Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2022, 10:20   #1

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C
Wannabe to fulltime cruiser

It took us years of hard work, but my wife and I made it!!

We have been cruising fulltime now for almost a year.
We sailed south from San Francisco, California and are currently in the Sea of Cortez.

It has been a great experience, and we have enjoyed most of our new life so far. There have been a few moments that were miserable and many moments that were amazing.

I have not made very many posts on here, but I have lurked for years gaining knowledge and information. This forum helped keep my dream of cruising alive.

I would like to return the favor.

I'm hoping to have a "ask me anything about cruising" discussion from people who are still chasing their dream. I'm no expert, I can only share what has worked for us and what has not. I have learned a lot, made many mistakes, met a lot of great people, and have had a great time.

I hope other full timers will join in and share their experiences and knowledge as well. Everybody cruises a little differently.

Sam
Old 21-05-2022, 11:40   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Wannabe to fulltime cruiser

Thanks fir the post and the offer Sjrider,

I have a question: What if anything did you buy for the boat, when preparing, that you now realise was a bit of a waste of time and money because you don't use?
Old 21-05-2022, 12:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Thanks fir the post and the offer Sjrider,

I have a question: What if anything did you buy for the boat, when preparing, that you now realise was a bit of a waste of time and money because you don't use?

Thx Sjrider for this helpful post.

Grant, great question. One of the very best ever What We Learned posts is this one:

1500 Mile Interim Refit Report & 3596 Update & 5000 Mile link
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 12:12   #4

The first thing that came to mind was the honda EU2200 generator that we purchased for $1100 or so.

We have yet to use it at all. We have enough solar that we produce plenty of power during the day. I should have spent that money elsewhere.

Sam
Old 21-05-2022, 13:16   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

I made the mistake of buying a Spectra H2O maker while in Mexico and was unsure if I really wanted to jump the pond. Well after 3 years I sold that particular boat and the watermaker did not add a penny to it's value.
The smartest thing I did was to buy a "new generation" anchor. I won't say what make in order to avoid a controversy.

I thought it would be nice to have crew to stand watches but they (husband and wife) were a PITA. Basically took over the boat and began dictating where we were going to stop and how long. I would do crew again with just one other person with the understanding that..."when it gets old...you get off".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 14:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I thought it would be nice to have crew to stand watches but they (husband and wife) were a PITA. Basically took over the boat and began dictating where we were going to stop and how long. I would do crew again with just one other person with the understanding that..."when it gets old...you get off".
It is hard some times with just the two of us to agree on what to do or where to go. I cant imagine having to take on crew.

I also have a spectra water maker. I did not want to go with out a water maker. I do not like hauling jerry cans. The convenience of our water maker has been worth the price.

It would be nice to recoup some money when you sale. Did you enjoy the water maker while cruising?

I love our "new generation" anchor as well and don't regret that purchase at all. It has held well in some decent winds and waves.

There are plenty of people down here cruising with out new anchors and doing just fine. It is funny to me , that even if the weather is settled, that when a boat anchors near me I look to see what anchor he has and if he has chain or not.

Sam
Old 21-05-2022, 14:21   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrider View Post

It would be nice to recoup some money when you sale. Did you enjoy the water maker while cruising?

Sam

I never used the water maker once while in Mexico. However after repeated warnings to the husband and wife crew, they burned through the 100 gallons onboard in less than a week with washing dishes habitually. They never heard of making a few days of sandwiches or cooking a meal that could last a few days. I kept a 5 gallon jug of water stashed when the infamous day came the pump would not shut off due to the tank being empty. So I pulled out the 5gl. jug and turned the pump breaker off. We made it just fine into Puerto Escondito to water up, while they thumbed a ride to replenish their wine supply.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 14:43   #8

Im actually in Puerto Escondido right now, waiting on parts for our exhaust.

We use 6 gallons a day, and could easily use less if needed. We do not have salt water pumps so everything is fresh water. We only have a 35 gallon water tank, we run our water maker every 4 days.

100 gallon tank would be amazing, and easily doable without a water maker down here.

Sam
Old 21-05-2022, 14:53   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

How much solar and battery do you have? Do you have refrigeration?
Old 21-05-2022, 15:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
How much solar and battery do you have? Do you have refrigeration?
I have 500 watts. Two 200 watt panels and Two 50 watt panels. They are rigid and mounted on top of the bimini. I installed as much solar that would fit on the bimini. They are ran to mppt controllers.

Our boat did not have a built in refrigerator. So we have a small Engel freezer that came with the boat that is in a pull out drawer under the companion way, and we bought another Engel cooler to use as a refrigerator. I wish we had a built in fridge. We don't have a great spot to put the Engel that we use as a fridge, but they work well.

We have four 6 volt golf cart batteries, and a 12 volt start battery. That is all that will fit, I actually had to rebuild the battery box to get them in.

We also have a small microwave that we use daily. A small electric coffee maker, because I'm to impatient in the morning to use our pour over.
We run a countertop ice maker, every few days.

We also have a few laptops, phones, cameras, ipads, etc.

We have lots of extra power during the day. We make sure the batteries are fully charged before night fall, turn off the invertor at night so only the fridge/freezer are running and the fans. Its hot in Mexico. The batteries are between 60-70 % in the morning.

Coming down the coast of California it was cold and foggy for multiple days in a row, and the sun set at 5. So we did not have much extra power during the day. We were still able to charge phones and tablets. Did not use the microwave/coffee pot unless we had to motor. The batteries were always full by night time.

Sam
Old 22-05-2022, 13:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

One of the very best ever What We Learned posts is this one:

1500 Mile Interim
Refit Report & 3596 Update & 5000 Mile link
This was interesting, Stu.

What happened to Waterdog? I clicked on the link to his blog and nothing...

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 17:19   #12
cruiser

I'm a real wannabe.
Like sailing yet happy lonely living in desert between.
Seeking boat, I like I found a 'full keel' vessel to ring about today but more like a 7/8 keel. Should roll obstructions okay, just not as fluently as an immediate start keelson keel vessel. Underway water is obstructions of instruction via hull, they handle patience well. Yet knowing majority of live time is picky weather and known Lee harbour entrances, fun is a separate blade rudder.
Just gonna make the choice. Volume too. Wanting performance yet fattening hull out to accommodate all the gear and food of months on end supply. Can't have both.
I like to fear nature..found something with rudder slightly tucked in.. others with that model increased strength square to pitch of stock to reduce angles on helm and improve responses shear force is my guess. I'm hoping hers is an awkward original of design use of momentum. Reversing thought should make much less wear on anchorage and underway is more movement of lighter responses.

I'm get carried away with love of mind storm and man. Personal is within arms reach computer. Just cruising too bro. Although walking at moment.

On boat? Necessities? So much variation yet only thing I remember is ability to stow heavy low and lighter up top and stow properly because we ain't mother natures entire strength. Best we can gift reflection with is leaving a cleaner path
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser