Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 12:11   #16

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49
Re: What do you plug in? AC and DC...

One thing that annoys me is having cords run everywhere - cords to plug in the computer, the dvd/blu ray, the phones, the ipads - you get the picture. So if I could design where all my outlets were (either AC or DC), I would try to have the outlet placed so that the cord would be hidden for the most part - not sure that makes sense, but it drives me crazy! Constantly trying to tuck them behind cushions or into cupboards.

I would also have DC USB outlets in the sleeping cabins. Guests can't understand why they plug their phones into electric outlets overnight and they're not charged in the morning (because we don't leave the inverter on all night since we're 99% at anchor).
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:35   #17

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

We have nothing, at all, that plugs into a DC outlet. Everything that uses DC is hardwired.

We have at least one AC outlet in every cabin and head. AC and USB outlets at the nav station. Three AC outlets in the galley.

AC power comes from inverter or generator.

Power tools, microwave, other small kitchen appliances, laptops, all plug into AC.

If we are on shore power we are a lot more profligate with power use, but we are a pretty electrically intensive boat even underway. About 4kW-hrs/day all told. When we sailed a 40 foot boat we used about 1.5kW-hrs/day.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 14:02   #18

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Power tools, microwave, other small kitchen appliances, laptops, all plug into AC.
Yes, if I lived on board full-time I would need a laptop plugged into mains. Our microwave is as good as “hardwired” (dedicated outlet on own breaker) and we have no other electric kitchen appliances.

All my boat’s power tools are 18v battery driven with one exception - the inimitable Dremel tools. So I need mains for the 18v battery charger. Once again if I lived aboard, my small TIG welder would go on the mains list but by far the biggest dilemma with that is storing even a small argon bottle (and getting one filled).
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 14:12   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

By now you should be seeing a theme: USB outlets everywhere.

One point: look at the maximum Amp capacity of the USB outlets. Modern phones want 3A or more EACH. Not 3,4 or 6A total across multiple outlets. The price goes up a bit when you get into the higher capacities, but you'll be glad you did.

There are also "smart" USB ports which claim to signal the device to pull it's maximum current, but those standards change over time, and between manufacturers, so be sure it'll recognize your specific devices. I've had good luck with "dumb" outlets and good OEM cables. A cheap charging cable will really slow down charging time.

Anyone GenX or younger is required to show up at your boat with a dead battery in their cell phone. I have no idea why; it must be in their instruction manual. They'll probably forget their charger and cord, too, so have some spare cords handy.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 22:54   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
We are planning our electrical layout and trying to figure out were to stick both DC (and what style) and AC outlets on the boat. Would love to hear what your practical experience is with outlets you use all the time, which you don't, and where you wish you had more!

Thanks, guys! Your feedback helps more than you know!!!
230V
Galley for electric kettle and coffee maker (3 outlets)
Floor of saloon for vacuum cleaner (2-3 outlets)
Cabins for hairdryers, phone chargers etc, plus vacuum cleaner (1-2 outlets each cabin)
Saloon upper levels for chargers (2-3 outlets)
Lazarette for power tool chargers, and power tools

12V
Nav area for charging
Lazarette for charging and air pump for tender
Focsle for air pump for tender (also the 12V supply up there for anchor washdown)
Spare cabin for multi-charging station (cameras, phones, drone etc)

As to connectors:
230V - what you will use, or where you will go/end up selling the boat
12V - standard 12V 'lighter' outlets mostly, as everything is oriented to these. Exception would be perhaps the air pump. I find the lighter connectors are OK as long as you use decent ones. Otherwise a small Anderson connector.
And on that, consider Anderson connectors close to your batteries, for each battery, or bank. with the battery isolated, it is very convenient to then be able to plug a smart charger in for equalisation charge of each battery (I normally do this at the beginning and end of the season). So one each for engine, generator, service banks (split into two), and bow thruster.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 07:34   #21

Boat: Nauticat38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
double usb charge points in all cabins (3) and usb x4 at nav station
4 x AC in main saloon , 1 in each cabin and 1 at nav station
Waterproof USB X2 at pedestal
You haven't found the need for AC anywhere else? I'm leaning this way, but worth the ask.
Old 20-04-2020, 07:41   #22

Boat: Nauticat38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
By now you should be seeing a theme: USB outlets everywhere.

