Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 08:26   #106

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
You’re right, there is no comparison between our weather here and the brutal heat/humidity that you have. I have done a lot of cruising on the Chesapeake, and in the tropics— and I have used my gen & a/c to cool the boat down in the evening... but then it gets shut off overnight.
We also do this, but only on our second night at anchor after the engines have cooled off a bit closer to ambient temperature. A pair of 12 cylinder Detroits can retain a massive amount of heat! Surprisingly one source of heat was our fuel tanks: the Detroits return so much hot fuel to the tanks while running that they get heated up to the point that the cabin sole is warm over them. It’s great in the winter though....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28   #107

Boat: Cooper 416

I have a NexGen generator on my sailboat. Used it for the first time this summer in anchorages in Desolation Sound BC. We were rafted to my friends boat and he remarked it was no noisier than an outboard motor coming from a distance off. I only ran for an hour or so at a time, and did so during the day when boats were coming and going. No complaints, actually donít think anybody even noticed. All depends on what and when youíre running.
dleathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:29   #108

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43í

The diesel generator with a water lift muffler and a sound box runs the refrigerator, freezer, ice maker, water heater, air conditioners, stove, grill, fans, ac lights, etc. and you ask if we run it at anchor. Maybe if we wanted to pretend for a few minutes that we had a sailboat but until that happens, yes, it runs whenever we're away from the dock.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:35   #109

Boat: sloop 35'

So... If I can't spend $5,000+ on a genset with sound enclosure and below waterline exhaust then which portable generator should I get to be considerant and respectful to others? The Honda is sayed to be quietest, is there a noise difference if it is run on propane?
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:36   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
The diesel generator with a water lift muffler and a sound box runs the refrigerator, freezer, ice maker, water heater, air conditioners, stove, grill, fans, ac lights, etc. and you ask if we run it at anchor. Maybe if we wanted to pretend for a few minutes that we had a sailboat but until that happens, yes, it runs whenever we're away from the dock.
You forgot one essential item: the ice cream maker! There are holier than thou virtue signalers out there, mostly on sailboats, but their kids sure seemed to like our ice cream...... Their parents didn’t seem to mind filling their water can from our watermaker either.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:40   #111

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Run your genny were you like the 0cean is not owned by anyone and they can grumble all they like . It is not their air. Telling people to go anchor somewere else is the height of snobbery if your running a decent quiet generator .with little noise . Just wave and smile at the miserable gits with sour faces. Honestly get a life.
As for co poisoning this has to be a joke right do people not know that atoms mix. And the big wide open air will dilute any co. To such a small intake it is non worth worrying about unless you are right next to them sucking in the fumes.
People need to respect all on the water and if a genset. Needs to run .its not to Annoy the kings and queens of the Anchorage
Common courtesy works both ways during sleeping time keep it down any other time that is life .
Stare at me all you like with my generator going . What exactly are people going to do call the noise police
I know get a committee and form a vigilante group come over with your dingies and give dogs abuse that's very helpful .
What a bunch of self rightoious gits
I'm with you 100%, I personally don't use anchorages that are crowded for just this reason.....the isolated instances of complaints I've received over the years of running my sound proofed 9kw northern lights to run the AC has been enough to justify a hunt for remote anchorage to ensure a quite restful nights sleep without a whiny wanna be skippers unjustified complaints..I can barely hear it standing in my pilot house with the genny directly below me!!
Zero smoke from the exhaust too....but they can see the water being discharged and know I'm running my genny which is all they need to start complaining.
Some people just like to whine...
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:48   #112
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemann View Post
I have never understood a boater who goes to such extreme lengths to escape the noise and confusion of civilization celebrates his arrival by starting a generator and letting it run for hours to entertain his neighbours.
To escape a situation you have no control over... Why go to such extreme lengths to float in a crowded situation you have no control over? Anchor alone, away from whatever you cannot cope with. When I want to be alone, I anchor alone. When I want to party I anchor near bars, restaurants and the flotillas.
JRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:50   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossny View Post
So... If I can't spend $5,000+ on a genset with sound enclosure and below waterline exhaust then which portable generator should I get to be considerant and respectful to others? The Honda is sayed to be quietest, is there a noise difference if it is run on propane?
I had a Yamaha 1000 as well as a 2400 for earthquake and glamping use at our old home and while they are both relatively quiet they are not quiet enough to be run overnight on deck. They are suitable for daytime and evening use though. Just donít get one of those open frame job site units from Home Depot.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:53   #114

Boat: Rafiki 37

As boats have gotten bigger, and more complex, and also more independent, I bet there has been a corresponding rise in the "screw everyone else," attitude that some here profess. The same can be seen in campgrounds with the now dominance of large RVs taking over.

Twenty years ago you would have been run out of town if you started a generator in a provincial/state park. Today, they have to set up special "no generator" areas just so people can hear the birds chirping. The same can be said for cruising boats. I can still recall the first time I heard a noisy gas generator start up on a boat in the same anchorage. It was a shock.

