Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 09:06   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: What is the cheapest to maintain sub 30 feet powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
That stuff about out drives is really interesting considering just about every power boat in my marina under 30 ft has out drives . The key to out drive maintance is zink.
Zink paint and zink anodes .
Probably so but with the OP's concern about maintenance costs and wanting to have limited usage other than live aboard, I doubt an outdrive will do anything but corrode and grow grass. The no. of outdrives in the marina is probably cost driven with a four bolt main gas truck engine. Granted they have their place, I had one, a good get up and go boat for diving or fishing but had a trailer. That is just MHO.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:12   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a house boat in my Marina, it has never moved in three years that I have been there.
Is basically a box maybe 30 ft long and I'd guess 12' wide. It has twin Honda 20 HP outboards that are tilted completely out of the water.
I'm sure it has more room than my boat inside and likely has much less expensive household appliances, is cooled by window unit AC's and the like.
For just living on, it has a boat beat hands down, easy to get off and onto, small front "porch" with rocking chairs, think small mobile home that floats.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:26   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have a house boat in my Marina, it has never moved in three years that I have been there.
Is basically a box maybe 30 ft long and I'd guess 12' wide. It has twin Honda 20 HP outboards that are tilted completely out of the water.
I'm sure it has more room than my boat inside and likely has much less expensive household appliances, is cooled by window unit AC's and the like.
For just living on, it has a boat beat hands down, easy to get off and onto, small front "porch" with rocking chairs, think small mobile home that floats.
Sounds like the OP's solution if he can find a marina out there to take a live aboard.
Old 14-11-2016, 09:52   #64

It sounds like you are talking a powerboat....? For 20k you can get a lot more than 23 ft. One thing you might try to find is one without an outdrive. Outdrives can be a bit expensive to maintain, are subject to corrosion, and anodes should be replaced regularly. SO if you can find a shaft drive at that price point it might be an advantage.
If you don't intend to actually use the boat a lot, larger dual engine models often sell fairly reasonable as they guzzle fuel. You might find a twin 454 engine shaft drive Bayliner etc for your money.
Just a thought. I don't think you will find a trawler for $20k.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:54   #65

Boat: Scout 30

What about the houseboat community just north of the bridge in Sausalito? I haven't been there in a really long time but it used to be pretty neat. Might be able to rent something there if it still exists.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:56   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just a thought. I don't think you will find a trawler for $20k.
Haven't priced them lately but the old mainship trawlers (early 1980's) might be found in that price range.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:03   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Haven't priced them lately but the old mainship trawlers (early 1980's) might be found in that price range.
Good point, it may be possible. Didn't see quite that low several years back, maybe now.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:04   #68
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

You know, it might be nice if people actually read the thread before posting. Just sayin'
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:19   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You know, it might be nice if people actually read the thread before posting. Just sayin'
Weren't you the one who pointed out that getting a liveaboard slip in cali is really hard when the OP never asked about getting a liveaboard slip?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:24   #70
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Weren't you the one who pointed out that getting a liveaboard slip in cali is really hard when the OP never asked about getting a liveaboard slip?
Clearly you haven't read the thread either.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:28   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It appears you and I are on the same page about the OP having an outdrive.
I am afraid they would be better off remaining ashore. The panacea of living aboard is BS without sufficient income.
Old 14-11-2016, 11:00   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you are set on SF Bay area but don't have to be too close in for your wife's work you might have better luck finding a liveaboard slip further north or south. South towards Redwood City or north towards San Pablo Bay.

Warning!! I'm not a SF resident and not totally up to speed on all the surrounding areas but I do hear that some neighborhoods are not desirable IE safe places to live. I'm sure fastbottoms can offer some advice in this area.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 14:24   #73

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Hey BoxHome, If you are still on the sailboat track, I'd say you are looking at a minimum of 30ft for 2 people. I have a 35ft center cockpit, which means my aft cabin is quite small and my forward cabin (saloon, head, galley) is about the size a 30ft sailboat would have. I think you can find a 30-36' sailboat for $20k, but it could be in rough shape. You might look for one that has a blown diesel engine and sell the engine for scrap. I wonder if you could find a marina on the Sacramento River NE of SF and take Bart into town for work?
Old 14-11-2016, 14:46   #74

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

He particularly wanta a very small boat. Thinking now about Catalina 27.
Your suggestion of Sacramento River might well be an option for him.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 17:55   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This may sound harsh, but I assure you I am writing in a friendly tone of voice.

The answer to that question, along with many others you will likely have is found in the many previous threads on similar topic of living aboard in San Francisco Bay area. See the many links via the two search links I posted earlier.

The question of "Which marinas allow live-aboard in SF" Is answered.
The question of "How do I find a Live-aboard slip in SF Bay" Is answered.
The question of "Can I stay on my boat without paying for a live-aboard slip" Is answered.
The question of "can I move from marina to marina as a transient" IS answered in those threads.
The question of "How much does it cost to live-aboard in San Francisco" is answered.
And, many more.
I'm really trying my best not to ask questions that are easily searchable here or anywhere and don't have some unique specific pertaining only to me.
Granted for the move marina to marina as a transient I didn't really check, but I didn't know the keyword "transient" and it seemed like something not many would ask.

The rest I didn't ask because they seemed like I could find answers either here or somewhere else.

Thanks for the Google search tip, definitely useful. No worries about sounding harsh, I appreciate it. Much better than glazing the truth and confusing a newbie like me
BoxHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap