Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 12:55   #1

Vero Beach

Can anyone suggest one (or several) liveaboard marinas close to Vero Beach, Florida?
Seriously looking to move to the coast as step one toward living aboard/ sailing.

Thanx!
B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:34   #2

Re: Vero Beach

We stayed in the mooring field there and were quite pleased. Good rates and good community. Short walk or dinghy ride to the beach. There are a few slips there, and a small yacht club next door.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 14:25   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

Or try Harbortown Marina, a little south in Ft Pierce?
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 17:11   #4

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

We stay in Vero Beach in the municipal mooring field every Spring and Fall while transiting the area. Marina community is great, marina facilities OK. What sets it apart IMHO is that Vero Beach has lots to do (art museum, theater, good supermarket, walk to beach, and more ... did I mention free bus service around town which stops at the marina). Also safe and clean town.

While the Fort Pierce (about 12 miles south of VB) municipal marina is nicer and has exceptional staff and better facilities ... no mooring field so a different price point. Also Ft Pierce has direct access to the Atlantic through a "Class A" inlet. However, the town of Ft Pierce doesn't have much going for it, no public transportation that I know of, and is not nearly as safe. Indeed on New Years day a forum member docked in FP posted photos of a 9mm bullet hole in his deck from a stray bullet. I happened to read the local FP paper yesterday, and the crime blotter was mostly drugs and gun arrests ... more than a few. As I type this I am docked at the FP municipal marina visiting friends ... I just govern myself accordingly around town.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 18:01   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

Yup. And I was having New Years Eve cocktails on that boat just before it was hit!
I like Vero a lot too, and the Marina at Harbortown is definitely a different price point, but the OP mentioned live aboard, and that is definitely easier on a dock than a ball.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote