Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 08:38   #16

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcknight007 View Post
Hello All,
Here's my question? Do use a generator(for ac, charging and everything else) while on the hook? Any complainants? Just wanted to know since I just got my brand new generator. My neighbor(Capt Jack) keeps telling my that in a crowded anchorage there going to cut loose my anchor chain!! Don't want to believe it, but I guess that's why i'm asking all of you out there... Thanks again for your answers...
Your profile says you have a Catalina 42 so I assume your generator is not a noisy Honda serenading the anchorage on your deck.

The on board, water cooled, enclosed generators such as you should have on your boat are very quiet and if the anchorage is "crowded" I guarantee you that many others are running theirs and you may not even know!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:45   #17

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

No one ever complained about not running a generator; but a significant number of folks have complained about running one.

Problem is that often the desire to run a generator is on a hot, calm, windless night to power the AC while sleeping; just the time the sound will most annoy others.

It always concerns me when someone says things like my generator is quite and does not bother others and they are just annoyed because they can't afford one. It concerns me more to think, justified or not, that it is OK to annoy others. More than once I have helped others or have had others help me. I have to wonder how willing others would be to help me if I ran my generator at night to sleep in AC and knew I was annoying them.

Truth be told I have a big solar array and a big house bank. While I have a Honda 2000 I can't recall running it except for the monthly start it up and run it for half an hour to maintain it; except once I ran it while using my grinder to finish some fiberglass work.

My philosophy is it is better to keep the peace even if it means a little discomfort to me since I may need someone to help me out later.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47   #18

Boat: SOLD: Grand Banks 46 Cockpit

Suggestion 1) Have a good muffler.
Suggestion 2) No Gen after 2100.
Slow Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03   #19

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

What a tragedy in this time of covid etc we would not help another fellow human in trouble because my generator upset them ..
What low life would do such a thing . Too many precious people out there with a God complex..
To many with the attitude not in my little spot of paradise. Even though it's not there country .
If some one is to noisy for you precious beauty sleep then go somewere else .
If you seek tranquility do not anchor in a busy anchorage do not expect to hear the whales singing. Let people have a genny. On and a party if they like . Put ear plugs in.
Some people on here think if they have sailed for 30years and thousands of miles they have some right to be superior
You do not . Run your genny. Be respectful of time and hey that person on the boat might have a medical condition that they need AC on at night . But no we have judged them and trialed them based on our own self righteous behaviour.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:27   #20

tarian shows how the spirit of yachting has deteriorated . what a shame. glad i did mine when the camaraderie was there.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:28   #21

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

If you have an on-deck gen like Honda, I would appreciate it if you only ran it for a couple hours in the middle of the day, but totally understand your need for that on boats with little room for solar.

Normal below-decks gen with good enclosure and water muffler are never a problem for us except for the rare cases of being close and downwind.

Consider using fans instead of AC while sleeping. They run easily from batteries, and we found them just fine for sleeping in hot humid conditions with no wind (Panama). Much better for your neighbors and for the environment.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:29   #22

Boat: Sabre 402

Aren't generators a bit like jet skis? How do people feel about them? Even quiet generators set up vibrations that carry through the water a long distance and are noticeable on boats that don't have motors running. Is running a generator like taking your Harley out for a spin? The roads are public, but the noise impacts more people than just the rider. At least the Harley, theoretically, moves along so the noise goes away. Is running a generator like throwing garbage overboard in an anchorage? Or not using your holding tank? Or turning up the stereo to 11? It is fine to think about what one person wants from his sailing experience, but the "me" generation needs to think about the "we", too.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:31   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's heartening to see the vast majority of people here recommend basic civility and common courtesy as the guiding principle.

Be considerate and respectful of others and you'll be fine. Those who can't comprehend that rights come with responsibilities are the ones that screw it up for everyone.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:35   #24

Boat: Caliber 47

First in last In using a generator in a crowded anchorage for any extended time is just wrong. Hour or two around dinner and unplug it and put it away. We're talking the little aircooled gas driven units
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:42   #25

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I dont have a genset and most of the time people who do are respectful of others . If you dont run it when after dark most people will be ok.
My pet peeve is starting a generator and then leaving so it does not bother you but annoys the rest .
Even worse are the folks who put their potables on deck and then leave .
Old 02-09-2020, 09:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
tarian shows how the spirit of yachting has deteriorated . what a shame. glad i did mine when the camaraderie was there.
Your assumption is silly as generators years ago were more noisy now. You I assume fall into that age group were you have forgotten your time out having fun and using your boat . Like most cruisers they are of the older generation. When looked there little peace and quite and have a God complex of it was better in my day . Frankly we are bored of hearing it was better in my day .
If you want peace and quite go to a retirement village and allow those to live
How many on here are telling people to use a generator how many are telling people not to do it because it might upset someone
Honestly people move on with your attitude of this if someone wants to run their generator so what. What exactly are you going g to do about it qoute your golden rules based on you age because it was better in my day attitude
And any assumption of my generation to being social and courtesy to people and helpful . I can guarantee that I am more laid back more tolerant to others and will drop everything to aid a fellow sailor even though they have a Honda generator..(I was brought up to respect all)
Again the misconception that older retired people have more empathy. Not true in all my cruising the retired God complex are the worst . They Google at you as you anchor . They have an opinion of your boat. They do not like your kids making noise and god forbid you are 100m of them passing in your dinghy
So do not assume anything about anyone this again is the problem of those cruisers who think they are better and above the rest enjoying the same spot.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:49   #27

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...at anchor breathing others' genset fumes. Not really very considerate, because of the racket, as well as the exhaust smell...
'Inconsiderate' was an Austrian guy who we came across in Greece about 15 years ago: He dropped anchor and settled in perhaps 30m/100' off our bow, then loaded his generator into the dink, fired it up and with a long painter and electric lead dropped it back 20m off the stern so that the noise/fumes didn't disturb them in their cockpit
Old 02-09-2020, 09:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's heartening to see the vast majority of people here recommend basic civility and common courtesy as the guiding principle.

Be considerate and respectful of others and you'll be fine. Those who can't comprehend that rights come with responsibilities are the ones that screw it up for everyone.
Comprehend what what are your rules what should we do to make sure your happy running a generator near you .
Who made you the rule maker
See this is the point what is etiquette there are so many .you do not critique those on this thread that say go away with you generator or anochor out . And you do not condone that action. Do people have the right to tell people to go away because their generator is on a 9 am what about 4PM were do you stop would would help me if I was in trouble but my generator upset you .. real questions not ******** answerd
I have a medical conditions I may need to run my generator at night do I need to ask the anchorages permission I know how about a put a red flag up to let everyone know
Honestly what a load of tosh
And it's the usual longtime agreement cruisers on here all agreeing with each other
What a lot of nonsense we live in a noise filled world do I tell my neighbour to stop cutting his graa. Tell them their kids are noisy. Tell them not to give to work at 4am as a doctor because it wakes me up or do I become tolerant of my fellow human been and understand we all have different needs and lives
But as long as it does not disturb you and you precious tranquility
Who then is the selfish git me or you
Old 02-09-2020, 10:27   #29

I've used a portable (Honda 2K) air-cooled generator for about 12 years. We frequent crowded anchorages. You can barely hear it from the 40 feet away. We don't run ours between 10pm and 8am. However, we were anchored beside a boat that ran one all night. We couldn't hear his genny inside of our cabin and could barely hear it when on deck.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:39   #30

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Comprehend what what are your rules what should we do to make sure your happy running a generator near you .
Who made you the rule maker
See this is the point what is etiquette there are so many .you do not critique those on this thread that say go away with you generator or anochor out . And you do not condone that action. Do people have the right to tell people to go away because their generator is on a 9 am what about 4PM were do you stop would would help me if I was in trouble but my generator upset you .. real questions not ******** answerd
I have a medical conditions I may need to run my generator at night do I need to ask the anchorages permission I know how about a put a red flag up to let everyone know
Honestly what a load of tosh
And it's the usual longtime agreement cruisers on here all agreeing with each other
What a lot of nonsense we live in a noise filled world do I tell my neighbour to stop cutting his graa. Tell them their kids are noisy. Tell them not to give to work at 4am as a doctor because it wakes me up or do I become tolerant of my fellow human been and understand we all have different needs and lives
But as long as it does not disturb you and you precious tranquility
Who then is the selfish git me or you
Tarian, please, it's only a cruising forum!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator