Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2006, 15:28   #1

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Talking Well we are on board :)

We moved onto the boat over the past few days, got the house sale closed, all the stuff liquidated, trashed and a very little bit in storage. Last official day at work was today , SO has a couple of weeks to go.

Moved the stuff we think we are keeping on to the boat and watched the water line move...still floating above designed water line but not by near as much.

It was much harder to do this process than I envisioned. Getting down to the what you think will fit was a big challenge -- and I know we are not done getting rid of stuff yet. Making progress over the next couple of weeks, then off we go.

Look for us in New England over the summer than south somewhere for the winter.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 15:52   #2

Congratulations Jon.

Enjoy your trip around the New England area!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 17:00   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Reading this, with envy! Hoping to join you out there, next year.

Enjoy!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 18:01   #4
cruiser

Fantastic, Jon! I know what you mean about paring down the items to what will fit. Even living aboard this winter, we had a huge amount of items we had to part with before we left the other day.

I'd like to run into you along the East Coast... I'm in the Long Island/Newport area for the summer (some trips to Maine). Post your location from time to time to see if we might be able to cross paths.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 18:09   #5

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Congrats! Just moved aboard myself this past Sunday. Hardest thing I'm finding to make room for are tools. Ended up using a bunch of smaller boxes, sorted by use.

Lying Clear Lake, TX (Galveston Bay) for the summer, then off to Florida this fall.

Fair winds,

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 04:59   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Jon, I'm glad I happened across your post - it's always great to hear from someone who persevered despite the long up-hill climb and came out on top. Good luck on the initial shakedowns and your passage S and E.

If you're like me, you'll never finish winnowing thru stuff, deciding what has earned a place aboard and what hasn't, and seemingly Non-Stop rearranging what is stored where. When that happens I just realize life is more interesting and varied than ashore...so I try not to let it get to me!

Take care and congratulations. Stay in touch...

Jack
Old 29-04-2006, 07:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I remember when I first moved aboard - for those things I didn't sell or give away, I rented a 12' x 12' storage shed for one year. At the end of the year, when I had decided that this WAS the life I wanted, those things that I hadn't used or couldn't absolutely justify keeping, were given away or tossed in the Salvation Army bin. Tis was a hard thing to do.

My prep and thought process are discussed on my web site if you want more details.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 08:36   #8
cruiser

Yes, Thomas makes a good point. We also secured a little tiny bit of storage, but I don't even remember what we have up there. Obviously, it's all junk if I haven't used it in a year. All I need to keep is some records from my previous business. The rest either fits on the boat or is junked.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 08:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Obviously there are a few things (such as paperwork - in my case, my dad's estate and, of course those previous tax returns) that need to be kept that aren't at all usefull on board. I bought two of those cheapie trunks (k-mart) and put that stuff in there and convinced my sister to stow them at her place. She is also keeping a few of my older sails until I can cut my dock lines again
Old 30-04-2006, 20:42   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Congrats Jon:

It takes alot of fortitude to do that. I don't know how I would do it if I had to get rid of everything I've accumulated. I don't want to go over 44' but I don't think there isa place for my table saw, band saw, drill press . . . I guess I could use my Bobcat welder as a genset. You think it would sink the waterline too deep?

Good luck with all the plans on the East Coast.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 20:54   #11
Kai Nui

Charlie, I have a table saw, drill press, router table, and enough hand tools to build from the ground up (Oh yea, and a chain saw) on board my 40 footer. I am creating space on the trimaran for them when we move to that boat. Where there is a will, there is a way. Rule #1, nothing goes on board the boat that does not have a permenant place. Rule #2 never go without. The things you want, the things you need, keep.
Old 30-04-2006, 23:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Kai ... dang it .. you beat me to the response ... I was going to tell him you had a mini-shop on your boat - figured he wouldn't believe it But, it IS true. But I have a better vice.
Old 30-04-2006, 23:18   #13
Kai Nui

I do not know if I would call your vices better than mine, but they are different Of course, having an actual workshop like your boat does would be nice. THat is the down side of having lots of tools on a smal boat. you have to stow them, which means, you usually (at least in my case) have to pull things out to get to them.
Old 30-04-2006, 23:44   #14

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Of couse we have all those tools on board, as well as enough spares to build a new boat. <g>

Seriously though all the tools and spares we on board before the stuff started coming, Kai but you are right it's all under or behind something else.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:18   #15

Boat: Easterly 30
Hi there, from NZ

well It has been one whole week since I moved aboard my new boat, and inbetween working im very much like the other people in that im also sorting the boat out for what stuff i will keep and what i will biff.

Im very please with what i I have done in just one week. I have designed and having biult ( as I type this) a boom tent, small bimini, cockpit lee cloths, mail sail cover, and next week I get the roof of the boat lined with a nice warm marine carpet.
I went to a carpet place on thurs and bought 3mx6m carpet 2nd hand and used the old carpet ( that was on the boat) as a pattern and the carpet man assisted me in tracing and cutting the carpet out. 2moro (sun) I will put the new carpet down and hopefully by the end of next week all the canvas work should be done and I can get it all ready.
sleeping on the boat for the first time was abit of a shock for the first few days and Ive got myself into a routine now and Im truly looking forward to the day I put the boat in the water.(hopefully before the end of the month).
I have also purchesed a few charts of the local sailing grounds and im planning my first trip away.
I got a 12volt car type fridge that fits perfectly under the dinette and im still on the lookout for a dvd,mp3,tv type combo unit that i can afford.the truth is between work this week and doing the work on the boat i have not missed tv at all, so in no real hurry to get one, I just want to go sailing.

to the people who have just moved on to there boat in the last week well done, its a great feeling to cut the ties from the busy world we live in, I hope that if i can get over this hurdle i think i can really get used to this life style.

have a great week everybody. and happy sailing.

Wayne
waynemonastra is offline   Reply With Quote