BTW, anyone who believes their little Honda is quiet is delusional. I own, and do run, a Yamaha 1000 gas generator at times. It was the quietest on the market (which is why I bought it), and it is still pretty damn noisy. And as any boater knows, noise travels long and easy over the flat calm of a still anchorage.

I am not saying people shouldn't run their generators, or their big diesels, to keep things charged. Just use a bit of common courtesy -- the kind your mother taught you. If you must run them, don't do it too early, or too late. And do your best (as most here do) to muffle the noise and/or anchor far enough away.

To the "screw you" crowd, all I can say is you are part of the bigger social problem. Get your head out of your own "a$$holes" and see that you're not the only people who live in this common world.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:26   #115

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As boats have gotten bigger, and more complex, and also more independent, I bet there has been a corresponding rise in the "screw everyone else," attitude that some here profess. The same can be seen in campgrounds with the now dominance of large RVs taking over.

Twenty years ago you would have been run out of town if you started a generator in a provincial/state park. Today, they have to set up special "no generator" areas just so people can hear the birds chirping. The same can be said for cruising boats. I can still recall the first time I heard a noisy gas generator start up on a boat in the same anchorage. It was a shock.

BTW, anyone who believes their little Honda is quiet is delusional. I own, and do run, a Yamaha 1000 gas generator at times. It was the quietest on the market (which is why I bought it), and it is still pretty damn noisy. And as any boater knows, noise travels long and easy over the flat calm of a still anchorage.

I am not saying people shouldn't run their generators, or their big diesels, to keep things charged. Just use a bit of common courtesy -- the kind your mother taught you. If you must run them, don't do it too early, or too late. And do your best (as most here do) to muffle the noise and/or anchor far enough away.

To the "screw you" crowd, all I can say is you are part of the bigger social problem. Get your head out of your own "a$$holes" and see that you're not the only people who live in this common world.

THIS!!! Exactly all of this. Sums it up perfectly, thank you.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:34   #116

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

And while your at it, Blast your stereo full volume and pump your heads directly into the sea...

I canít believe some of these comments.

As one said, it depends on how loud it is, the fumes it spews, etc. I have a Panda gen set that emits almost no noise. We use it all the time to heat water, charge batteries or run AC on a hot day. On the other hand, the guy who is anchored 50 ft from me with an air cooled Honda gen set on his bow just to power his guitar amp to play badly when the rest of us want some peace is just being obnoxious. Itís about courtesy If itís noisy and thatís the best you can afford then just limit its run time. Too many times I see a noisy gen set running just to power AC 7x24. Open the hatches and let the breeze in

The ďscrew everyone else, itís a free oceanĒ comments say a lot about whatís wrong with boating today.

My $0.02
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:37   #117

If I anchor in an empty anchorage and later a bunch of other boat also arrive and anchor near me am I expected to shutdown my power? We typically stay 3 to 5 days in a good spot and there are others coming and going in that time. Should I be required to conform to the expectations of every new arrival or should they accept that we got here first and that we run our generator? Doesn’t courtesy go in both directions?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:40   #118

I have a water cooled enclosed diesel which is in our engine room. Pretty quiet. But I still try and run it 11 am to 1 pm. Usually no one cares at midday.
Selidster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:04   #119

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
If I anchor in an empty anchorage and later a bunch of other boat also arrive and anchor near me am I expected to shutdown my power? We typically stay 3 to 5 days in a good spot and there are others coming and going in that time. Should I be required to conform to the expectations of every new arrival or should they accept that we got here first and that we run our generator? Doesnít courtesy go in both directions?
I can't believe adults are having this discussion... Arriving first doesn't give you ownership of a common space.

If your generator is loud, yes, turn it off during quiet hours, or as others have flippantly suggested, move. Or here's a thought, if you must run it all the time, then go around and ask if anyone minds.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:29   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Here in the Pacific Northwest all the anchorages are quiet. Until this Covid/Borders Closed/Not Going North This Year/ year most were very uncrowded and we ran our generator whenever we wished as we were most likely the only ones there.

So this year it seems that the San Juan Islands are looking like Times Square on New Year's Eve and we are more aware. My basic rule of thumb is to run it an hour or three between 8 am and 7 pm and keep an eye on my neighbors annoyance level. If I catch them standing on the bow with bitch wings and glaring, then it's time to turn it off.

Niceness counts.
If you drop the hook away from others, try my Honda 2000i isn't going to bother anyone. If I need my batteries topped off then that's what I'm going to do. My refrigerator is an older one and it draws down one of my house batteries every night. I'm not going to cross the San Juan Straights without a craft that is 100% and that means the electrical system too. My Honda is 58db. The wind is carries this away very well. Besides, do you keep your children quiet, not able to yell and cheer when jumping into the water and playing? When do the drunks call it a night and shut down their noise?
There are plenty of places that you can drop the hook where you are alone even during this time of year with the cov.19. People have to live and enjoy life. Shut off your boom boxes with 15" speakers and 20000 amps of power. Run it from noon to 13:00 and that's it. That's going to go over well isn't it. Stay away from Roach Harbor or all of the other traps.

Have a great day/summer/winter and life.
GetAway2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator