Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 19:01   #151

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Personally I’d like to listen to Marilyn Manson at concert level till my 1am bedtime but I’m pretty sure no one else, or not many others, would care to partake.
Not doing so is not going to kill or harm me and I find it no impact if I don’t. But if someone fires up CW then all bets are off.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:01   #152

Hey, Dockhead, caould you ranslate the French please? "Honi soit qui mal y pense." [Probably misspelled, from an old Nevil Shute novel.]
dpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:15   #153

Hey, Tarian; a] History gives up stories of folks who gave themselves CO posining with their generators. Seen stories for four decades on this. b] No one is complaining about the guy with the diesel genset mounted in a "quiet box". OBVIOUSLY these folks are talking about the noisemaker. c] LEARN SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION. Your posting indicates either ignorance [you don't know better] or laziness [you couldn't be bothered to check]. d] "Self-righteous gits"? My, how arrogant of you. Considering you can't even spell properly... Solar works. If you need AC you're in the wrong anchorage. Just sayin...
dpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:35   #154

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Pretty simple, we all just need to respect others, and a loud generator absolutely does effect the evening sleep time for others in the anchorage.

If the generator is quiet and no problem, then no big deal.

The self important righteous are those with the loud generators rumbling away all night long showing absolutely no respect for others .

I do l like the considerate skippers who have those quiet generators, excellent idea.

Most of our international sailing has been in Australia , the south pacific and caribbean, it is warm. We settle for sleeping in the buff, opening the overhead hatch, for air circulation, and maybe turn on the small fans next to the berth. No top bed covers are needed and no generator.

Most people quiet down about 10 pm, and get some R and R, for the next days adventures, activities, snorkeling, swimming, diving, sailing and partying down.

Never had the opportunity to sail Scotland, but we have, on two separate flying vacations to Ireland, skippered motor vessels up the River Shannon from Portumna, up past Carrick on Shannon. Both trips on the River were for a couple of weeks. Outstanding !

Ireland and the Irish people were fantastic, loved every minute, and never had a
problem. We had a marvelous time, and never a complaint . It was all good, peaceful marinas, sun, rain, cold, castles, pubs, hiking ashore, beautiful scenery, and made friends easily.

Heard narry a generator .

We wore layers to keep us warm and dry, and when ashore at the pubs, we hung up our jackets, ordered HOT WHISKEY , talked story with the fun local rascals, sang trad songs, and had a great time .

Life is an adventure

Friendship is precious cargo

Quiet anchorages are most appreciated

Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:42   #155

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
It's nice that you can apply your standards to other people, but other people can't apply theirs to you.
Not my standards. USCG, ABYC and probably several other marine standards organizations. Quite amazing how some people think they have the "right" to tell others when and where they can run their genset when they, themselves, don't even have a marine-approved unit onboard. So who is it that's not following the standards? If you anchor next to me and proceed to run a portable generator on your boat I'll tell you to leave because I don't want a floating shock and fire hazard by my boat.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:45   #156

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Not my standards. USCG, ABYC and probably several other marine standards organizations. Quite amazing how some people think they have the "right" to tell others when and where they can run their genset when they, themselves, don't even have a marine-approved unit onboard. So who is it that's not following the standards? If you anchor next to me and proceed to run a portable generator on your boat I'll tell you to leave because I don't want a floating shock and fire hazard by my boat.
Shock hazard?

I’ll maybe give you a fire hazard in comparison to marine generators if the generator near you has a carburetor, but to assume an air cooled generator is by default, incorrectly installed is a bit of a stretch.

A portable generator can be installed to ABYC and USCG standards by the way.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:17   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Shock hazard?

I’ll maybe give you a fire hazard in comparison to marine generators if the generator near you has a carburetor, but to assume an air cooled generator is by default, incorrectly installed is a bit of a stretch.

A portable generator can be installed to ABYC and USCG standards by the way.
No, it can't. Find me a marine surveyor that will approve it.

Does your little inverter genset have a bonded neutral? Every one I've ever seen is floating neutral. The shore power panel in your boat does not have bonded neutral either. Floating neutral is a shock hazard on a boat. Check your little Honda EU-series, it has 60 v per leg, 120V phase to phase. That is not a marine-legal unit.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:23   #158

Quote:
No, it can't. Find me a marine surveyor that will approve it.

Does your little inverter genset have a bonded neutral? Every one I've ever seen is floating neutral. The shore power panel in your boat does not have bonded neutral either. Floating neutral is a shock hazard on a boat. Check your little Honda EU-series, it has 60 v per leg, 120V phase to phase. That is not a marine-legal unit.
Uh... I don’t have a “little Honda EU series” generator. Contrary to popular opinion, I think they’re junk.

Yes, my neutral is bonded. It doesn’t take a genius to bond the floating neutral.

However, find me a single ABYC or USCG regulation prohibiting the installation of an air cooled generator that is small enough and light enough to be a portable.

You can’t.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:45   #159

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossny View Post
So... If I can't spend $5,000+ on a genset with sound enclosure and below waterline exhaust then which portable generator should I get to be considerant and respectful to others? The Honda is sayed to be quietest, is there a noise difference if it is run on propane?

The sound level will be the same with generators running on propane. The only difference is running on propane the generator will be slightly "de-rated" meaning that a generator normally capable of putting out say 2000 watts continuous may now only put out 1800 watts. (numbers are estimates). Also, propane gennys go through a LOT of propane!
BlueH2Obound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:46   #160

Boat: 35' sloop

First time I've heard that a 'portable' generator doesn't meet standards. Well, probably because it is portable? Not fixed in one place.
I happen to like my little Honda 2000. Can talk in the cockpit whilst it runs.
Only complaint was after a power outage after a storm. Fleea came up and said I shouldn't run it inthe marina. Then he asked for an extension cord.
Now about those fun loving fools who salom race around an anchorage with those jetskis ...
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:51   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Air cooled generators are not quiet on exhaust side which is what everyone faces out. I just listened to one this weekend on a stern platform at least 200 yards away. Very loud. They also are not marine compliant or necessarily safe though widely used. I feel if you are to run a genset in a busy harbor or anchorage it should be a properly installed one. Or point the noisy exhaust pipe back toward your cockpit [emoji3]

Just for clarification, when you state "marine compliant" are you referencing a specific standard, like ABYC Standards, NEC, or some such? Are you just voicing an opinion regarding air cooled generators? I AM aware of specific requirements for permanently installed generators in boats, but the term marine compliant eludes me! Thanks in advance for helping me to further understand this!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:01   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreacher View Post
Hey, Tarian; a] History gives up stories of folks who gave themselves CO posining with their generators. Seen stories for four decades on this. b] No one is complaining about the guy with the diesel genset mounted in a "quiet box". OBVIOUSLY these folks are talking about the noisemaker. c] LEARN SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION. Your posting indicates either ignorance [you don't know better] or laziness [you couldn't be bothered to check]. d] "Self-righteous gits"? My, how arrogant of you. Considering you can't even spell properly... Solar works. If you need AC you're in the wrong anchorage. Just sayin...

Actually, it's spelled POISONING . . . just sayin'!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:05   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yes, my neutral is bonded. It doesn’t take a genius to bond the floating neutral.
Floating neutral systems are split-phase.

In a residential or commercial electrical service governed by NEC, it’s common practice for the AC safety grounding conductor bus to be connected to the neutral bus. While this practice is fine on land, it most certainly does not work aboard a boat.

Shore power connections carry the bond ashore, never on the boat.

Generator connections on the boat are part of a much larger bonding system, which includes the DC negative and a transfer switch, usually in the form of an inverter.

Because a boat floats in a conductive medium (water), interconnecting the green and white wires aboard allows current returning to its source through three paths, the neutral, the now-connected green wire, and the water via bonded underwater metal hardware. You just wired yourself up a floating shock hazard. You might not feel it on your boat, but pull up alongside another boat and touch the bonded railings on the other boat. The difference in potential will lay you right out on the deck.

Measure the current leakage thru the water on your hacked portable system. It only takes 500 milliamps at a potential of 60V to kill a human.

Portables are designed for ashore for construction sites or camping where you have a high-resistance earth ground, and that's what the grounding lug is for on the genset. Water does not provide a high-resistance ground. You are not getting close to my steel-hull boat with your DIY hacked portable generator system on your boat. You are a hazard. Period.

I'd invite anybody to point out even one marine standards outfit that approves their use on boats.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:12   #164

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
...Ireland and the Irish people were fantastic, loved every minute, and never had a
problem. We had a marvelous time, and never a complaint . It was all good, peaceful marinas, sun, rain, cold, castles, pubs, hiking ashore, beautiful scenery, and made friends easily.

Heard narry a generator.

The Irish are so civilized . I think a few here should go spend more time with my gene pool. Or just come to Newfoundland where basic civility and caring for others remains the norm.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56   #165

Quote:
Floating neutral systems are split-phase.

In a residential or commercial electrical service governed by NEC, it’s common practice for the AC safety grounding conductor bus to be connected to the neutral bus. While this practice is fine on land, it most certainly does not work aboard a boat.

Shore power connections carry the bond ashore, never on the boat.

Generator connections on the boat are part of a much larger bonding system, which includes the DC negative and a transfer switch, usually in the form of an inverter.

Because a boat floats in a conductive medium (water), interconnecting the green and white wires aboard allows current returning to its source through three paths, the neutral, the now-connected green wire, and the water via bonded underwater metal hardware. You just wired yourself up a floating shock hazard. You might not feel it on your boat, but pull up alongside another boat and touch the bonded railings on the other boat. The difference in potential will lay you right out on the deck.

Measure the current leakage thru the water on your hacked portable system. It only takes 500 milliamps at a potential of 60V to kill a human.

Portables are designed for ashore for construction sites or camping where you have a high-resistance earth ground, and that's what the grounding lug is for on the genset. Water does not provide a high-resistance ground. You are not getting close to my steel-hull boat with your DIY hacked portable generator system on your boat. You are a hazard. Period.

I'd invite anybody to point out even one marine standards outfit that approves their use on boats.
My rebuttal to all that:

https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860

Also, I still don’t understand why you don’t think someone can’t wire a portable generator correctly, or why you think your water cooled generator is somehow magically different. Is there a magical wire running ashore to bond your neutral? Lol

Note: I don’t have ANY metal below the waterline or a Honda EU series generator. Your anger is quite misplaced. Lol

Your boat has SIGNIFICANTLY hight chances of shocking me than mine of shocking you. The only way I can shock you is if I drop an electric appliance overboard by mistake. You could have any number of wiring problems providing stray current through your below the waterline metals.

In fact, your entire hull is a hazard. Steel?? One wire chafing through is all it takes.

Take your rage elsewhere. You have no clue what you’re talking about in comparing my boat to yours.

Tags
generator