Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 18:20   #1

What bank and credit card do you use?

What’s the best bank account and credit card that you use for traveling that won’t charge any International fees for using it??🤔
Haleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 18:44   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: What bank and credit card do you use?

Schwab Bank Debit Card. Reimburses all ATM fees, no foreign exchange fees, Guarantees against all fraud. Capital One Credit Card, no foreign exchange fees.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 19:04   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

There are foreign fee free cards. For the most part they have annual fees of about $100.

Recently i joined a Credit Union and got a Visa card through the. It charges a 1% fee, but has a 2% cash back. So i am just to go that route.
Old 24-02-2020, 20:17   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

+1 for CapitalOne.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 20:43   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Chase Bank United Airlines card. No foreign transaction fee, no annual charge. Has some trip protection and other benefits.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 21:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There are foreign fee free cards. For the most part they have annual fees of about $100.

Recently i joined a Credit Union and got a Visa card through the. It charges a 1% fee, but has a 2% cash back. So i am just to go that route.
If you have decent credit history, you can get one without an annual fee and cash back.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 21:54   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have the CapitalOne Quicksilver card... free, no foreign transaction fees, high end Visa card signature service package and 1.5% cash back

When CapitalOne dropped the foreign transaction fees, they forced others to follow and my American Express Gold card is without transaction fees as well. This card has a yearly fee but I will always keep it as they can really help you out if needed. Amex is one single company worldwide, while Visa and MasterCard are franchises like McDonalds
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 04:19   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you have decent credit history, you can get one without an annual fee and cash back.
I will need to work on m score as it was 833 the other day, so has room for improvement. Guess things changed since i looked for cards, but i don't really want another new one.
Old 25-02-2020, 04:58   #9

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Doesn't the OP first need to state where he lives? Even in the EU one can usually only open a bank account in a country where they hold a physical address.

For those in the UK, the Halifax Clarity credit card is the best in terms of spending abroad. Whilst the best debit card/bank account remains Starling. Neither have any loading, or other foreign exchange fees and both offer the Mastercard interbank exchange rate.

Elsewhere in Europe, the Revolut used as a prepay card is good, but the free ATM withdrawal limits have been declining over the years. Also I'd advise against leaving large sums of money with Revolut. It is backed by Lithuanias deposit guarantee scheme, but if it ever went bust, Lithuania would never be able to pay since Revolut has more deposits than the country's GDP.

https://moneysavinganswers.com/trave...eign-currency/
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 06:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Another Schwab user
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 06:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have the CapitalOne Quicksilver card... free, no foreign transaction fees, high end Visa card signature service package and 1.5% cash back

::

And you get the actual exchange rate!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 06:26   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We use the Chase Marriott Card. It has a fee but you get a free night for it every year that we always use. It has been our best foreign use card.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 06:58   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Would help to know which country the OP is asking about. Just in case it is Canada, the only card I'm aware of now with no foreign transaction fees, and indeed no annual fees, is a VISA from HomeTrust. There used to be other options, but the last time I looked it had whittled down to just a few. And I think this is the only one without a hefty annual fee.
Old 25-02-2020, 08:29   #14

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

I did a search on this a few times over the last couple of years in my planning on moving aboard this coming May. TD Bank was often mentioned as a good bank for travelers since their 2nd tier checking account (min $2500 (US) account balance) offers no foreign transaction fees and rebates on non-TD ATM fees up to a certain amount.

This looked pretty good to us so this past weekend we went to a local TD branch to open an account. We were informed that starting in March that purchases made using the TD debit card would have a 3% fee. ATM withdraws would not have a fee (for now). I don't use debit cards to make purchases so we went ahead and opened an account, but will definitely keep an eye on their fee structure in the future. Our initial cruising grounds are going to be Atlantic Canada and TD has a presence there so for now it's not a bad deal anyway.

Further research showed that Capital One 360 is a great bank account for travelers. Like their credit cards, they show no foreign transaction fees and no minimum balance required. I plan on opening one of these accounts as well since it seems like TD is trending toward increasing fees.

For credit cards, my primary is a Capital One Venture card. I have a rate that is way lower than any current offerings from the early 2000's 1.9% advertising campaigns, and no foreign transaction fees. They also cover insurance on car rentals.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 09:47   #15

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Doesn't the OP first need to state where he lives? Even in the EU one can usually only open a bank account in a country where they hold a physical address.

For those in the UK, the Halifax Clarity credit card is the best in terms of spending abroad. Whilst the best debit card/bank account remains Starling. Neither have any loading, or other foreign exchange fees and both offer the Mastercard interbank exchange rate.

Elsewhere in Europe, the Revolut used as a prepay card is good, but the free ATM withdrawal limits have been declining over the years. Also I'd advise against leaving large sums of money with Revolut. It is backed by Lithuanias deposit guarantee scheme, but if it ever went bust, Lithuania would never be able to pay since Revolut has more deposits than the country's GDP.

https://moneysavinganswers.com/trave...eign-currency/
Mike, another good account for EU travel if UK based is Metro Bank who also have a Mastercard Debit card with zero fees and the interbank spot exchange rate.

I believe Nationwide (a Building Society not a Bank) also offer fee free EU transactions but I'm not 100% certain on that.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote