Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 06:14   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What do you guys use for mattress

We have tried a memory foam topper available at Walmart, and ordered a real Latex topper from Amazon.
I say real as there is apparently fake or simulated or whatever name you want to call fake latex out there too, so be sure your buying the real thing.
Real Latex is heavy, and ours was full of holes, it was more expensive than the memory foam but didn’t make you hot and slept better.
However it moved around and was more trouble than it was worth.

From a comfort perspective the stock foam mattress sitting on top of a Froli, and with the Latex topper was actually very comfortable, didn’t have moisture issues, but was a real pain to make the bed, access under it etc.
We blew the money based on we would be spending one third of our lives for the next hopefully several years on it.

It depends I guess on what your priorities are as to whether it’s worth it or not.

We tried getting a local mattress store having one made for a lot less money. But they lost the pattern etc.
Our mattress’s shape was too complex for us to DIY, it’s a Pullman berth and the hull side is curved and also angled to match the hull’s shape
If you lose the angle, you lose at least 6” of width.

Our mattress is 9” thick, and if you could get a single Latex foam one thick enough, I think that is what I’d try to do a DIY with.

You can use an electric kitchen knife to do a decent job of cutting foam, and there are foam knives available, but I tried several knives, and nothing worked better than the electric carving knife. Cutting foam is difficult as it snags the knife and stretches, so you have to have an electric knife and go real slow.
I even tried a hacksaw blade
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:22   #62
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: What do you guys use for mattress

a good memory foam mattress needs a firm solid support base
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53   #63

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

When we bought our 8” latex mattress at Portland Mattress (Maine), boatmattress.com, we bought this mattress pad and two matching pillows. I love the cool side of the pillow and these have it on both sides! (don’t ask me why it’s upside down here when it shows rightside up in photo gallery )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00960C91-5A13-4BB6-B614-321C75CD8D90.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	197413  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:08   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
a good memory foam mattress needs a firm solid support base

So no Froli?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:47   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So no Froli?
Up to you, but if you were to go buy a memory foam mattress set for the house the box "spring" is nothing more than a raised platform with a solid top and cloth covering. But of course that's for a "real" 12" mattress.

What good is having a memory foam "fit your body" mattress if it's just going to sag due to the base it's on?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:28   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What do you guys use for mattress

I know our house Tempurpedic sat on a hard box.
However it was hot in warmer months, I mean turn the AC way down hot, and in Winter the thing was hard as a rock for a long time until it warmed up, and on an unheated boat, I don’t think it would soften up.

On our foam boat mattress we had moisture issues, the moisture would form interestingly under the mattress. A Froli eliminates this moisture problem.
I think with foam on a boat, you have to have air circulation

Our current inner spring mattress has no moisture issues, I assume this is because there is air movement in the springs, although our mattress is really I guess a hybrid inner spring as it has a couple different layers of different density Latex foam on top of the springs.

I did ask about moisture issues before I bought it and was told there would be none, and there isn’t.

Best mattress I have ever slept on was our old full motion waterbed, but perhaps that was because I was much younger then too and didn’t have the aches and pains I do now?
Old 07-08-2019, 18:19   #67

Last year we upgraded from old 4" foam to an inexpensive IKEA Meistervik foam mattress. My back is so much happier. We are lucky that our berth is the width of a full mattress, just a bit longer. Someday we may do something fancier than the pool noodle that takes up the extra space under our pillows. We thought we'd have to cut the mattress in half to access the storage under the berth, but we've found that it folds out of the way easily and stays put. So nice not to have a gap between cushions in the middle of our bed.

In the past we have had issues with dampness under our mattress. This year we found something like these pool deck tiles for a song at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. So far, so good.
Winter River is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 13:05   #68

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

New Seawind came with very nice upholstered mattresses, but a bit too firm. We put 3 inch Viscosoft toppers on them thst made them perfect. Gel, so disperse heat. Usednthese for three months in Florida and Bahamas and never had that hot sensation like the standard memory foam.

https://www.amazon.com/ViscoSoft-Mem...45264594&psc=1
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38   #69

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava

We bought a custom sized mattress from Portland Boat Mattress. Seamed down center line for easier making and getting into forward cabin. Also has vinyl bottom for moisture protection. Very satisfied. They send you a template kit and will remake the mattress even if you mess it up.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47   #70

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
We bought a custom sized mattress from Portland Boat Mattress. Seamed down center line for easier making and getting into forward cabin. Also has vinyl bottom for moisture protection. Very satisfied. They send you a template kit and will remake the mattress even if you mess it up.
We did the same with Handmade Mattress Company. The template exercise was straight forward. Our bunk is asymmetric because of cabinetry and HMC got it perfect. We are on land for a couple of months while our boat is in hurricane storage - I miss my Latex mattress!

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:11   #71
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Cannot find it but there was a post here a year or so ago by someone who knew quite a bit about the mattresses you see in all of the "sleep / mattress" stores. If I recall there were three parts to the mattress; three layers of different foams. The total amount was very reasonable and the results very good. Definitely a DIY project with good results.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:20   #72

We use a topper for the bottom and then place the sleep-by-number mattress on top. Works wonders for me and my husband. The sleep-by-number mattress is light enough for us to take off when necessary for issues with the holding and gas tanks. The mattress size is RV Queen. I think they have a different name for it ... short Queen.
Gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:12   #73

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Doug View Post
Just as important as the mattress check into the FROLI system, it elevates your mattress and keeps the whole bunk area much fresher and happy.
Double that here. Bought the system years ago and am very pleased. No more bones poking through to the hard bottom. Makes sleeping in the tropics a lot cooler too.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:06   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
For the fuller figure...
[edited for brevity]
...The beds are not standard size.
re:
"...fuller..."

2011, we switched to Paleo. I dropped 30# in thirty day; it was all edema, fluid from inflammation from rubbish in our diet such as grains and dairy.

re:
mattresses

Natch, our bedding needs changed. With my new 155# at 5'10", we went to American Mattress, 4075 west 11th, Eugene, Oregon, fUSA for custom mattresses.

They received our specifications at 10am, and our mattresses were ready by lunch.

We went with a pair of extra-soft side-by-side Twin XL mattresses on power bases. Slightly raise the knees, a tilt to the upper-back, and we achieve nearly 'zero gravity'.

As a further additional added benefit, the bases are screen, so air circulation reduces moisture and mold.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 13:31   #75

We bought custom mattresses from making mattresses.
Ended up cheaper then foam and very comfortable.
Lancef is offline   Reply With Quote