Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 05:40   #31

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: WHAT DOES URGE YOU TO SET SAILS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
WOW what makes me want to leave the land ,,

EASY !

People ,,, I love being alone in the midle of no were !

after 10 minuets i get the urge to throw the ropes and get back out there ,,

Outthere = anywhere !

No phones
No Internet
No people

I LOVE IT .
Along those same lines, when I am at sea, away from life's nagging urgencies, the only people that can interact with me are those that have a similar set of skills, proclivities and passions which by simple definition usually makes them folks I enjoy spending time with.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 05:52   #32

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, what are you doing on CF then? Internet and people... that's the crux of CF!

Jim
Busted!

I was at two different dinner parties recently. One was with a group of town residents, all with interesting lives, occupations, viewpoints. The other was a much smaller group of sailors, all but me with extensive cruising experience. The first gathering was entertaining, engaging and fun. The second was captivating. Herein lies the difference for me in checking in to CF regularly vs all other use of the internet. One activity is social or industrial the other is captivating, educational and thought provoking. Nonetheless, even interacting with the fine folks on CF is no substitute for being held in the embrace of wind and sea.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 09:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
I was at two different dinner parties recently. One was with a group of town residents, all with interesting lives, occupations, viewpoints. The other was a much smaller group of sailors, all but me with extensive cruising experience. The first gathering was entertaining, engaging and fun. The second was captivating.
Great story! Many of us can relate.

I attended funeral recently and heard the cliche "a life well lived". The woman who passed away was certainly kind and generous, bringing sunshine into lives. However, I couldn't stop thinking one thought about this cheerful landlubber: "had she only known..."
Maybe cruising isn't for everyone, but I suspect that some plainly just didn't KNOW what wonders were out there to behold.

Late last century I worked on a TV ad for Virgin Airlines that oddly taught me a lesson...

If your life flashes before your eyes, make sure you've got plenty to watch!

cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 20:01   #34

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

love all your posts..... never have been into the ocean in my dreamed but possible 37-40' full keel sloop.... have sailed on dinghies as a teenager.... would like to reconnect as solo sailor at 74 (yes 74..... able and kicking)..... every time I dream off my possible passage it's always the worst of some North Atlantic storm with broaching condition..

Is it a premonition or what?
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 05:18   #35

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Forget people Living on the hook (are they sailors, really?) and those busy at their second rtw route.

As far as you stay in an optimal place (climate, costs, mooring safety,..-wise) what does really urge you and convince to set sails for another ground (sailing area) as you know in advance that you'll be rather ... Worse OFF ?

IS it a comfort v Adventure trade off ? Anything else?

Thanks (l have many a doubts, ..)
What defines “a sailor” I think it’s difficult too say what it takes too be ranked as a sailor! There are many kinds of sailors over the world, there is certainly the trans-oceanic sailor who has circumnavigated and spent countless years at sea. Not many of us get that title, there are “coastal sailors who have ranged coast to coast along the continents, I was one of those, and there are local sailors who rarely leave there home waters. One thing I think certain is that that we all love the sea, the challenges and the adventure of finding new and interesting places and especially the friendships we make along the way!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 05:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Forget people Living on the hook (are they sailors, really?) and those busy at their second rtw route.

As far as you stay in an optimal place (climate, costs, mooring safety,..-wise) what does really urge you and convince to set sails for another ground (sailing area) as you know in advance that you'll be rather ... Worse OFF ?

IS it a comfort v Adventure trade off ? Anything else?

Thanks (l have many a doubts, ..)
Seeing the wind in a full white sail makes me feel calm.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
What defines “a sailor” I think it’s difficult too say what it takes too be ranked as a sailor! There are many kinds of sailors over the world, there is certainly the trans-oceanic sailor who has circumnavigated and spent countless years at sea. Not many of us get that title, there are “coastal sailors who have ranged coast to coast along the continents, I was one of those, and there are local sailors who rarely leave there home waters. One thing I think certain is that that we all love the sea, the challenges and the adventure of finding new and interesting places and especially the friendships we make along the way!
This is an interesting point.
Sailors are not all the same.

Recently one very late afternoon I was racing near the California shore, hiked out hip-to-hip with 6 other crew on an upwind leg in 12 knots, enjoying the gentle ride. It was a 36' racer/cruiser mono, which was waaaay too skinny to properly cruise IMO.

There was something mystical about the horizon that day in the fading light, beckoning even. This soggy-shoe crew's collective gaze was quietly fixed on that curiously colorful line where sea and sky meet. Speaking very softly (so that our steering-challenged skipper didn't yell at us again to be quiet so he could concentrate), my words were tinged with a smile:
"You know... we could just keep going. Tahiti is over there."
I pointed with a slight up-nod of the chin.

The guy to my right grinned at the fanciful suggestion, his body bent under the upper lifeline, belly hugging the lower. "Let's go. We can stop along the way in a noisy bar in Avalon." At the time, I didn't get the song reference, but it felt like I was definitely in the presence of a like-minded adventurer.

The guy to my left scowled. "Nooo WAY. I need a shower and my own bed, not a 3 week camping trip. I'll fly there."

My surprise was a little naive, i guess. I assumed the racing crew onboard was just like me- sailing any way I could, until land-based issues (like work) are sorted enough to go cruising.

I learned that that it is not EVERY sailor that longs for the horizon. That's okay. Those of us that do share a trait that is hard to describe. I hear the word "romantic" to describe our ilk. Hmmm. That just doesn't seem to fit for me, in the sentimentalist, idealist sense. I guess I don't have a good single word for this draw of the horizon.
"Cruiser" is a fair label, I suppose.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails