Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 07:06   #76

Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

I sure hope you have sailed all your life so far, because without some previous interest and experience, the chance of you or anyone starting out at 50+ and doing it for more than a year or so, especially WO spouse is vanishingly small.

Not to say it can’t be done, but this particular trail is full of epic expensive failures. That is a fact.
Garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:26   #77

Thumbs up Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikentosh View Post
I can't help but wonder what the exit strategy is for many full time sailers.

Do you plan to sail until you can't?

Once you can't sail anymore what will you do? Social Security checks?

All you need is money!

This is what I'm thinking about before I start my full time sailing life at age 55, where will I go once I can't do this anymore?
I guess it depends on what "can't" means for you. I'm going to be 80 this fall, and the folks I've raced against and cruised with put their boat on the market after I helped them sail it from Mexico 4 years ago. The likelihood that I'll get a ride with a racing program is slim to none, despite having a pretty good sailing resume.

So I volunteered as RC and protest committee with the local (inland) yacht club. Then I went back to my college sailing club (I live in the same city as the university), applied to be a volunteer instructor. Even though I was a former instructor and vice commodore, I took a lengthy test, sat through four interviews ... and was taken aboard. Then I had to prove that I could handle the club's power boats and at least three levels of their boats (risk management has really taken over).

I have elected to teach beginners, as I did when I last taught there in 1977. I teach groups of five, go one-on-one in the boat, get my ass wet, and have free access to every boat in the fleet that I take the time to 'qualify' myself in. So do I still get to sail? Bet your life I do!
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:28   #78

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II

After reading six pages of posts I can chime in with my comment which is "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!"

Some folks cruise to the end... Of life, money or capability. Some cruise and then leave because mission complete.

Don't get stuck in a foreign port hoping to recoup your investment by selling your boat for the higher prices you've heard others were getting. Don't get stuck needing help to take that boat back to Homeport and giving the boat away to the crew for their services. Don't be homeless and in need of medical care.

Your mileage will vary! Good luck.
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:32   #79

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

I know there are a lot of jokes about this, but as a lifelong sailor, both racing and cruising, a marine biologist, rescue diver and licensed USCG Captain, it is more important to me to be on the water, not necessarily just sailing. I sold my 39 ft sailboat last year and purchased a nice 40 ft trawler. It is much more amenable to living aboard (the Admiral is much happier) and I can go more places with ease and in comfort than I ever could with my sailboat. AC/heat, enclosed pilothouse for protection from the elements and no more having to scramble up on deck to drop sails. I find I can still race on OPB's when I want, then get all the joys of being on the water with half the work on my own boat.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35   #80

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Getting old is a Bitch.
But...It beats the alternative.

That is not an absolute fact tho I can imagine letting go is tough
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:38   #81

Boat: Fisher 25 motorsailer

I solved this aging-sailor problem by making all four sails (genoa, main, mule, and mizzen) on my restored Fisher 25 motorsailer roller-reefing-furling that can be controlled from my rear cockpit. Except for tying up at my pier, I never need to go up on deck. I am in my 80s and get all sails up, reefed, or furled single-handed in less than two minutes with minimal effort. I plan to sail her (primarily singlehanded) for many more years. Dave Herndon (dhherndon@aol.com).
DHHerndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:43   #82

Boat: Lagoon 40

I think you have been given some great info and advice here. So I won’t repeat it, but will pass on the best advice I was given.

I took a couple of 6 month sabbaticals to try out cruising, and finally quit the corporate rat race at 56. My wife and I are part time cruisers spending about 6 months per year (typically) on the holiday and most weekends or short breaks on the boat when home. If you would like to hear more about our trips and adventures they are detailed on my blog (see link below).......but the advice I will share was given to me in 2014 and I haven’t forgotten it. That was if you are going to spend time sailing do it as early as you can.....don’t wait that extra year it two to save money.....wait for retirement etc. You can plan most things, but you can’t plan your health. So if you are healthy, have planned reasonably, do it now. You won’t regret that decision, but you likely will if you wait. This advice was given to me by a good friend who was also a part time cruiser, but health issues were making it unsafe or uncomfortable for his wife. They reluctantly had to change plans......and much sooner than they had hoped.

We have been fortunate and had many adventures. And have plans for more. We are planning a big one next year and our motivation is that we don’t know just how long we will be able to continue this lifestyle -,so we enjoy it while we can!

Fair winds!
https://midnightsunii.blogspot.com/
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

most people that can't sail anymore is because it's difficult to steer from inside a urn...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59   #84

Maybe being a boat broker. You get to go on many boats of all size and vintage. Meet many like minded people and make money at the same time.
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06   #85

Quote:

All you need is money!

This is what I'm thinking about before I start my full time sailing life at age 55, where will I go once I can't do this anymore?
Wonderful opening question and so honest, whatever our age and experience there is in this forum a lot of wise people that look for other lifestyles due to reckoning what is the most way to enjoy our short “passage” on planet earth.
I reckon you find a group and continue want you want to do,don’t worry there are a lot of us out there th at just GO and the chance will happen
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:16   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqPeg View Post
Maybe being a boat broker. You get to go on many boats of all size and vintage. Meet many like minded people and make money at the same time.
I reckon if we have a little idea about our possible longevity is just to do
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:23   #87

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory Typhoon - Weekender

I was thinking that I might buy a smaller boat in the $10k range, dig a hole in my back 40 and plant it in the ground. Add a dock and go sailing anytime.
Christhebuddist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:45   #88

Wink Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. You sound like an older gentlemen? You have certainly lived an envious life.

I've been working my tail off in the corporate world for nearly 45 years and now 51 years old. I am done! But my wife is much younger and just starting her career and doesn't want to go with me.

My biggest hesitation is getting older and not being able to sail anymore. I just assume I would do similar you and find a small place to live out the rest of my life. I have this idea of sailing to Vietnam and ending our journey there.
I like to understand (completely) what it is I’m reading. You say you’ve been involved in the corporate world for 45 years and you are now 51 years old? Is this correct? You began your career at the age of 6? I’m not trying to be a wise a** but well, you know. If this is correct my next question is what type of business were you in?
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:47   #89

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Quote:

All you need is money!

Keep fit! Eat well. Breathe deeply. Draw from within. And don't worry about it! If you are sailing offshore now full-time, you must have some kind of small income anyway. We waste too much time worrying about the future--"what if this, what if that"--and are not living in and enjoying the moment. Aren't you lucky, to be sailing NOW!!!
Kindest thoughts from a fellow "aging person!"
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:47   #90

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

We had sold everything (except a few "treasures" which were kept in a storage locker) twice. Toward the end of our last voyage (and already had an RV), we purchased property where we wanted to live the rest of our lives. The house was rented out, and we spent a few months a year in our RV, with a "cabana" we built near the water as our "living room".

When the time came we could not sail because of physical limitations, we had a trawler for a few years, then went to trailerable outboard powered cruisers. We have been exploring inland waterways and areas we loved along the Coastal US and Canada. We made trips back to AK and The Canadian PNW. The trailerable boats are well enough outfitted, that we can live aboard for months at a time, but just not do long passages. Some live full time aboard 22 to 27 foot trailerable power boats.

One of the biggest issues as you age are medical requirements, supplemental insurance and finding good doctors.

I will be 84 in a few months--love the water, so I came up with alternatives.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail