Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 18:09   #46

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: What do you guys use for mattress

On the bottom, we have froli springs just under 2Ē tall, in the middle, 4Ē v-birth cushions, On the top, 3Ē of cooling top memory foam. So we have a bit over 8 inches of comfort. I go in at 195 pounds, my better half is 125 pounds, and so far the combination works quite well.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:27   #47

Boat: PDQ 44i

Queen-sized "Select Comfort." It is lightweight, waterproof, and comfortable.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 22:45   #48

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Re: Has anyone have a Flexima mattress if what is your experience?anyone

I'm considering changing to a Flexima mattress, my berths are V in shape. Has anyone had experience with the the Flexima brand of mattress?

They have a white plastic leaf spring inserts in the middle of the 150 mm foam which seems like an ordinary green color with a topping overlay? They are expensive as 4 berths 2 x single V-shaped 2 x V-shaped pipe berth size AUD $ 3800 quote, I'm supplying the outside overs. Can you get a good nights, I would like to know and they worth the expense?

I'm Looking for Mattress for a good nights sleep!
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:15   #49

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

I love my Froli system - comfortable and allows air circulation under the mattress. For those who have not seen the Froli please see below (starts 30 seconds in).

Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:56   #50

Six-inch foam
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What do you guys use for mattress

https://www.boatbeds.com

Not cheap, but good stuff often isnít. Your spending 1/3 of your life on a mattress, maybe get a good one?
The fit is perfect, I went to Ft Lauderdale and had them measure it, cause if it wasnít perfect I wanted it to be their fault, not mine, but itís perfect. Besides if I was spending that kind of money I wanted to see and lay on each different model so that I could pick what I wanted, actually what she wanted of course They do things like leave an inch of gap on the edges that goes against the hull for room for sheets etc. plus if there is an angle on the edge that goes against the hull, they match that angle. Itís not a vertical mattress edge, the edge matches the hull angle.
You can DIY something of course, but unlikely to be as good as a high quality inner spring mattress.

Before this we had the factory foam mattress, which was horrible, any bone bottomed out and your shoulders and hips were sore in the morning. A Froli helped a lot, a memory foam topper made it a lot better, but between the Froli and the topper changing sheets or getting under the mattress for storage was a PIA.
The handcrafted mattress we have has a hinge in the middle so folding it up to get to storage and or changing sheets is very easy, and you cannot tell the hinge is there when sleeping on it.

Of course if you have a standard size walk around mattress, just buy a good regular bed mattress.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 21:15   #52

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
For the fuller figure :-)
You know the only solution to that, Dave. Don't eat anything fatty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
We have the regulation 4" foam mattress and it is really uncomfortable, any bone that sticks out aches enough through the night to keep us both awake. I was thinking of a 2" medium density underlay but maybe there is something better ?
I'll start with the basics (A. foam ratings), with second a possible diagnosis (B. Diagnosis), and third a remedy (C. Remedy).

A. Foam Ratings

1. All foam deteriorates with time.

2. Foam rubber is rated with two descriptors:

a. the density of the foam (how many kilograms of "rubber" are in one cubic metre of the foam); and

b. how many newtons of force (1 N = 1 kg.f = 1 kg * g, where g = 9.8) are needed to squash the foam to a width of 40% (so if your foam mattress starts off 100 mm thick, it's the force needed to squash it to only 40 mm thick).

You likely know your own body mass. And it seems from your own admission you are already compressing your 100 mm foam mattress so you're compressing the mattress to 40% or less.

Note that 1 and 2 are related. For example, a new low density foam might start off needing 100 N (about 10 kg.f) to compress it from 100 mm to 40 mm. But two years later, that low density foam likely only needs 10 N (about 1 kg.f) to compress it to 40 mm.

Higher density foams (e.g. 35 kg/m3), foams with less gas and more rubber molecules, take longer to deteriorate. So a 35 kg/m3 foam that started as as a 100N foam might in two years deteriorate to needing 80 M for the same compression.

B. Diagnosis

Manufacturers of boats want to make a profit in the capitalist system. Some parts of a boat cannot be compromised much. Other parts, such as furnishings and anchors, can. So manufacturers often supply boats with anchors that the manufacturer buys in bulk after negotiating a deal with an anchor supplier. No surprise that such anchors are adequate, but not the best on the market. Same goes for mattress and cabin furnishings. A boat manufacturer has a choice between supplying a heavy foam or a light one. Which one do the choose?

Time ages foam and people. No foam survives the attacks of oxygen and use. So foam mattresses need be replaced.

C. Remedies.

Go see a foam manufacturer or a foam retailer. You can buy blocks of foam, cut them with an electric knife, or get a foam retailer or upholsterer to do it for you.

My suggestions:

1. Maintain a healthy BMI. You should have a body mass about the same when you were age 20. If not: don't eat anything fatty. (it's up to you where you insert the missing comma, but there is a comma missing between the d and the y).

2. Accept nothing less than a hard green foam (27/180) or a premium hard blue foam (35/200). It's up to you which of those you choose or whether you go for something in between (29/200). Think about what you want to spend the next two years sleeping on.

3. Suppliers

(a) If you are happy driving down to Nerang, consider Century Foam and Rubber. See: https://foamandrubber.com.au/product...er-sheet-size/

(b) If you prefer driving to Geebung/Virginia, consider Dyman Foams. See: Online Foam Price Calculator, 24 Different Grades of Foam Brisbane

Then get a brown paper bag. Put in the bag 50% of the money you saved by going to either 3a or 3b and not chasing after spring mattresses or Froli systems etc. Then mail (or hand deliver) the brown paper bag to me.
Old 05-08-2019, 21:41   #53

We had a futon that was foam and cotton, not good. Had no way to get moisture out so it became heavy and hard so we did some research.

Air circulation is really important, this stuff is made in Germany and is like a thin box spring and has a nice cush to it. It is used on a lot of vehicle roof tents. On top of this we have a polyester foam mattress and it is excellent. My original thought was to get an IKEA latex mattress and cut to size as described earlier but the poly mattress is surprising good and much lighter.

https://shop.autohome-official.com/e...materasso.html
Lemsteraak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:35   #54

Boat: Saga 35

a mattress
MoondanceSaga35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:51   #55

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
https://www.boatbeds.com

Not cheap, but good stuff often isnít. Your spending 1/3 of your life on a mattress, maybe get a good one?

Which model did you get? We were looking at a System 5, but the quote was an arm, a leg, a first-born, and a good hunting dog...

-Chris
Old 06-08-2019, 05:53   #56

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We had a memory foam topper on a well used 16 year old innerspring mattress. I hated it. We replaced it with a 6" Dunlop Latex mattress by Handcraft Mattress. I love it, best upgrade yet. We did the measurements of our v-berth, had two calls with them to discuss measurements and manufacturing, and it fit perfectly - $1,390 plus $270 shipping.

Our old memory foam topper went to a fellow cruiser and she was very happy with it. To each their own.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 18:01   #57

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Which model did you get? We were looking at a System 5, but the quote was an arm, a leg, a first-born, and a good hunting dog...

-Chris
Yeah, the dog was the deal breaker.
Old 06-08-2019, 18:11   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What do you guys use for mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris

We went with the system 5.
However itís a little firm for me. I either got used to it, or it broke in some as itís better now. You can kneel on your knees and it wonít bottom out either, we got the thicker one.
Yes, itís very expensive, but ought to last a long time and I had saved up for such expenses before Retirement, but now would be less likely to spend the $$.
However we found someone that if you send them King sized sheets will cut them to fit Island Packets, I believe she did them for the factory and has all the patterns.
We didnít get the sheets from the same place as the mattress, they do sheets etc., but at a high price.
Their bread and butter is the rather large Yachts you see in Ft Lauderdale, who donít care what things cost, literally.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55   #59

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yeah, the dog was the deal breaker.
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We went with the system 5.
Woof! Even their "boat show" prices are high enough to scare us off. The design looks great, though. And I'm attracted to the "Cool Touch" layer because I usually sleep hot.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2019, 05:58   #60

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

For those that sleep on the warm side an option could be that you can purchase memory foam toppers and mattress with a cooling layer on the top, which one can cut to shape to suit a V-birth or other boat berth shapes, and the prices are quite competitive. That is what we did for our V-birth, and it has worked out well for both of us. Year two and holding up nicely.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote