Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 03:28   #1

Boat: Fisher 34
WALLAS combined cooker-heater

Hello everybody,
Looking for advice regarding this product. Talking about the Wallas Nordic 85NDT
Is there anybody to use such cooker-heater?
The ad looks quite appealing:
"...
uses diesel to power a highly responsive hob. A pre-assembled blower lid means that you can use this hob as a heater as well and is thermostatically controlled!

Imagine – being able to cook and heat on-board your boat with one single unit!
..."
But it is not cheap, while the max heating or cooking power is limited by 1900 W: would it be enough for 34 footer if its aimed cruising area be Scotland and Norway?
olddog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 03:51   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: WALLAS combined cooker-heater

I don't have one but they get positive reviews. The same underlying burner technology has been in use in other Wallas products for decades.

Whether 1900 watts will be enough by itself depends on your goals. It will be enough to make a difference. It will not be enough for you to have a warm boat on a cold night when there's frost.
Old 15-01-2021, 04:27   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

If you install the Wallas, I think you can get a better distribution of the heat with the Caframo Ecofan, no 12V needed. Any 12V fan will do of course.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 01:26   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I have run a Wallas - kerosene hob and oven for 20 years, full time live aboard. Although expensive they are extremely well built and easily maintained and repaired. Spare parts are not too expensive. The oven is small and marginal but the hob is excellent and hot enough to stir fry.

There is a requirement for high electrical power on start up, so the unit needs to be placed close to the battery bank and or have substantial cabling. A drained battery will fail to start it.
I don't have the heating hood but I am sure it would work well in a small boat.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:40   #5

Thank you guys for your comments!
I heard a problem of Wallas hob-heater in warm climate is it toasts you inside the boat when you use it for cooking, while yoh don't need any heating.
I have no decision yet..
Old 17-01-2021, 08:45   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog57 View Post
Thank you guys for your comments!
I heard a problem of Wallas hob-heater in warm climate is it toasts you inside the boat when you use it for cooking, while yoh don't need any heating.
I have no decision yet..

Any open hob inside a boat be it gas, electric or diesel will heat the room if there are no pots on it. The idea of of the fan hood is to spread the heat about.

Unlike a gas hob a diesel hob gives out dry heat so even if it is only used for cooking virtually no condensation as a result of the combustion.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Any open hob inside a boat be it gas, electric or diesel will heat the room if there are no pots on it. The idea of of the fan hood is to spread the heat about.

Unlike a gas hob a diesel hob gives out dry heat so even if it is only used for cooking virtually no condensation as a result of the combustion.
I understand that very well.
A friend who mentioned a problem here claims the Wallas needs about 15 min to get hot enough, and it excessively heats the cabin during this time.
Besides (my own conclusion after carefully reading the Wallas AD): the whole hob area is hot, while one uses only its left (hottest) part for cooking.
So, most probably perfect for colder climate, might still be problematic, for, say, Med in summer.

I have no decision, as I said before.

Tags
heater