Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 08:39   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

I can't help but wonder what the exit strategy is for many full time sailers.

Do you plan to sail until you can't?

Once you can't sail anymore what will you do? Social Security checks?

All you need is money!

This is what I'm thinking about before I start my full time sailing life at age 55, where will I go once I can't do this anymore?
Mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 08:44   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 56
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Sail model boats in a pond or the tub...whatever it takes!
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 08:48   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacod View Post
Sail model boats in a pond or the tub...whatever it takes!
You can't live on a model boat.
Mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 10:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 8,234
Images: 1
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

I still could sail, however; my my wife lost the physical capability to be safe on deck and to move easily through the companionway or on and off the boat. Next month we will have been married fifty years and forty-five of those years we were liveaboard cruisers on our sailboats.

Sure, I miss our life aboard and sailing, but the personal motivation that causes one to take on projects and adventures is not so specific that it would stifle someone's activity if they were no longer on the water.

I bicycle often and roller skate almost every day. I'm playing clarinet in a 55 piece concert band and working daily to improve my skills. We're taking a break from travel during this pandemic, but we've were spending a few months of each year at world wide travel.

We bought our first furniture after selling our last boat and moving into a small apartment. We never lived in a home ashore as adults, so this is an adventure too. Our 1,300 square feet of living space is HUGE! My wife is also enjoying new adventures with her Alinker walking device.

I know there are people on Earth that suffer trying to maintain food, shelter and basic needs, but missing sailing should not limit a person's joy. I think that beyond gaining the basic needs for life, the achievement remaining is a matter of choice. We are constantly in pursuit of joy!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 10:45   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I still could sail, however; my my wife lost the physical capability to be safe on deck and to move easily through the companionway or on and off the boat. Next month we will have been married fifty years and forty-five of those years we were liveaboard cruisers on our sailboats.

Sure, I miss our life aboard and sailing, but the personal motivation that causes one to take on projects and adventures is not so specific that it would stifle someone's activity if they were no longer on the water.

I bicycle often and roller skate almost every day. I'm playing clarinet in a 55 piece concert band and working daily to improve my skills. We're taking a break from travel during this pandemic, but we've were spending a few months of each year at world wide travel.

We bought our first furniture after selling our last boat and moving into a small apartment. We never lived in a home ashore as adults, so this is an adventure too. Our 1,300 square feet of living space is HUGE! My wife is also enjoying new adventures with her Alinker walking device.

I know there are people on Earth that suffer trying to maintain food, shelter and basic needs, but missing sailing should not limit a person's joy. I think that beyond gaining the basic needs for life, the achievement remaining is a matter of choice. We are constantly in pursuit of joy!
Thanks for your reply. You sound like an older gentlemen? You have certainly lived an envious life.

I've been working my tail off in the corporate world for nearly 45 years and now 51 years old. I am done! But my wife is much younger and just starting her career and doesn't want to go with me.

My biggest hesitation is getting older and not being able to sail anymore. I just assume I would do similar you and find a small place to live out the rest of my life. I have this idea of sailing to Vietnam and ending our journey there.
Mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:22   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,028
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

IMHO anyone who plans to sell their worldly possessions and cast lines needs to have an exit plan. There are only two inevitable outcomes:

1) You die while living on the boat
2) You need to move back onto land

One major illness can potentially end the dream, or turn it into a nightmare. If I were planning on selling it all and chasing sunsets (which I am), I would invest a chunk to be used for real estate, or I would actually invest in some real estate.

I'd anticipate mobility issues, so that means either ground floor or an elevator with a single floor residence. You can always rent the property until you're ready to come back. A condo or small house with low real estate taxes and a low HOA fee. A house requires you be responsible building and grounds maintenance, which can be costly if you're an absentee landlord. As an absentee landlord, a property management company to handle the day to day would be best.

Otherwise you risk sailing back and selling the boat and walking away with nothing.

BTW- Social Security checks would be present (provided SS remains solvent) regardless of whether you're on land or sea.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:27   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 4,855
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikentosh View Post
Thanks for your reply. You sound like an older gentlemen? You have certainly lived an envious life.

I've been working my tail off in the corporate world for nearly 45 years and now 51 years old. I am done! But my wife is much younger and just starting her career and doesn't want to go with me.

My biggest hesitation is getting older and not being able to sail anymore. I just assume I would do similar you and find a small place to live out the rest of my life. I have this idea of sailing to Vietnam and ending our journey there.
Started at 6 years old in the office? Wow. Lol

To the topic, you just have to move ashore again once you physically can't be on boats anymore. Everyone does at some point, unless you get a dock for the last part of your life.

Just more changes to roll with, exactly as Hudson Force mentions. If you have food, water and shelter, you'll be ok. Enjoyment can be had from any style of life. Happiness comes from within.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:32   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Posts: 378
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

buy a car? Seriously though, we all get different pleasures from sailing. It is becoming similar to golf... a day on the course is a good one. A day on the water is likewise!
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:44   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
IMHO anyone who plans to sell their worldly possessions and cast lines needs to have an exit plan. There are only two inevitable outcomes:

1) You die while living on the boat
2) You need to move back onto land

One major illness can potentially end the dream, or turn it into a nightmare. If I were planning on selling it all and chasing sunsets (which I am), I would invest a chunk to be used for real estate, or I would actually invest in some real estate.

I'd anticipate mobility issues, so that means either ground floor or an elevator with a single floor residence. You can always rent the property until you're ready to come back. A condo or small house with low real estate taxes and a low HOA fee. A house requires you be responsible building and grounds maintenance, which can be costly if you're an absentee landlord. As an absentee landlord, a property management company to handle the day to day would be best.

Otherwise you risk sailing back and selling the boat and walking away with nothing.

BTW- Social Security checks would be present (provided SS remains solvent) regardless of whether you're on land or sea.
I like that plan. Buy a condo now and rent it out. It would be comforting knowing there is a lifeboat waiting when the end is near. I have two houses right now but I would not rent them when I am not here since I can't keep tabs on them. All I need to do now is convince my wife to do this
Mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:47   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Started at 6 years old in the office? Wow. Lol

To the topic, you just have to move ashore again once you physically can't be on boats anymore. Everyone does at some point, unless you get a dock for the last part of your life.

Just more changes to roll with, exactly as Hudson Force mentions. If you have food, water and shelter, you'll be ok. Enjoyment can be had from any style of life. Happiness comes from within.
Nah, I started working when i was about 13 years old on a ranch. Never stopped. I think buying a condo before I leave and renting it out is the best option then I have something to come back to and not worry about buying it later at a higher price.
Mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:52   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Boat: Bristol 27 #335
Posts: 7,326
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

For many, sailing (as in cruising) gets old pretty fast (made 5 years) unless you just like the slow lifestyle and doing boat and boat systems maintenance (and over doing it)

If you race and are highly competitve, your interest in sailing may last longer.

Point is there's lots to do when you aren't sailing.

Workouts, long runs and long bike (as in cyling) rides. Raise dogs. Fix up an old house or an old car, plan a garden .....

Then there's day sailing and weekend cruising.

Learn Linux and start playing around with a Raspberry Pi Computer at home and/or on the boat. Or build your own PC with a Linux OS.

Or build a powerful PC and become a Gamer.

When sailing or when on a boat a lot you are limited in what you can do especially if you are sailing well offshore.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 12:15   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
For many, sailing (as in cruising) gets old pretty fast (made 5 years) unless you just like the slow lifestyle and doing boat and boat systems maintenance (and over doing it)

If you race and are highly competitve, your interest in sailing may last longer.

Point is there's lots to do when you aren't sailing.

Workouts, long runs and long bike (as in cyling) rides. Raise dogs. Fix up an old house or an old car, plan a garden .....

Then there's day sailing and weekend cruising.

Learn Linux and start playing around with a Raspberry Pi Computer at home and/or on the boat. Or build your own PC with a Linux OS.

Or build a powerful PC and become a Gamer.

When sailing or when on a boat a lot you are limited in what you can do especially if you are sailing well offshore.
I've been moving at rocket speed too long. I'm looking forward to doing NOTHING!! At least a year of doing absolutely nothing. I'd be happy to just staring out into the abyss for a while.
Mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 12:28   #13
cdy
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

My finca in the mountains in a small town outside Medellin Colombia - ride the moto - take care of the animals teach English at local school and drink aguardiente with the family and amigos.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 13:10   #14
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 17,882
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Stare fixedly up at the inside of your coffin lid...

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, lying Port Cygnet once again.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 13:16   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Boat: Hylas 54
Posts: 202
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

It seems you are glossing over a major barrier: your wife does not want to sail full time until one or both of you cannot. My partner and I quit corporate race at 50, and he was reluctant to take off on a boat, so we compromised and decided to sail for 5-6 months and stay in our house for the northern summers, taking the late fall October, November December to travel before heading back to the boat. Works really well. Neither of us would ever want to be full-time cruisers, although there are many people who love it!. And we have a house that we can fall back on if for some reason we cannot or do not want to sail. I would carefully consider whether you really want to be a full time cruiser, and carefully and thoroughly discuss this with your wife. And also, if you are a corporate go-getter type you will last about two weeks with nothing to do! You will need to channel that energy into something else or you will go crazy...even if its manic engine maintenance, stainless polishing, learning new skills, writing a blog, splicing or organizing charitable activities.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forgot password feature not working anymore... European Cruiser Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 06-02-2017 03:01
Raymarine C80 MFD Won't Read Cards Anymore Sailabel Navigation 0 27-11-2009 20:13
"Ya Can't get parts for it anymore" Chief Engineer Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 05-12-2007 21:00
is Flying the US flag safe anymore? Ram Health, Safety & Related Gear 74 05-06-2006 04:38
No e-mail address verification needed anymore Gisle Forum News & Announcements 0 25-05-2003 21:13

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.