, 100% of the derelict boats are owned by those just living on the cheap, it is reasonable to assume when someone asks what is the cheapest type of boat on which to live, it is reasonable to make the assumption I did..

flk k

Tags
cheap