There seem to be some trends floating to the surface as we've been shopping
- Pocket coils, regular inner springs, and the Froli system seem to be about the same purposes (depth, suspension, under ventilation) with benefits ranging from lateral or transmitted movement control at one end to less hassle (as in making the bed
up, accessing storage
- Some makers offer optional hinges for easier access to under storage
, and likely for easier movement if the mattress needs to be temporarily schlepped out of the way for whatever reason
- Foam varies. Latex seems to be advertised as cooler than memory or other foams. And then there's degree of firmess, so even within a category (e.g., latex) there might be firm, medium, and limp
- Some offer cooler technology - e.g, and upper layer of Tencel or bamboo fabric
- Adding all the "best" (for you) features into one mattress can cause costs to soar.
And then there are individual preferences, where some sleep hot, some sleep cool, and some are just frugal... so many opinions are based on that kind of individual preference.