Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What boat would you buy to liveaboard and cruise?
Catalina 27 15 16.13%
Columbia 26 0 0%
Columbia 28 0 0%
Columbia 29 10 10.75%
Ericson 29 16 17.20%
Islander Bahama 26 1 1.08%
Macgregor 26 3 3.23%
Marieholm International Folkboat 26 2 2.15%
Pearson Ariel 26 7 7.53%
Shock Santana 28 2 2.15%
None 37 39.78%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 19:55   #76
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: What is the best small sailboat to live on and cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
not going to be in the condition you want for the price you want.
your looking at 30-40,000 for what your asking for condition wise.
I can only think you haven't looked around in this price range in Florida recently, or you have a very exclusive, very special definition of 'good condition". After all, he's not doing a solo circumnavigation.

It is very possible, good examples abound like:
'81 Hunter 30 complete with New paint job on deck and bottom and many extras, new roller furling jib, Garmen GPS, Blue canvas covers for winches, helm and main sail. Cockpit cushions. Davits.Has only been sailed in Palm Beach County for the last 6 years. Sails great.Well maintained Sleeps 6. Alcohol two burner stove. Currently out of water..."
Oh yeah, and a yanmar with 850 hours Used 1981 Hunter 30 For Sale in Palm Beach County, Flor A good survey, deduct the yard cost of needed repairs, off you go.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 21:03   #77

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye31 View Post
How would a 29 Morgan be for a live aboard. found one for $3000
Sailboatdata.com doesn't list a Morgan 29. Could the ad have mislabeled what the boat is? Can you post a link to the ad?
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:06   #78

Wasn't an add a friend of a friend told me about it. It siting on the hard in a storage yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00i0i_hVBBExoLQOC_600x450.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	93162  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:18   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Sailboatdata.com doesn't list a Morgan 29. Could the ad have mislabeled what the boat is? Can you post a link to the ad?
It's probably a mislabeled 28. Of 4 boats which I owned 2 came with this issue. Both had a foot added to their registration even though they were actually 27' and 28' models respectively. I was told that this was either done intentionally by the initial dealers to squeeze more $$ out of the sale or by the state during registratoin process as they may have used the actual length which in the case of a 28 footer of mine is 28.2'. Also my understanding is that many (most?) marinas when charging for slips use actual length so as far as they are concerned a 28.2'footer has to pay as a 29footer.

BTW the state wanted me to do a formal survey for them to accept a downgrade to 27' (not likely done for a boat purchased for $400). While the town where it was registered accepted copies of its old sales brochures and other informal proof that the builder never built a 28footer. It wasn't the question of costs in my case but of the swing room assignment as it allowed me to get a spot closer to shore in our mooring field.

What does the HIN say?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43   #80

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
I can only think you haven't looked around in this price range in Florida recently, or you have a very exclusive, very special definition of 'good condition". After all, he's not doing a solo circumnavigation.

'81 Hunter 30 complete with New paint job on deck and bottom and many extras, new roller furling jib, Garmen GPS, Blue canvas covers for winches, helm and main sail. Cockpit cushions. Davits.Has only been sailed in Palm Beach County for the last 6 years. Sails great.Well maintained Sleeps 6. Alcohol two burner stove. Currently out of water..."
Oh yeah, and a yanmar with 850 hours Used 1981 Hunter 30 For Sale in Palm Beach County, Flor A good survey, deduct the yard cost of needed repairs, off you go.
What a great find. As in WOW!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 13:31   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It's probably a mislabeled 28. Of 4 boats which I owned 2 came with this issue. Both had a foot added to their registration even though they were actually 27' and 28' models respectively. I was told that this was either done intentionally by the initial dealers to squeeze more $$ out of the sale or by the state during registratoin process as they may have used the actual length which in the case of a 28 footer of mine is 28.2'. Also my understanding is that many (most?) marinas when charging for slips use actual length so as far as they are concerned a 28.2'footer has to pay as a 29footer.

BTW the state wanted me to do a formal survey for them to accept a downgrade to 27' (not likely done for a boat purchased for $400). While the town where it was registered accepted copies of its old sales brochures and other informal proof that the builder never built a 28footer. It wasn't the question of costs in my case but of the swing room assignment as it allowed me to get a spot closer to shore in our mooring field.

What does the HIN say?
I see that a lot my Venture McGregor was called a McGregor 25 even though it was 24.5
Old 15-12-2014, 19:46   #82

M,.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smitty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 05:42   #83

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post

I have to agree with you that 30-40K will buy a lot of boat today if you are not in any hurry and don't mind traveling some miles in the process of searching. I have seen some nice Pacific Seacraft Orion 27's in that range that were just not equiped as nicely, but the boats were in good shape otherwise, and that is a boat you can circumnavigate on.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 13:46   #84

Boat: Catalina 27

I have a cat 27.
Sounds like the perfect fit for what you want. Look at older models and you should have no problem finding one for under 10k. The only problem you may have is that there is no shower, at least in mine. I find it pretty roomy for such a small boat. I even hung a 27" flat screen behind where the table folds up by the starboard settee and my PS3 fits nicely right under it
Soldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, sail, sailboat