One point: look at the maximum Amp capacity of the USB outlets. Modern phones want 3A or more EACH. Not 3,4 or 6A total across multiple outlets. The price goes up a bit when you get into the higher capacities, but you'll be glad you did.

There are also "smart" USB ports which claim to signal the device to pull it's maximum current, but those standards change over time, and between manufacturers, so be sure it'll recognize your specific devices. I've had good luck with "dumb" outlets and good OEM cables. A cheap charging cable will really slow down charging time.

Anyone GenX or younger is required to show up at your boat with a dead battery in their cell phone. I have no idea why; it must be in their instruction manual. They'll probably forget their charger and cord, too, so have some spare cords handy.
Finding these things that look aesthetically pleasing is the problem. I've found the new high amp chargers but the wife calls them too ugly and picks options with yesterday's technology...
Old 23-04-2020, 13:31   #23

Boat: Halmatic 30

I am UK based so AC supply is 230v. This boat had spent its' life on a swinging mooring prior to me buying it, so since I am liveaboard, the first thing I needed to install was AC electrics. I kept the install simple by having a twin outlet near the galley for electric kettle and also a fan heater gets used from time to time. I have another twin outlet around mid-ships beside one of the saloon settees and that gets used mainly for laptop charging. I also have a small mains powered vacuum cleaner, and battery charging is taken care of by a 30 amp unit that lives near to the AC consumer unit.

DC wise, the majority of stuff is hard wired. On the domestic side it's mainly lighting, but also a diesel fired blown air heater. USB sockets at the chart table and also under the companionway, which is quite handy when out in the cockpit and needing a phone or tablet charged.

The next project is to add some solar to be more self sufficient when out at anchor (whenever sailing is allowed that is!)
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
We are planning our electrical layout and trying to figure out were to stick both DC (and what style) and AC outlets on the boat. Would love to hear what your practical experience is with outlets you use all the time, which you don't, and where you wish you had more!

Thanks, guys! Your feedback helps more than you know!!!
Hard to give advice . All boat and there owners are different

In general I find ac outlets located in the forepeak and aft peak are often used.... deck work , inflating tenders ...

An Engine room ac outlet is also often used .
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:23   #25

One thing I did with AC outlets was to put them near (12") floor level, as well as just under the deckhead for cords going out skylights. So cords were not running from floor up and out a skylight.

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:50   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Our boat is small (26 ft) and so we only have 12 v sockets (cigarette style) distributed.

AC we simply place the inverter as needed.

I set it up this way to make sure anything can be plugged in anywhere. Mind again our sheep is wee.

Mind the varied AC sockets round the planet. We met at least 5 different styles. Wobbly converters available anywhere from Chinese stores at 50p a piece.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 15:16   #27

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have two AC circuits a Port and a Starboard, probably 10 outlets in all, maybe more. Why not they just daisy chain and are very easy to install.
Anything DC that draws much amperage is wired direct, on its own circuit, Engel for example.
Our CPAP’s and USB chargers are run off of cigarette lighter plugs, they can run anything, where a USB plug is specific, and when they go bad you have to remove them and wire in a new one etc, when the USB charger goes bad if it’s plugged into a cigarette lighter, just unplug it and plug in a new one, carry spares, cause they do go bad.

I have tried many different USB chargers and this is the best I have tried, plus it’s a baby inverter so you can run your laptop or other small AC device without using the big inverter if you choose to
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That’s pretty sweet. How is the RFI, is it a switching power supply? Does it use any power just beating plugged in with nothing into it?
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug