Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 14:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Using a generator while on the hook?

Hello All,
Here's my question? Do use a generator(for ac, charging and everything else) while on the hook? Any complainants? Just wanted to know since I just got my brand new generator. My neighbor(Capt Jack) keeps telling my that in a crowded anchorage there going to cut loose my anchor chain!! Don't want to believe it, but I guess that's why i'm asking all of you out there... Thanks again for your answers...
ramcknight007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 14:20   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Depends a lot on what generator you got and how long you plan to run it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 14:37   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

If your generator is a diesel water cooled in a sound cocoon, it will be a low muffled sound hardly discernible above the wind in the rigging, slap of wavelets or chirping of crickets. If it is well maintained and not blowing black smoke, in a anchorage with any breeze at all it will hardly be noticed. If there is zero breeze then running the genny may cause a cloud of exhaust that is unpleasant, not only for your fellow cruisers but also yourself with a risk of back draft CO.

However if you have an aircooled gas generator sitting on deck, then because of the really annoying exhaust and mechanical frequency they will agitate many cruisers. CO from gasoline is more prevalent than diesel.

Most wind generators are equally annoying in winds over 12 knots.

It is sort of like having a small moth flying around your bedroom vs a mosquito.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 14:41   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

don't listen to the riff raff that really are only complaining because they don't have a generator (unless of course you have a Harbor Freight type noisily one in which case you have to anchor over with the wind generator people)
Old 01-09-2020, 15:04   #5

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Depends a lot on what generator you got and how long you plan to run it.

And obviously preferably not at night and early in the morning. If possible, stay abaft and keep some distance in crowded anchorage , believe me, it would be appreciated.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 23:10   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Never had a genset. Have spent nights at anchor breathing others' genset fumes. Not really very considerate, because of the racket, as well as the exhaust smell. Doing your best to anchor further out or off to one side further out definitely will be appreciated by those who don't use them.

Ann
Old 01-09-2020, 23:35   #7

Boat: Retired from CF

Well IMHO it all depe3nds on who is first at the anchorage . If it is me , well i run a Gen set nearly every night in the winter here because i work from home and have a fair power consumption. I am the one that runs the Gen set after 5 PM and depending on my power need i run it for several hours. If you come after me to the anchorage , drop your anchor further away , i generally dont appreciate people coming too close to me , Gen set or no Gen set.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 00:17   #8

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have a well sound proofed gennie (water cooled diesel, in a sound proof box, in a sound proof cabin), and have only had the odd grumble...no serious complaints

however we are careful not to run the gennie after dark plus make a point of 'apologising for the noise' to anyone who is nearby

amazing how far a little goodwill will go

cheers,
Old 02-09-2020, 01:50   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Totally depends on the generator. Some of them are inaudible -- heavy duty low speed generator with sound enclosure and water separator muffler simply cannot be heard in many cases. Just be careful not to be fumigating anyone downwind of you. I have one of these and run it day or night without concern -- no one can even tell it's running -- hell I can't tell myself whether it's running, if I'm on deck.

But if you have a noisy one then don't disturb people with it. Anchor off away from the crowd and don't run it early in the morning or late in the evening.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:53   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Ann and others talking about anchoring location are making a good point. Any air cooled generator run should be done at the extreme far edge of the anchorage or in an outer harbor if possible. That’s what I do.

We had a great northern lights on the monohull. It was a generator based boat and should have had more solar.

So I brought along a little Honda for the daily runs to reduce wear and tear and keep the huge generator from running under loaded to charge batteries. I’d never run it inside a crowded harbor or anchorage. My general rule is if anyone can hear it, only run it for 2 hours max in the middle of the day around noonish. If we’re all alone out there, I’ll run it longer if necessary. I don’t run it at night because who wants to be kept awake by a generator at night??? Not me!

Even in the hottest places, sleep becomes possible when temps dip below 80. So you could run it for an hour before bed to freeze out the whole boat and go to sleep. Then the outdoor temps are dropping at the same time the indoor temps are rising from turning the AC off. Resulting in good sleep.

I’ve also noticed that in urban areas, no one notices a generator running because they are used to constant noise.

Definitely just be aware of who is around you and have a heart.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:08   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
. . . Definitely just be aware of who is around you and have a heart.
That's really it, in a nutshell Well said.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:10   #12
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

The High pressure Pump on the water maker makes considerably more noise than our generator we need to run it, so it drowns out the genny noise - No complaints from making water yet in an anchorage
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:25   #13

fumes are as bad as the noise
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:26   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Here in the Pacific Northwest all the anchorages are quiet. Until this Covid/Borders Closed/Not Going North This Year/ year most were very uncrowded and we ran our generator whenever we wished as we were most likely the only ones there.

So this year it seems that the San Juan Islands are looking like Times Square on New Year's Eve and we are more aware. My basic rule of thumb is to run it an hour or three between 8 am and 7 pm and keep an eye on my neighbors annoyance level. If I catch them standing on the bow with bitch wings and glaring, then it's time to turn it off.

Niceness counts.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:29   #15

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Run your genny were you like the 0cean is not owned by anyone and they can grumble all they like . It is not their air. Telling people to go anchor somewere else is the height of snobbery if your running a decent quiet generator .with little noise . Just wave and smile at the miserable gits with sour faces. Honestly get a life.
As for co poisoning this has to be a joke right do people not know that atoms mix. And the big wide open air will dilute any co. To such a small intake it is non worth worrying about unless you are right next to them sucking in the fumes.
People need to respect all on the water and if a genset. Needs to run .its not to Annoy the kings and queens of the Anchorage
Common courtesy works both ways during sleeping time keep it down any other time that is life .
Stare at me all you like with my generator going . What exactly are people going to do call the noise police
I know get a committee and form a vigilante group come over with your dingies and give dogs abuse that's very helpful .
What a bunch of self rightoious gits
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator