Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 02:19   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Washer/drier yes or no what brand

Dave, what fits one persons values does not necessarily fit with anothers. We have sailed with various washing machines for years and really value the convenience that they offer. We once had a remarkable Itaian washing machine; all plastic, and 12v. It was excellent and could just manage a double duvet cover. It was supplemented by a small 230v spin drier and between them it made wash day such an easier task. We also has an LPG powered clothes iron (still have it). Yes, we could have done the washing by hand but when we had the means to make life easier it was a logical process.
HOWEVER; when you have six on board (we have four children) laundry day becomes a massive chore - and a wash machine becomes a necessity unless you are willing to turn people into laundry slaves. Washing clothing is one thing, but bedding for six is another matter. We then upgraded to a twin tub washing machine which frankly was just a larger combined version of what we already had. It was just more convenient and being mains powered we could run it via our invertor. Later, after we got ourselves a watermaker, we upgraded to a full automatic domestic washing machine. Yes, it is bulky and water hungry, but it improves our quality of life and it also runs via an invertor (we dont/never had have a diesel gen set nor air conditioning). We instead place reliance on solar panels and also have a 2kw Honda generator as a back up or for running the mini Karcher pressure washer etc. The Honda is very rarely run - more an exercise in keeping it healthy.
It is often over looked that many postings are based on the USA / Caribbean where laundromats are more common. In many parts of the world this does not exist. It also doesnt recognise the costs or the schlepp of getting washing to a laundry facility. We were comfortable not having to pay US$10 per bag to have our laundry washed that our buddy boats were paying and having to dinghy to shore and find someone to do it, the wait until the next day and the second dinghy trip to collect, and then having $30-40 of clean dry laundry sat in the dinghy trying to ensure it didnt get a salt water splash despite being bagged.
Our next washing machine shall be a top loader automatic, most likely an LG, as they weigh less and are 'safer' and easier to operate. Front loaders tend to have counter weights in the base which, on our Bosch washing machine, was a large heavy lump of concrete.
If you can find the space, have enough solar power and a watermaker, then an automatic wash machine makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, even a small twin tub unit can work and actually save you water by allowing you to spin out more of the soap and use less rinse water.
Aussie friends of ours keep their twin tub under the forepeak berth and simply flop back the mattress to access it and run the hoses from the adjacent head - so it can work on a monohull as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I guess it takes all kinds but the idea of wasting space and power on a washer or drier is strange to me. Between wash and wear clothing, soap in a bucket, and sun drying I think most boaters are fully equipped. Of course many marinas offer on site laundromats for a better wash job and bed linens. Laundry room on board? how about a hot tub or pool table?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 02:36   #47
cruiser

We have a Splendide washer, it works just fine. We don't use the dryer option.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 05:25   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Dave, what fits one persons values does not necessarily fit with anothers. . .. when you have six on board (we have four children) laundry day becomes a massive chore - and a wash machine becomes a necessity unless you are willing to turn people into laundry slaves. Washing clothing is one thing, but bedding for six is another matter. . . .
Indeed. Without a washing machine, you won't have time for boat repairs. Big problem.

My next boat will have not only a washer/dryer like the present one does, it will have a dishwasher. Not only saves a ton of water and improves the hygenic quality of the wash, it leaves a lot more time for boat repairs
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:31   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I often complain about my laundry skills. I must not be doing it right,- I keep washing the same clothes over and over again!

Laundry is always easy at some convenient marina, but we often cruise without a marina stop for a month or more.

I'll risk a statement that might compromise my claim of good personal hygiene, but here is my confession. We can do well with washing clothes once a month or even six weeks!

Here's why:

1. We cruise in climates that required little clothing,- light T-shirts, running shorts or swim suits.

2. We bathe at the end of the day so that we enter our berths with clean bodies!

3. We NEVER bring anything exposed to salt spray below decks without a fresh water rinse.

4. We pre-bathe with soaping our clothes and swimming or dousing with sea buckets before stripping and fresh water bathing.

5. When it rains we collect it and we're in it!

6. We have several full sets of bed linens.

7. Sheets and towels become the bulk or our eventual laundry.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:38   #50

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
Taking a short survey
Thinking of installing a washer drier combo on our 42 sundeck trawler.
Have talked to some who say it's not worth the space, others say they would defiantly have one.
We cruise the Bahamas and sometimes laundry is a real pain.
Looking for pros and cons opinions and model recommendations. Space is limited so it would have to be a combo wash/dry same unit.
Any thoughts appreciated
IMHO We have a Panda washer (see Internet) it is 120VAC and does not have a dryer but it spins so dry that you only have to hang the clothes in the saloon for a short time. We have used it for over a year and it works flawlessly.
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:03   #51

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I agree, my splendide wd2100 spins so fast and long that the wash is almost dry when done. I washed my bed sheet, 4 towels, 3 T shirts, 2 shorts, some underwear and socks in one load (probably larger load than it should be). I started the wash at 4 pm, (extra long wash cycle) it was done by 6, no dry, just spin. It was lightly drizzling outside, I hung the bed sheet in the cabin with a fan blowing air out the forward hatch partly open and in 2 hours the sheet was dry enough to put on the hammock that I sleep on, not dry but dry enough. The spin dry is the most important function of the machine.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
Taking a short survey
Thinking of installing a washer drier combo on our 42 sundeck trawler.
Have talked to some who say it's not worth the space, others say they would defiantly have one.
We cruise the Bahamas and sometimes laundry is a real pain.
Looking for pros and cons opinions and model recommendations. Space is limited so it would have to be a combo wash/dry same unit.
Any thoughts appreciated

We had a spledid in a residential setting that replaced a full sized dishwasher.

The stainless steel wash tub is now a 1200 dollar minnow bucket.

The vibration was unbelievable.

The soap chute clogged and water poured out the front for a couple of hours. Not good on a boat. Maybe the newer ones come with a bilge pump.

What else ?

The quality of the wash is such that when the spin is finish the washed items will be wrinkled like you had never imagined possible. Take your laundry, spread between two sheets of plywood, park loaded dump truck on top = our results.

The vented dryer mechanism became loose and fell off during one of it's earth tremor-like spin cycles and, celebrations, it finally bit the dust.

Wouldn't have mattered if it was a 10 dollar part to fix.

Hopefully you will have received a better constructed unit.

To think a laundry drop-off service would have been more economical ?

So that's our splendid nightmare.

Best of luck with yours.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:54   #53

I will admit, I got mine for free at a local boat yard, somebody else had given up on it. It is well used. It doesn't have the little detergent drawer, it was missing, I've made many modifications to it, and will make many more, but I am happy with it and it will have a place on the boat.
Old 10-08-2016, 15:14   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Washer/drier yes or no what brand

I got this one a week or so ago, I do not have it on the boat and won't for some time yet as until we move aboard it's not needed
http://www.haier.com/us/products/lau...s/hlp21n.shtml
I paid right at $200 bucks on Amazon Prime, it works outstanding. Right now I'm measuring it's power consumption with a watts up meter and water with a marked 5 gl bucket, I'll know water and power consumption soon, it looks like it uses far more water than I thought it would, used 6 gls in the wash cycle without any clothes in it and the water setting set to high.
OK 12 gls of water and .05 KWH, which I think is 50 watt hours and I think that is 3.85 amp hours if battery voltage is 13.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:38   #55

Mine uses probably about the same on extra wash, I have it drain into a 10 gal tub, and it overflows it while emptying the last rinse. I suggest a rain catchment system and use the first rain water that is cleaning the decks to do laundry. Maybe have 30 or 40 gal tank dedicated to laundry.
Old 10-08-2016, 21:02   #56

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We have a 230v indesit Washer Dryer.

The washer is great, but the condensimg dryer function yields hot, damp clothes, not dry ones.
Compared to the 8-10 of us taking showers, the water usage from the w/d is negligible. Since I need to run the genset when I'm running the W/D (suppose I could rewire...) if can run the watermaker at the same time and make 40-80 gallons in the time it takes to run a load - much, much less than the load consumes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:53   #57

Boat: 45' CC ketch

First thin I did, when I came to my boat, was to install a 4 kg Candy Aquamatic washer (the only place I fiund was under the chart table, but it fits there ideally!). My fire officially stated that she plain refuses to move to the boat that doesn't have a washing machine. We have been happily using it for 2 months this summer, it works great. It is efficient, runs off inverter too, washes really well, and you can't hear it runnin - it is easy to forget you have a machine doing it's thing! Wife is happy, too! And we saved a lot by not taking loundry ashore, and it is not only the money I am talking about.

Dryer - I found it not an issue, loundry dries well hanging on a domestic Gimi clothes drying rack. BTW Gimi aluminium-steel rack ("Magnifico") while claiming to be rust-proof, is not. Steel is not stainless for sure - the frame rusts easily. Don't buy it.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:35   #58

For drying, you might try this
dryer clothes Picture - More Detailed Picture about Clothes dryer home use cylindric type Picture in Clothes Dryers from Zhoufeng Machinery & Technology Co., Ltd. | Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote