Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 10:47   #31

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

It depends. Until we added more solar, we had a small Roybi generator that was loud. But if we ran it during the day or not late at night we had only a few complaints. We also had a D400 wind generator that doesn't make any noise at all.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:03   #32

Boat: Coast 34

Carbon monoxide is a concern on the boat running the gas gender, when we had one we put it in the dinghy and ran the cord back to the boat. Less noise and less fumes.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:55   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For what it's worth, we have a 4.2 Kw genny in a sound enclosure in our cockpit sail locker with an exhaust gas/water separator and water discharge below the water line. When it's running, there is only a gentle hum in the cockpit and one cannot hear the thing on deck from amid-ships fwd. Below, with the AC on, one cannot hear the hum of the genny over the sound of the fan blowing cool air into the salon. No one has ever mentioned the thing in an anchorage tho' a few were surprised to discover we had it on when they came for a visit and all were happy to resort to a nice cool salon for a respite from summer afternoon heat (southwest Florida). All that said, once we have cooled the boat down and charged the batteries and the sun has set, we really don't need the thing over-night in most anchorages.

The long and short of it is the character of the installation. Done well, few if any will even notice that one has a genny.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:28   #34

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
...what is etiquette...
...the usual longtime agreement...all agreeing with each other...

What a lot of nonsense...Who then is the selfish git me or you
Actually Tarian I reckon that you've answered the first question yourself. People agreeing with each other over a long period of time - in any aspect of life - as to what is/isn't acceptable behaviour is a pretty good definition of what etiquette is.
If you're in favour of contesting those norms as accepted/agreed by the majority, then I suppose that the answer to your second question is fairly self-evident too.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:29   #35

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What’s a git? Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:44   #36

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What’s a git? Lol
A term of insult with origins in English denoting an unpleasant, silly, incompetent, annoying, senile, elderly or childish person. As a mild oath it is roughly on a par with prat and marginally less pejorative than berk.

You'll be asking next what a prat or berk is
Old 02-09-2020, 13:26   #37

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
A term of insult with origins in English denoting an unpleasant, silly, incompetent, annoying, senile, elderly or childish person. As a mild oath it is roughly on a par with prat and marginally less pejorative than berk.

You'll be asking next what a prat or berk is
Here in northern Washington State there's a place called "Berk's Gym". I always wanted to go in just to see them...
Old 02-09-2020, 13:27   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I've used a portable (Honda 2K) air-cooled generator for about 12 years. We frequent crowded anchorages. You can barely hear it from the 40 feet away. We don't run ours between 10pm and 8am. However, we were anchored beside a boat that ran one all night. We couldn't hear his genny inside of our cabin and could barely hear it when on deck.
I agree. I was rafted to a boat that ran their Honda and I couldn't hear it down below on my boat. Their wind generator on the other hand made me insane.

I keep waiting the thread of boats showing up at an anchorage and ruining the boats there view!
Old 02-09-2020, 13:35   #39

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

I have a generator. I changed the exhaust as it was as noisy as an engine, with that hum, thump and splash which annoys me and most other sailers, powerboaters and cruisers I know. The gas/water separator and underwater water outlet (as SVHyLyte says above) makes it hard to hear any noise even 10 metres away. My own approach is to use my generator only between 0900 and 1200 and 1500 and 1800.
I go sailing to be in nature. If I were unlucky enough to be in the same anchorage as some other posters above, I would be annoyed. So would be the great majority of other people in the anchorage. ‘Anti-social’ is the right word for people who don’t care about their effect on others. Noise, pollution from fumes and from oils in cooling water, and inconsiderate use of dinghies, are also insults and injuries to the natural world. Using nature’s own diesel or petrol fuel to do so raise this selfishness to contempt.
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:14   #40

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Why is this so difficult? Be kind. Be considerate. When you are out in a natural environment let the sounds of nature predominate.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:43   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Why is this so difficult? Be kind. Be considerate. When you are out in a natural environment let the sounds of nature predominate.
How is running a generator unkind or being inconsiderate?? I should not have to apologize for wanting hot water, and the ability to store food in my fridge, or flush my head, or run a faucet to clean dishes and bath.

Would it be considered inconsiderate (or more accurately intolerant) to force us to sit in the dark wreaking of BO and eating canned food to ensure others get to enjoy their slice of tranquility? OR are we expected to invest large sums of money in water makers, solar and other off-grid technology for the benefit of others?

Your no more entitled to be there than we are. Feel free to find your own corner of paradise, as YOU define it.

For that matter, am I entitled to dinghy over and ask you to stop your kids from screeching as they splash around and enjoy paradise? How about your barking dog? How about your music?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:47   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Why is this so difficult? I also have and sometimes use a Honda EU2000i generator. I do try to limit my use to daytime and to keep the rpms in the eco mode so as to not disturbed others. What’s so difficult about be kind?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Why is this so difficult? I also have and sometimes use a Honda EU2000i generator. I do try to limit my use to daytime and to keep the rpms in the eco mode so as to not disturbed others. What’s so difficult about be kind?
I think some people feel entitled to fully enjoy the use of their things wherever and however they decide, regardless of how this might impact others. It's part and parcel of the whole "me me me" phenomenon.

This isn't new and I'm 100% in agreement with you and the others who are against this kind of abhorrent behaviour. There are only so many resources to go around and we need to share them respectfully with everyone.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 15:01   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

Seems a waste of time arguing that 1 person’s pleasure is more important than anothers. In the end that is what this thread is about.
Old 02-09-2020, 15:27   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I think some people feel entitled to fully enjoy the use of their things wherever and however they decide, regardless of how this might impact others. It's part and parcel of the whole "me me me" phenomenon.

This isn't new and I'm 100% in agreement with you and the others who are against this kind of abhorrent behaviour. There are only so many resources to go around and we need to share them respectfully with everyone.

I think humans have always been nasty, “me, me, me” animals. Only more recently have we found civilized society.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator