Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 20:43   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: what do you do when you can't sail anymore?

On your second last breath as your life flashes before your eyes you'll think "Jeez I should have bought the boat and gone anyway."
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 23:59   #62

When u canít sail anymore? Whenís that, Iím only 75 now? As far as ďexit strategyĒ, this sounds like a corporate term to me. U really want to own a condo in ??? when u find that moving on land (I shudder!) is needed? Why try to plan the future when you ainít the one dealing the cards? Just saying... Evan
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:29   #63

Chartering and long distance sailing we sailed 13,000nms and had a been there done that feeiling, we sold the boat and have not sailed since.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:52   #64

Boat: Lagoon 400

here are three cheap options i have figured out:

easiest: sail until parents pass away and take up inherited house.

bit of money: buy property, actually better buy 2 x land, once ready sell one land that will finance house built on other. Can be pretty cheap, as a boatie maintenance expert can do house diy in no time. You can also sell both properties and buy larger boat.

BEST: really old people i know/knew have in common - never went to doctor. Doctors will make you feel old and useless and sell you bunch of pills, and also give you virus or two. And you will be in grave quick. So, if you do not go to doctor you will never get sick, and can live on boat till last day.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:09   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cobbe View Post
Chartering and long distance sailing we sailed 13,000nms and had a been there done that feeiling, we sold the boat and have not sailed since.
There's a big difference between quitting because you feel that you are through and being forced to quit because of external issues like health or dementia or loss of one's partner or corona virus or meteor strike or...

If you feel that you have done it all then there is no issue with departing the sailing scene. That ain't the case for some of us!

Jim
Old 02-05-2020, 14:33   #66

And besides the good times at sea with a good breeze, sparkling sea and mountains in the distance, there is revisiting the communities and folks you regularly see, like the lady at the coffee shop, and re acquenting with your favorite anchorages and finally it's really nice living on the water even if you don't stray far.
Old 02-05-2020, 15:24   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

This part "we will sail around for awhile and then maybe find a place outside the US that we like, sell the boat and live there".

This will not work. You can't just stop in any place you like and start living there. You are only welcome for a time and while cruisers may get longer entry visas at times (say up to 3 months in many places), once the free visa period is up, you will be asked to move on (=leave).

Otherwise all the nice spots would be full of people 'just living there' which as we know is not the case.

If you want to immigrate and live elsewhere, better skip the cruising part. And settle in 'that' place while you still have things like a fixed US address, a fat bank account and other such likes that immigration officers of 'that' country will consider while issuing, or not, a residence visa for you.

Unless you mean 'nice places' like Puertorico, etc. where I understand US citizens can come and live without limitations.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 15:26   #68

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i think what jim is saying is that he will be sailing until he dies

if you knew jim, you would know that is not a ridiculous statement (although i can see that it is not the answer for everyone)

cheers,
I know Jim.

I've been battling him for years. I think he started boating later in life whereas I have been around the water (the ocean) and boats since age 4 or so

Sailing/boating is great but there are so many other things to do when you are not sailing

Like taking a month or so driving from one coast to another or drive to Alaska and Hike to the magic bus

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 15:42   #69

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
I respect what you are doing, and, having gone back to work once before after retirement I understand some of the challenges! I only address your penultimate comment "I think doing just sailing is too slow for some". I am sure that it is true - for some - but I wouldn't want to leave out there the impression that 'just sailing' is in fact 'just sailing"! In our case it was: Maintenance out the kazoo; a new country to get to know every time we felt the need to move on; languages to learn; foods to enjoy; maintenance again!; friends to meet, cultivate and later reconnect with in different ports; ancient civilization sites to explore; family to visit in exotic locales...you get the idea. I could go on. In other words the sailing is (or can be) a magic carpet that can take you anywhere and expose you to an unending wealth of experiences. Just my opinion, and right now I have way too much time on my hands ~Alan
Nice.

But there are so many other ways to do that than sail on a slow boat.

As far as the maintenance that's what I do so that is samie same

Maybe fly a Cessna 182 to the Islands etc

Plus we old guys don't necessarily need constant companionship ....(said by a manager dealing with 20-40 employees)

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and retire early when I'm 70, but I must be able to do the 7 pull ups I did in 70's and run 3 miles and do 20 pull ups before I cast off.

I may give myself a break though if I can do say 6 pull ups and run 2.5 miles .....

For starters there are several places I want to anchor on the Gulf Coast where I saw cruisers anchored (single boats) when I was in the middle of a long distance race (trapped out) and flying by at maybe 15 knots

I was thinking it might be nice to be on that cruising boat and watching the race rather than racing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 15:43   #70

Sailing until one dies is a great option. But it assumes very decent health up to the time we go.

In fact, maybe 5% of us will be given this privilege. And of the rest of the pack, very few are brave enough to cut their suffering short.

I admire these brave people, much as I do sa from the cowards' bench.

BTW It also assumes a pension check each month (or a stashed pile). If you look at many Western pension systems, you are not free to spend it where you please. Your government loves you to spend, and die, locally!

For me there is no pension, hence no govt will tell me where to spend what I have and how to die or when.

barnakiel
Old 03-05-2020, 02:36   #71

Old folks who traipse continuously around the continent in Australia are called "grey nomads", there are thousands of the beggars cluttering up the highways, camping grounds and caravan parks. There is also a maritime division on boats, many of whom hardly ever leave the marina but still enjoy life afloat. Then there's the work till they die brigade, fairly extensive and still enjoy working. Then there's the rest, just bored, living in the suburbs with the occasional distraction and waiting to die.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:45   #72

Vagabond life does tend to become harder the older you get. Rich Western-style societies will tell the elderly how to die. But in many other countries, an old poor is looked on as someone not worth much attention. You are safer there.

It pisses me off no end when a see a fat policeman coming up and pestering a bunch old hobos camping in a park. As if that young family with their three shrieking kids and their shitty retriever owned the country. The country often built and served by those hobos. I found the park quiet, before the family arrived. I could read a book and had many an interesting conversation with some of the hobos. I do not like the policeman at all.

Luckily, in the marine environment, I have seen only very few cases of a nasty public servant hurting old people in their small boats. I think we boaters are lucky, but I am not sure how much luck we have left, if you happen to cultivate this lifestyle in the US, the EU or Australia.

Maybe time to move on. Find a neat mangrove creek where the toxins of democracy and capitalism have not yet polluted the landscape.

barnakiel
Old 05-05-2020, 05:22   #73

Boat: Leopard 44 catamaran

Unless you’re willing to give-up boating altogether, do what my friend did: get a trawler.

A day on the water...
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:44   #74

I took up flying. The cost is about the same.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:05   #75

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Getting old is a Bitch.
But...It beats the alternative.

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail