Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2023, 09:43   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
VAT on boat transported to Italy

CAn anyone tell me how stringent the Italian authorities are about charging the reimportation VAT on European boats that have been outside the EU for more than 3 years.

I know they are supposed to charge it . but from what I have heard, it is hit or miss if they actually do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 15:42   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 45
Re: VAT on boat transported to Italy

I heard from an acquaintance that heard that someone was stopped for having an EU VAT paid boat whilst holding an Italian passport and was charged by the authorities the Italian VAT on their boat. The authorities alleged they were avoiding paying their own country taxes... The owner contested that they were not residents in Italy and they had in fact paid it elsewhere, but that didn't matter: the coast guard impounded the boat.

They also told me of a Brazilian flagged boat that arrived in Italy to visit and the coast guard argued the same thing: Italian passport holders must pay the VAT. The boat was impounded as the family couldn't pay.

So I'm a bit scared of visiting Italy since I have their passport (but live elsewhere). Our boat will be Polish flagged.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Italy